Pilot Sport Cups VS V700 Kumhos

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used the search feature and came up with mixed reviews. I am using them mostly on the street and some mixed track time ( drag & roadracing ). So my question is witch is better for my application ? The biggest problem is the kumhos are on backorder at tire rack till the end of the month if I'm lucky. I have found the Pilots cups instock for around 1300 dollors for the set. The kumhos can be had but at the same cost as the pilot sport cups. So what should I do.
:confused:

Robert

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a set of the V710s for about $950 shipped/heat cycled. This is basically the shaved version of the 700s from the factory. They have excellent grip at the track (ie road course), along with very good durability. They are also fine for the street, as long as you don't drive in the rain. They are MUCH better than Michelin Pilots for road course racing. I have no idea how they perform at the strip...

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing Michelin has that sticks as well as Kumhos is mounted on a F1 car.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

p.s. i didn't shave or heat cycle mine. last a little longer that way. tires are spendy enough, why shorten the life of them.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shaving is also for optimum performance right out of the box, like in a racing situation. it also means less tire for you to wear down. if you are using them in driving schools or track days only i would not shave them and wear them down my self you will get much more life out of them. additionally i would do the heat cycling myself either at home or at the track, i dont see the reason to pay someone else to do this. my first set of khumo victoracers for my miata i bought heat cycled and shaved, second set(still using) did heat cycle myself and started using w/ full tread and have much more life than my shaved set. it just takes a little time/wear to get into the "sweet spot" of the optimum handling. Unless you are using the tires in a competitive situation(racing) you probably dont need a tire to be that race ready out of the box. IMHO

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin Pilot sport Cups sucked on the street for me. They had wheel hop like mad, and skipped across the pavement in turns where I was trying to get the ass to come out. They are probably GREAT on the track, but worthless on the street, and I had them when I was NA and Booooooosted. So I know in both situations they were not worth the money, and they lasted all but 6k miles.

Kuhmos which I have never owned, seems to usually get good responses from people on here, so I think thats what I am going to try next. I have tried a lot of wheel/tire combos on my viper, with 56k miles on it, I'd say I have some good working knowledge.

Jon

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin Pilot sport Cups sucked on the street for me. They had wheel hop like mad, and skipped across the pavement in turns where I was trying to get the ass to come out. They are probably GREAT on the track, but worthless on the street, and I had them when I was NA and Booooooosted. So I know in both situations they were not worth the money, and they lasted all but 6k miles.

Kuhmos which I have never owned, seems to usually get good responses from people on here, so I think thats what I am going to try next. I have tried a lot of wheel/tire combos on my viper, with 56k miles on it, I'd say I have some good working knowledge.

Jon

Strange, I have had great results. Never had wheel hop, takes corners like its on rails, great traction (857 rwhp).

They are expensive & probably would last only 6-9K ,miles.

I have 345s on the rear.

Andy

WHERE did you find them for 1300.00????????????????

Andy

OP
OP
S

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I still haven't made my mind up yet but am leaning toward the kumhos. I will give up the pilot cup vendor as soon as i buy a set of tires.

Robert

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just had my pilots replaced with v700s. i bought them from tirerack. my tuner told me not to have them shaved, because i only drive my viper on the street. but of course i had tirerack shave them anyways.

big foolish mistake.

for the track, shaved v700s will stick like a kart. but for the street, they become a little dangerous. there is basically no tread depth to channel water. i never plan to drive it in the rain, but sometimes it just happens.

from purely a street advantage, i suggest not to shave them. but if you track v700s without shaving, i heard they break apart and wear badly uneven. but i do not know from real experience.

and when they say shave, the really mean it. i was shocked how little tread remains. it might just be 2mm, but it looks a whole lot more.

OP
OP
S

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talked to Kumho USA today,There is a shortage of kumho v700's for the viper in 18" sizes. They said delivery is approximately 90 days till they come in from Korea. So i pulled the triger on the pilot sport cups. I went with 295's and 345's. I bought them thru Parts Rack for $1307.00 and also had them heat cycled for 60.00 extra for the set. What tire pressure should i start at for a baseline?

Robert

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I can see Kumho does not make a 347/30-19 for the stock rear wheels. They do make a 275/35-18 front.What is the best street tire for road rave handling that fits the stock wheels?

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Kumho USA today,There is a shortage of kumho v700's for the viper in 18" sizes. They said delivery is approximately 90 days till they come in from Korea. So i pulled the triger on the pilot sport cups. I went with 295's and 345's. I bought them thru Parts Rack for $1307.00 and also had them heat cycled for 60.00 extra for the set. What tire pressure should i start at for a baseline?

Robert

If I remember right,I have it written down at home, it was 30-32 in front & 28-30 in rear. Those 345s look BEEFY from the rear.

Andy

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumho does not make a 19"

This is the Gen I/II forum so I assume (maybe that is wrong given your car picture) that stock rims means 17" or 18". If so then many are available. Now if you are really looking at the stock Gen III then your choices are very limited right now. 345 gives you only Michelin I believe. Best to change diameters if you want traction or wait for someone to release a new tire.