Please tell me how to turn when driving on the street.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, try left-braking. Gives you a way to control steering and weight transfer.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM- next time your over here, I'll bring you to the SLICKEST spot I know of. If there is no traffic around, take the turn quick and see if you slide the same way. (its a 5-lane, so it can be done safely) Easy way to tell.

(and after that, I'll show you how FUN slick spots CAN be...heh)

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperfreak2,
i try not to drive like granny... getting sideways twice proves that.
but dont want to be know as the town **** either... driving like i am in a street race movie :)

Viperzilla,
Always happy to help, especially UB students, the guys/girls on the UBRF (ub race forum)
are very cool and i meet alot of them at a autoX.
So sure, and finalGTS is always happy to help a young co-ed out with a ride :)

Thanks guys, I figure it was the weight issue and coasting through then hitting the gas
that got me sideways.. not weather, road, or anyother issue.
Now i just need more seat time to practice my turns.
best wishes
Jim

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NCVCA,
tires have 7000 miles on them, no real burnouts on them.
and 1 autoX.
how many miles should i get out of a set of rears?
they look pretty good. :confused:

NapaRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, watch out for pavement markings, lane stripes etc.
In a lot of cases what looks like plain old paint is really
a material called thermoplastic. Add just a little moisture
and this stuff is slicker than snot.

Ken

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperzilla,
Always happy to help, especially UB students, the guys/girls on the UBRF (ub race forum)
are very cool and i meet alot of them at a autoX.
So sure, and finalGTS is always happy to help a young co-ed out with a ride :)

best wishes
Jim
my friend and family members (one in particular) aren't UB students. One goes to a college in Rochester, and my cousin goes to Julliard in NYC. And being that they're family, and a friend, that I don't want them being "just another co-ed" (no offense meant, Final). :)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
how many miles should i get out of a set of rears?

That's subject to debate. Chuck would be 2/3s of the way to a new set at 7k, Joe117 is probably on his orginals at 106k...

Seriously though I think the average life is around 25-30k if you're light on the gas and within the time constraint of old rubber....

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been sideways under brakes and power.Rear end step out is faster and more severe when trail braking than with power oversteer which is easier to manage.Opposite steer and get out of the brake and throttle always works for me.I don't think about it.Just react quickly,automaticly.There is a skid control school in Ontario that will improve your car control.Yep use their cars.No abs,bald tires,wet and slickened surface.Switches to lock the brakes on you one wheel at a time..Once you get the hang of it you will not spin even while changing lanes and braking while going sideways.Used to have a Bricklin.Spun many times in it.However it had a lousy rear susp(solid axle) that would wind up,hop,bounces and skitter on any bump in a corner.No hope for saving that one.Once it started it was on its way and gone. Bruce

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperzilla,
all joking aside, if any friend or family member is near buffalo and would like a ride.
no problem at all... just let me know...
best wishes
Jim

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, there has got to be track clubs in N.Y. It doesn't have to be a 'school' just a club or a track that has open track days. Get out there and have some fun learning to push your Viper in a safe and legal environment.

Or get different color Viper.

Chuck is wise. The red ones are quite a bit slower, and consequently are easier to handle. Just don't add a wing, it tends to attract tire walls.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperzilla,
all joking aside, if any friend or family member is near buffalo and would like a ride.
no problem at all... just let me know...
best wishes
Jim

I'll extend the same offer to the Rochester relations. Are they at UofR, RIT, Fisher, Naz?

Lou

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim- I do not know how you feel about this, because it changes the look of the car. But a rear spoiler does add significant downforce to your rear end... keeping it under control, and easier to handle.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll extend the same offer to the Rochester relations. Are they at UofR, RIT, Fisher, Naz?

Lou
Thanks Lou, my friend only attends a college at Rochester. I can't remember the name, but she's there for the music. She resides in Buffalo.

The rear spoiler will only produce downforce above ~50 MPH (from what I've heard). Doesn't sound like he's taking these turns at that speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, Jim.

<font color="red">Jim, you have PM</font>

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the stock tires still in place the snake has always been a sidewinder. As i dump it I have gotten used to cutting left almost by instinct. I would like to see a spoiler in place before I would install one. I think it's high time I invested in a set of tires. anybody know were I could pick up some low profile mudders... :cool:

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, if you want some pics of spoilers, you can post a new thread asking owners to put pics on there. Or you can look for the manufacturers, like Autoform and Snake-Oyl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang