Plumbing your catch-can back to the oil pan?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the catch-can on my car for a while now and I installed a tube running to the bottom of the car with a drain valve on it to make it easy to empty.
I was reading on some track forums where people have tapped their oil pan and just run a line directly from the bottom of their catch can back to the oil pan. It seems like a great idea since the pressure would still out of the filter on the can, but instead of the can filling up and having to be emptied, it just goes right back into the oil pan. Has anyone done this on their Viper? I've never noticed any kind of "junk" in the catch-can oil, so it seems that if there is anything in there, it would get caught in the oil filter, just like anything else.

I'm not in any rush to do it, and I'm not going to bother to drop the pan and tap it unless I have another reason to have it off anyway. Thoughts?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want that stuff going back into your system. Have you ever looked at it when you drain it?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the others - that stuff isn't just oil, it's got a lot of other stuff you don't want mixing back in with the oil in your pan.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What comes out looks like a combination of the head on a Guinness beer and the frothy whooshes the morning after 12 Guinnesses..... It nasty.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I've always drained mine after it sat for a minute or two. It's never had a lot of froth or anything in it, but it doesn't sound like it's worth it anyway. I only get it when I've overfilled the oil a little and driving ******* track days. Now that I've added the drain tube with a valve, it will be easy to empty anyway. It was just a PITA to have to remove the lines and the can itself to drain it like I was having to before.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tow, as others said you don't want it back in the pan. While at first glance of the picture it looks like fresh 15-50 Mobil 1, it's normally a mixture of 2/3rd's water vapor and 1/3 oil. If you don't want to remove lines, get this tool. No mess, no need to crawl under your viper.

catch_can.jpg