Please, let's ask D/C to do something about the "heat" issue with SRT!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please, let\'s ask D/C to do something about the \"heat\" issue with SRT!

Hello;

We have all been reading the "scorching" (ouch) reviews on the SRT. Every mag made strong statements about extreme heat from the side sills, shifter, footwell, etc. Iv'e done a bit of research, and found some great aftermarket news for us. Problem is, at 80 grand we shouldn't have to go aftermarket; right?

After the first Vette/Viper I read, the picture of the reviewers frying eggs and bacon on the sills, and another photo of someone holding a Jiffy pop popcorn thing over the hood vents, I got real Viper defensive.

If D/C doesn't address this, I would be very dissapointed after reading that sarcastic review. I can't wait for my SRT, but I think maybe we should post our collective concerns here. Remember when everybody was begging for "Black" for a color choice? Well, D/C was apparently listening!

If that fails, there is a "cool Viper" kit by Advanced Thermal Products" apparently sold through Dan Cragin at The Viper Shop. ATP makes heat shields for the various US armed forces, etc. This product is supposed to shield and reduce heat transfer at a minimum ration of 10/1! It is not cheap, but it is supposed to be incredible.

I only wish this "Cool Viper" kit could be ordered "as an option" when we ordered our SRT's. I would gladly pay extra for this high-tech "Inconel" shield than roast away as I drive, have my kids get burned, or have my sills discolor, hood crack, ball joints melt, or what have you.

Who knows, maybe the reviewers were full of it, and just weenies? I do know my two RT-10's were dang hot, and I would have purchased this kit in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I know... "freeflow cats, headers, etc; it goes on and on. Each of those things brings it's own set of problems (no flame intended to the tuner shops). At $80 thousand bucks, I just wish they would address the problem.

So, is it all "hot air" from the mags, or is it the truth? If it is true, wouldn't you like something to be done about it before we get our SRT's? I sure would!

Thanks, I feel better now.

Jim

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Please, let\'s ask D/C to do something about the \"heat\" issue with SRT!

I drove one that had been hammered all day long and didn't notice any problem.I was told to watch out the side sills were hot but since I did not try to cook breakfast on them or touch them like a little kid they might have been cold for all I know.It was sunny and hot out the day I drove it.The car mag guys are weenies. Bruce

Herman Buehrle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have managed to "tatoo" the backs of my legs on my previous and current Viper, and also at VOI with the '03. The problem IS being addressed, so hang in there. Oh, and those headers and low flow exhaust systems. I have that with my current '99 coupe, but regardless, with the catalytic converter in there, it's going to get hot. We'll just have to see what PVO comes up with, but I'm not expecting miracles, because there are none when you're talking the temperature generated by that converter.

Hugo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yoa knaw a little heat ain't gona kill nobady
You should feel my BOURGET's pipes
or my Vrod stay away from them

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those of us in the car at VOI, did not experience this. And these cars were being flogged! It's probable the magazines cars were tested several months ago and were unperfected versions. It's also very likely Car and Driver was using their usual "fun factor" in their reach for humor? Pretty common for them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Problem is, at 80 grand we shouldn't have to go aftermarket; right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For 80K you get 500hp that crushes all competition. Keep up the good work DC.

For 50K you can settle for 400hp run o' the mill Vette. Probably a tad cooler although I've heard the right leg gets pretty hot.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim,

Remember also that the tests were (apparently) done on a 108 degree day.

I personally think that any car is going to get toasty in that heat... they did over-dramatize it though.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is very amusing how the Mags seem to jump on the usual press bandwagon and unilaterally flog a problem. I also have a Z06, and the tranny **** gets very warm, I will not rest rest my right leg against it during warm days. I took the Z06 to the track last week and the exposed metal on the shifter got so hot I could not touch it. Simple calorimetrics, large displacement burning lotsa fuel generates lotsa heat. I never noticed an issue at VOI, I entered and exited the SRT in shorts and never noticed a heat issue.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Hello;

We have all been reading the "scorching" (ouch) reviews on the SRT. Every mag made strong statements about extreme heat from the side sills, shifter, footwell, etc. .........So, is it all "hot air" from the mags, or is it the truth? If it is true, wouldn't you like something to be done about it before we get our SRT's? I sure would! Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Wish Is PVOs Command.

This current 'normal delay' is now YOUR DOING! (Along with the car-mag-wags)

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jon B.;

Give a guy a break! I hope your were just kidding about the "it's your fault" thing. All of the mags complained about this; the nicest I have read so far was Motor Trend.

It would seem that to print those "bacon, eggs, jiffy pop" photos was pretty cruel for such widely read publications. I was just bringing it to attention here because PVO apparently listens, which is great.

IF the heat problem in the cockpit and sills was really as bad as they whined about, wouldn't it just come back to D/C in the form of a lot of warranty problems? I would think it would be to their benefit.

I know you have a strong sense of humour which I enjoy. I am truly excited about the SRT and always have been. I have not driven the SRT, and all I know is from what I see and read here on this site and (with a grain of salt) from the mags.

If the mags reviewed a mule (was it or wasn't it?) that is a bummer that they did not state that clearly. I am happy to read that no one who drove the SRT said there was any problem.

So, please do not blame me for delaying the SRT. I just brought up a point about what to consider if it was not addressed.

Jim

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have not driven the srt but i was in one shortly after it was driven when the top was down and i did not notice any more heat in the sills than my '96gts, of course with the top down i could not attest to the amount of heat that was generated in the cabin.
perhaps the crossover exhaust system with the left bank exiting the passenger side and the right bank exiting the driver side will have to be eliminated or in some way modified in order to cut the heat in the cabin down.
it may have to be an aftermarket system if the pvo guys can't figure it out in time for the launch. a pvo engineer said that the heat generated by the exhaust is exascerbated by being sandwiched between the floor pan and the aerodynamics enhancing belly pan. in june they knew about it and were working on trying to reduce the heat but no details were given as to how.

eagles

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I installed Sean Roe high flow cats, and my sill temps dropped dramatically. D/C might even be able to pull a bit more power out of the car at the same time, so that even the magazine guys can hit high 11s.

-Dean.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TacDoc:
It is very amusing how the Mags seem to jump on the usual press bandwagon and unilaterally flog a problem. I also have a Z06, and the tranny **** gets very warm, I will not rest rest my right leg against it during warm days. I took the Z06 to the track last week and the exposed metal on the shifter got so hot I could not touch it. Simple calorimetrics, large displacement burning lotsa fuel generates lotsa heat. I never noticed an issue at VOI, I entered and exited the SRT in shorts and never noticed a heat issue.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
I have heard others say this about the Z06 and check mine often and never even felt the center console get even close to hot even on 100 degree plus days. I wonder if chevy forgot to put insulation on some? You know how GM's quality control is hit or miss. I must have got lucky because my Z is cool and has decent fit and finish. The orange peel is even minimal.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My solution to the heat problem is to leave the top down and go naked from the waist down.

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I couldn't have said it better myself.

My first few C5's did get warm, but the two '02 Z06's I own have had NO problem... They aren't stock and I do drive the PISS out of them.........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have heard others say this about the Z06 and check mine often and never even felt the center console get even close to hot even on 100 degree plus days. I wonder if chevy forgot to put insulation on some? You know how GM's quality control is hit or miss. I<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FWIW, my Z06 also gets pretty warm along the inside of the gearbox tunnel, but not as hot as my Viper.

Jim

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah right,
ALL the magazines are wrong about the heat issue.
One magazine(Automobile)said they smelled all kinds
of plastics burning also.Must have been pretty hot.
All of this for a car costing 80K-I don't think so!
The Z06 while only 50K and a tad bit slower makes
the SRT look very bad in terms of quality.
Dodge needs to get it's shi! together before
releasing a 80K car!
Just my 2 cents.
95yellovett(Z07)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These were test/prototype/press cars that the magazines reviewed. Plus ALL of the magazine articles tested the SAME group of test cars on the same week with 108 degree outside temps.

I'm sure that D/C will resolve this issue before the real SRT-10 production Vipers hit the streets.

-Dean.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong here, I would like to see this fixed. But lets keep our perspective. The old cars have hot sidesills. I have burned my leg on em. They have a sticker that says "hot pipes below". When I first got my car, it smelt like burning plastic.

I want it fixed, but I'll tell ya it aint that big a deal.

And vette guy, you need more perpsective than anyone, coming to a viper board saying the car *****, and the vette is only tad slower? What kinda "tad" is a half a second in every category?

Id rather have hot sills, and a faster car than cold sills and some boat that everyone drives...

Very bad in terms of quality, dude, again get perspective, I have driven both cars, it's obvious which has higher quality (and yes, I'd give the vette had better fit/finish than the old cars) not this new one.

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nsane1,
You obviously CAN'T read!Nowhere in my post
does it say the SRT *****.The point I was making
is that if you are going to produce a 80 THOUSAND
DOLLAR car you might want to work out the bugs
before selling it!And Dodge may be do so as we speak.
And as far as your comment on the Z06 being alot
slower.In a race between AVERAGE drivers the better
driver would win the race between a SRT and a 405hp Z06.
Now in the hands of professionals the SRT would and does
have the advantage.And the corvette,not the SRT has
superior build quality.
95yellovett(Z07)

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone know how much this heat kit and the additional components cost? It bugs me when they don't post a price... Makes me feel like they will make a number up when you call based on how much they can soak me for...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Stay tuned! I have OFFICIAL information about this issue.... or should I say NON-issue!

I will have all the info compiled shortly.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great! I knew Dodge would fix the SRT's only problem. This car is going to be WONDERFUL!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

OFFICIAL PVO Q&A:

Q: I have a 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 on order. I'm concerned about reports of excessive heat in the cabin and heat at the door sills..Have you addressed these issues for production vehicles, and if so, how?

A: The complaints that have been aired regarding heat in the cabin and at the door sills were all from pre-production prototypes. We were clear with the media who drove the cars that these issues would be resolved by the start of production. Not all media reported this, while others dismissed the claim. The car you drove at VOI was a pre-production unit with partial thermal insulation upgrade. PVO engineers have fully addressed the problem for production. We essentially closed off/insulated the areas where heat was entering the cabin. Keep in mind that any time there's a 500 horsepower V-10 in front of you and a side-exhaust system encircling you, you will experience some heat. But it will be much less noticeable than on the previous-generation Viper and the pre-production Viper SRT-10s you've been hearing about. Don't believe everything you read. The egg photo was a staged gag.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

this is very cool! All pun intended...

Now when I win the raffle car, I won't have to worry about the heat...

Tomer

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will be the first to admit that at VOI the side sills seemed MUCH hotter than what I had on my stock (rear axle forward) GTS exhaust. While I will get a quick "ouch" on those rare occasions I wear shorts in the car and bump the sills, the SRT absolutely fried me in about a nanosecond. Definitely hotter, and glad to hear it is being addressed. Although personally, I would like to have seen a EPA-certified hi flow cat as part of the solution. The performance numbers reported so far are a tad shy of what many had hoped, and I suspect that a hi-flow cat could have both cooled the sills a bit and bumped the horsepower a couple ponies. Most current Vipers seem to dyno higher than the rated horsepower and I have high hopes the SRT will do the same...

Chris