Plasti-fun

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured I'd try this stuff out. My paint is in good shape and would like to keep it that way. I plan to do a lot of events and rack up some miles so I dipped it!.

More pics tomorrow hopefully.
You must be registered for see images attach

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, but see if you can peel off the side viper logos to expose them. It would look much more legitimate that way. That or paint them black to match the two tone.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, but see if you can peel off the side viper logos to expose them. It would look much more legitimate that way. That or paint them black to match the two tone.

Same thing I thought. Not sure if I can peel it there but I actually thought about going over it with a permanent marker or paint.

It should last 3 years or so but ill pull it in the winter after this season.

-Tim

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I did my track wheels with it and the first spray from the can comes out great. Any after that, spatter and spit and look like crap. I tried holding it upside down and spray air only after each use, paint thinner, acetone, anything I could think of. Basically I ended up having to use a new can for each coat.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used gallons for most of the car. This thing took almost 6 gallons! A bit excessive and if I had to do it again I would just by cans. It's been hit or mis on the cans as well. The nice thing about matte white or matte black is you can buy it from Lowes Home Improvement.

It evened out just fine. The only issue I really had was adjusting the sprayer (not my forte) and trying to get the stuff to cover. I hear the white is a very thin color and after using black I think that's very true.

Another issue was doing the black line between the white in the rear. It didn't come out perfect but oh well I'll just peel it off if I don't like it.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No idea why the picture did that. Dang iPad.

Still need to put the hood on.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill find out and let you know. This isn't a really new product in fact it's been out for sometime. Would last 3 years or so I'm told.

look fwd to your report, looks like a good way to see if i will like black wheels w/o spending a bunch to find out

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is actually an easy way to see how a person's car would look with black wheels. They (PlastiDip) have come up with some creative products and colors. I just noticed that they have a "smoke" product. The smoke variant would make it pretty easy to tint your taillights or whatever you could think of and see if you liked the look or not.

Looks pretty nice Op!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look fwd to your report, looks like a good way to see if i will like black wheels w/o spending a bunch to find out
That's exactly what I did. I sprayed them and then took the finish off a week later. I'm a horrible sprayer, but it gave me a good enough idea of how black on black looks.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long did it take you to do this? How much product involved?

Prepping took a lot longer then spraying. Took me 6+ gallons. The white is VERY thin. I also recommend buying some aerosol cans to hit the tight areas. Gallons are about $65 each after shipping.

I'm so excited about the turn out I'm ready to powder coat the wheels and wrap the car! But I love the B&W underneath. Wish I could just have two cars life would be so much easier......

Ill keep posted on the results. I did slaughter the back where the black and white meet so I will be fixing that up this week.

-Tim

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can be done in about 8hrs. Just have to remember even though it rubs and peels right off you still want to tape off areas that would get over spray. And still lay the Plasti Dip heavy over headlights so you can peel it off.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prepping took a lot longer then spraying. Took me 6+ gallons. The white is VERY thin. I also recommend buying some aerosol cans to hit the tight areas. Gallons are about $65 each after shipping.

I'm so excited about the turn out I'm ready to powder coat the wheels and wrap the car! But I love the B&W underneath. Wish I could just have two cars life would be so much easier......

Ill keep posted on the results. I did slaughter the back where the black and white meet so I will be fixing that up this week.

-Tim

Tim if your gonna do the wrap. Make sure you have the film laminated otherwise you will hate life. The white will pick up any and all dirt and it will be a ***** to keep clean. If you get oil from your fingeres, nevermind grease, your never getting that ****t off. PM me if you need details.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim if your gonna do the wrap. Make sure you have the film laminated otherwise you will hate life. The white will pick up any and all dirt and it will be a ***** to keep clean. If you get oil from your fingeres, nevermind grease, your never getting that ****t off. PM me if you need details.

Great advice! Idk what I'm doing but I'm really digging this white! Thinking about adding black stripes.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good!

I am very tempted to do this but just have some reservations about the dip getting behind the body panels and just not looking great after its removed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery