Plastic engine covers look terrible..

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes the engine look cheap, surely there's some that may agree?, as it's nice to open up the hood or clamshell to look and appreciate a good looking engine, the mechanicals, cast parts, painted, but not plastic engine covers.. and a plastic intake manifold? Plastic engine covers hide a mess of wiring, used for NVH to block sounds from the injectors, etc., but is that really necessary on a low volume performance car? This was a pic I was looking at.. thinking they should have put a bit more effort into making a good looking engine without big plastic engine covers.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-dodge-viper/med/#photo-4940502/

That was my bit of whining today.. overall, nice car.. highly doubt Ferrari or Lamborghinis will have plastic engine covers.. that's what I liked about the past Gen 1/2, then the later Gens got some small wiring covers which were borderline and ok since you could still see the cast valve covers and a good looking aluminum intake manifold, but these large plastic covers look silly and tacky on a Viper..

That was it, time to go down to the fridge and get some cheese for this whine...

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2013-SRT-Viper-engine-3.jpg

F

FrgMstr

I do appreciate the Gen1/2 intake hints

Then you must really appreciate the hell out of the body since that is all it is, a rehashed clownshoe.

As for those plastic engine covers, that is a joke. I always saw those as being used by companies that did not want you to see the engine.

Nothing evolutionary about this car. It is more like a step back in terms of looks and a baby step forward in terms of power. The only thing I saw today that really had me excited was frame rigidity and selectable suspension setups.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks worse than the ZR1 plastic hood cover.
What were they thinking.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the plastic makes it look extremely cheap! The cross bar kills the whole thing for me anyways... I'm surprised they didn't put the new logo or SRT on the center of the cross bar.

One thing I hate is "fitment" of certain parts. To me when you are designing a new piece I would make sure nothing hangs over the side. I think the oil cap just looks stupid hanging off the plastic cover...

2013-SRT-Viper-engine-cover.jpg

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peeping under the plastic covers and seeing all the coil packs I can see why they covered them up. Not saying I agree but I understand why they are there and so large. When SRT was surveying everyone many, many owners kept saying "GTS", "curves", "voluptuous", etc. basically everyone said "rehash the clown shoe".... looks like they gave what was asked.

One thing I will defend on the Gen5 is the interior is up to par with the rest of the competition, creature comforts, etc. The more extensive use of CF on the body, etc. It's real hard to improve upon the performance of the 2010 ACR, as far as refinements I think they succeeded. The nannies are not SRT's fault, let's see how they actually perform.

All the "driver's" cars have been regulated into extinction - Viper, FGT, Lotus Elise/Exige, etc.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This engine compartment looks VERY cheap.

1. I HATE the plastic covers.

2. There is nothing under those covers to hide that is any different than a Gen-4. As best I can tell, they ARE Gen-4 covers under it.

3. The intake manifold is not a cover, but is composite. Dont know how visually appealing it would be if the covers are removed. Polishing and Powdercoating is now off the table. Carbon Fiber is the only acceptable alternative to something that cannot be polished. Lower manifold can be composite- but not the top.

4. The cross brace needs to be redesigned. Can any other engineers out there explain to another engineer how a brace that effectively forms a "spring" is supposed to do a whole lot of anything besides making it more difficult to work on the engine? If it was Carbon it would at least be sightly. I am sure it helps... but it should not be a flat bar in this application.

Lets go over this again...

YES:
You must be registered for see images

NO:
2013-SRT-Viper-engine-3.jpg

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since they liberally used carbon fiber every where else why didn't they just make those covers out of carbon fiber? Well I can see someone making some money in the after market with some carbon fiber or aluminum covers to replace those hideous plastic ones.

If I had the skills and hardware necessary to fab up some carbon fiber I see a few potential products I could sell to replace some of those under hood items. The engine covers, airbox and tubes etc....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since they liberally used carbon fiber every where else why didn't they just make those covers out of carbon fiber? Well I can see someone making some money in the after market with some carbon fiber or aluminum covers to replace those hideous plastic ones.

If I had the skills and hardware necessary to fab up some carbon fiber I see a few potential products I could sell to replace some of those under hood items. The engine covers, airbox and tubes etc....

No need... I bet they are Gen-4 covers underneath, for which solutions and options already exist.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This engine compartment looks VERY cheap.

1. I HATE the plastic covers.

2. There is nothing under those covers to hide that is any different than a Gen-4. As best I can tell, they ARE Gen-4 covers under it.

3. The intake manifold is not a cover, but is composite. Dont know how visually appealing it would be if the covers are removed. Polishing and Powdercoating is now off the table. Carbon Fiber is the only acceptable alternative to something that cannot be polished. Lower manifold can be composite- but not the top.

4. The cross brace needs to be redesigned. Can any other engineers out there explain to another engineer how a brace that effectively forms a "spring" is supposed to do a whole lot of anything besides making it more difficult to work on the engine? If it was Carbon it would at least be sightly. I am sure it helps... but it should not be a flat bar in this application.

The valve covers are more than likely composite, looks like it to me. If you don't like the brace that does a "whole lot of anything besides making it more difficult to work on the engine" remove it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The valve covers are more than likely composite, looks like it to me. If you don't like the brace that does a "whole lot of anything besides making it more difficult to work on the engine" remove it.

The Valve Covers are not composite, they are aluminum. The Coil Covers are plastic, not composite.

Removing a bracing system that would result in 8 odd studs sticking out of your frame is a tad problematic.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the plastic engine cover is my least favorite change. I thought this thread was a joke at first! Everything on the car is suppose to be functional. That is one of the thing I like. No fake this or that like you see on just about every other car. Except now we get a plastic engine cover. Wonderful. I had a $15k Honda with one of those. I had a '79 Trans Am with basically a fake hood scoop. Is that next?

If you have to coverup your engineering then you probably need to go back and do some more engineering. SRT gets an F for this one.

This is like Apple adding a DOS prompt... There is no excuse.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plastic engine covers look Chinsey and cheep. YUCK!!

Agree 100%, in the same way as the ZR-1's plexiglass hood window.

Look at Nadar's Gen III motor, that's a nice look and surprised SRT didn't do a better job

But, I'm willing to bet you'll be seeing posts here in the near future, Can I retro fit the GEN 5 look on my Gen IV

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I will defend on the Gen5 is the interior is up to par with the rest of the competition, creature comforts, etc. .
You have GOT to be kidding me.. the electronics look decent but the actual interior.. fake leather stitching?? sheeesh

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
But, I'm willing to bet you'll be seeing posts here in the near future, Can I retro fit the GEN 5 look on my Gen IV

Well, they will be IN LUCK! seeing as the Gen-4 engine is at the heart of the Gen-5, there is about a 99% chance of interchangeability.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Valve Covers are not composite, they are aluminum. The Coil Covers are plastic, not composite.

Removing a bracing system that would result in 8 odd studs sticking out of your frame is a tad problematic.

Valve covers look black to me. If that is the case, I would assume composite.
X brace looks to be held in by 8 bolts. Remove bolts, remove x brace, replace bolts. Move on with life.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that the plastic covers ARE under the hood, I see the positives in weight savings and cost. OTOH, for those who want CF everywhere, that's called expensive supercar. The Viper was the original inexpensive supercar and should stay true to that.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Valve covers look black to me. If that is the case, I would assume composite.
X brace looks to be held in by 8 bolts. Remove bolts, remove x brace, replace bolts. Move on with life.

Trust me, they are the same material that is used elsewhere on the current cars. Regardless, it makes ZERO difference what it is made out of if it looks like hell.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, remove the nuts from the studs, remove the X brace, replace the nuts?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Given that the plastic covers ARE under the hood, I see the positives in weight savings and cost. OTOH, for those who want CF everywhere, that's called expensive supercar. The Viper was the original inexpensive supercar and should stay true to that.

They are COIL COVERS, not valve covers. The Valve covers are still aluminum. The aftermarket has had Carbon Fiber Coil Covers for Gen-4 Vipers for YEARS. Its nothing new. Hell, even Mopar made them for a demo car if I recall at one point.

This is exactly what is under the PLASTIC:
384564_10100276890126918_15717624_47185133_526359099_n.jpg

And this is what SHOULD have been done:

396659_10100355176126148_15717624_47512415_450890905_n.jpg

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are COIL COVERS, not valve covers. The Valve covers are still aluminum. The aftermarket has had Carbon Fiber Coil Covers for Gen-4 Vipers for YEARS. Its nothing new. Hell, even Mopar made them for a demo car if I recall at one point.

This is exactly what is under the PLASTIC:
384564_10100276890126918_15717624_47185133_526359099_n.jpg

And this is what SHOULD have been done:

396659_10100355176126148_15717624_47512415_450890905_n.jpg

I think this what where the confusion is coming in.

Pic one, of yours shows coil pacs mounted on top of a black valve cover. Correct?

Pic two shows a carbon fiber "coil cover" hiding the coil pacs, mounted on top of a black valve cover.

The new engine has a "red and black plastic engine cover" as people are calling it.

Peaking under that in the pics I see coil pacs not covered. I see them mounted to a black valve cover. Am I incorrect in stating that?

Now be it black painted/powder coated aluminum valve covers or black composite I dont know. I have no inside info, I have seen no information posted anywhere mentioning what they are, I havent seen them in person. Would it surprise me if they went to black composite valve covers? No. They have done it with most other cars. Cheaper and lighter than aluminum.

I don't see a coil cover anywhere to speak like you say in any of the Gen 5 photos. I see this rather large and I agree not good looking plastic "engine cover".

If they are the same bolt pattern, shape/style as Gen 4, great remove the ugly engine cover and bolt on some CF coil covers.

All I see is black coil pacs (circled) mounted to a black valve cover. (arrow)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely agree that I want to see a beautiful engine. The visible componentry should show off engineering design and be beautiful to boot. When you lift the blouse, (I mean hood) you want to see beauty underneath. Not just more covers covering up some ugly parts. The sculpted engine was one of the (many) things that the Viper had over the Vette. No one looks under the hood of a Vette and says "awesome!"

Well, they got the rest of the car right, and, in the end, the engine is about power, not beauty. I want both, though !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21