Please assist on tire selection at the strip (1/4 mile)...

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone tried the Kumho V700 at the strip? How much faster is it compared to stock tires?

I've been told that the ET streets and skinnies are the ultimate set up for the strip, but can it be driven on the street to the track (50 miles away), providing the conditions are dry and no sharp turns? Also, can the tranny handle the strain with ET streets? I have Unitrax HD halfshafts. I'd hate to break things at the track.

The new BFG drag radials is also an alternative, but if the Kumhos will be equivalent or pretty close in performance at the strip, it would be a better choice IMO.

Thanks in advance.

558 rwhp 677 rwtorque (Nitrous Express)

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told that the ET streets and skinnies are the ultimate set up for the strip, but can it be driven on the street to the track (50 miles away), providing the conditions are dry and no sharp turns? Also, can the tranny handle the strain with ET streets? I have Unitrax HD halfshafts. I'd hate to break things at the track.

Go with the ET streets and skinnies. 50 miles should be no problem. Albert here in H-town used to run this combo FULL time.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan is getting serious now.

ET streets and Skinies will be fine for the street use to drive around on them all the time. Not in a viper, but wear should be the same.

You will need that line lock we talked about though, a good burnout is a must with ET streets.

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony98GTS - thanks for the info. I'm just concern about breaking things with ET streets/skinnies.

RussM - I'll definitely install a line lock since I don't think I can master your burnout technique. Besides, I also want some rear breaks :)

I've read a lot of good comments about the Kumhos. I was hoping that someone had tried them on the strip.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumhos are not a drag tire and are not available in 18inch. The sidewall is very stiff, which means they will never be as good as a drag radial.

Just get some ET streets and you will be able to run low 11's without your nitrous, or mid 10's with it.

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumhos are not a drag tire and are not available in 18inch. The sidewall is very stiff, which means they will never be as good as a drag radial.

Just get some ET streets and you will be able to run low 11's without your nitrous, or mid 10's with it.

Yah, I was thinking of finding a used set of CCW 17" wheels if I decide on the Kumhos since they're only available in 17's. But it looks like I'm leaning towards slicks/skinnies.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found it extremely hard to drive to the track on my ET streets.The car wandered all over the road and near impossible to control over 85mph.I even tried varying the tire pressure.I inflated to 32psi and it didnt help.

Joe

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kumhos are great for the street or strip. They hook unbelievably. Ask The higher HP guys how they hook. Hopefully they will chime in.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I can launch at 3500 rpm on the BFG Drag radials, they hook great at 17.5 psi. It is a good compromise for light street duty and light strip duty. No wandering at the 1000 ft mark and no need to change front tires. I usually drive around for a few days after going to the track until I have time to switch back to the Michelins. I run them at 28 psi on the street, but you have to watch them in the rain. You will go faster with the ET streets.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have 17" rims definitely get the Kumhos. I like them much more than the BFG's. The BFG's give a little better traction but are terrible at anything over 130mph on highway or whatever. They also do not corner worth a crap. I can't wait until they come out with kumhos in 18" in march-april of next year.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan:

I have run Pilots, Kumho's, Nitto's (drag Radial) and the ET's. I have had them on a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 (nos car). The Kumho's are fantastic as an autocross tire, however, they are nowhere near as good as the Nitto's (3.15 x 17 mounted on front wheels and run on the rear) at the strip.

The Kumho's will drive you crazy they pick up every cinder on the road and sandblast your wheel wells, even if you put the 3m protector on, the noise is very annoying. When you hear about all the great 60 ft times, any tire will work on a sticky track, however, a sticky track is the exception.

I am guessing that the BFG's are close to or better than the Nitto's. I ran the Nitto's at highway speed, I wouldn't do that with the Et's, they only like to go straight. If you keep your speed down you can drive to the track, also with the ET's you have to run bias plys on the front. The drag radials are nice because you can run your stocks up front and get a set of cheap wheels for the drag radials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc