Please Help!

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went to start installing new T&D rocker arms and the instructions blew my mind! Can anyone tell me, do you have to pull the heads like it says or can you just unscrew the old arms and screw in the new? Thanks in advance! :bonker:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to pull heads. Just the valve covers. You _do_ need to adjust the rockers so you'll need to find where TDC (top dead center) is on each cylinder once the compression stroke has begun. really isn't that hard... takes about 10-20 min to adjust all the valves. 40 your first time if you are slow. I can do it pretty fast now (no, Jack B... I don't bet on this one... :) )

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As JD said, find TDC for each cylinder (the valves are closed). The adjusting screw (when all the way up) should be approximately one full turn (down) away from push rod. If it is not, you have to change the push rod for the correct length. With that said, you should have already installed the correct shim, look in "My Gallery" for a picture of the correct geometry. If you get to that point where every thing is correct, you bring the adjuster down the one full turn where it touches the push rod and then you tighten an additional 1 to 1-1/2 turns.

If you haven't shimmed for the right geometry and measured for the correct push rod length, back off for a day or so and get this straight in your mind, otherwise, bad things can happen.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to turn this into a complex discussion, but since Jack B posted, I feel compelled to add some more (and when Jack B speaks, you should listen):

The question with T&D's is often: how much do you "turn" the adjustment screw after you find "zero-lash". Zero lash is where the pushrod is _just_ properly seated between both the lifter and the cup on the rocker.

Some say 1 full turn and then an 1/8 turning the adjustment screw and the lock simultaneously. Some say 1/2 turn. Some even say 0!. Some also find zero lash different ways (some by playing with the pushrod until you "feel" the pressure and others by playing with the rocker until it stops moving freely).

Some say that the looser the valvetrain, the more power you make (although it is louder) and some say that since the lifters are hydrolic, it doesn't really matter if you are 1/2 turn or 1 turn in the adjustment.

The reality (as I know it): as long as you don't over-adjust (meaning that you keep the valves open too much by over-tightening the adjustment screw) then you are OK.

BTW - it took me a loooooooong time to grasp the above. I had to have 1TONY1 come over and do my valves the 1st time and the 2nd time. And another person the 3rd time! But I finally got it and can do it pretty fast now. But this isn't easy stuff to comprehend.

my .02...

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo