Pilot Sport Cups GONE!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it looks like my fears of the 345/30 18 becoming extinct have come to play. I'd been watching the Tire Rack stock for months now. Well I went on a couple of days ago and noticed that they pulled the size. I went on the Michelin site and they are gone as well. Big bummer! I know the Kumho's are cheaper, but I'm weird. I won't put Kumho's on a Viper, the Michelin tire was designed for the Viper. I've heard of some neg. comments about the Michelins, but they worked great for me. I liked the additional tire O.D. as well over the 335.:(

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does not surprise me as the Michelin PS 2's replaced them long ago and are far better. Thats what people are buying now. I noticed a huge difference.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does not surprise me as the Michelin PS 2's replaced them long ago and are far better. Thats what people are buying now. I noticed a huge difference.

I think your confusing the "Pilot Sport" with the "Pilot Sport Cups". PS 2's are not comparable. The other issue of course is size, and the 345 is a taller tire which works better for my application.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your confusing the "Pilot Sport" with the "Pilot Sport Cups". PS 2's are not comparable. The other issue of course is size, and the 345 is a taller tire which works better for my application.
OK, I'll bite. Why would a taller tire work better for your application. Obviously, the PSC is made for road course use, and a taller tire will give you more distortion and worse handling. What's your use?

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer, I use the taller tire to help offset the 3:55 gear. The larger O.D. puts more rubber down (contact patch) and I'm running through the traps in 4th gear at 6000rpm/130 mph. The width (345) also provides add. rubber as well. My ultimate goal has always been a car that would run 10's in the qtr. mile and be equally capable on the road course with no changes. I guess kind of like the "One Lap of America" deal. Sure I could run a drag radial, but that's not really stockish (not really a word) and they don't handle. In my mind the Sport Cups are like the OEM tires but just stepped up. Obviously Chrysler agrees with me because they use them on the current ACR. That new size is probably why they quit making them in 18's.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, but I've tried both those options. Costco used to have them listed but they came straight from Michelin. I got the same story from Tread Depot. Unless someone stockpiled some, I think I'm out of luck.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I saw a thread that Viper X started about Hoosier R6's 345/35/18's. They are taller than the Michelins and sound like a perfect street / track tire. I was only helping the roadracers cause by purchasing tires, looks like the weekend warriors are too cheap to buy Michelins :D.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for Sport Cups try Mike at XVIPERS. I got mine there two weeks ago. I talked to him 20 minutes (literally) ago and he had 8 sets left. Hope this helps...

slate_06_021.jpg

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of tires, do the Michelins cause the rear wheel hop? My 95 did it and now the 06 does it also. If this is not the problem--- what causes it? John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960