Police car rear ended my new E63 Mercedes!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night a CA State Parks ranger rear ended my brand new Mercedes E63. I was stopped at a red light with @ 10 cars ahead of me when he ran right into me at 25-30 mph. I was hit so hard I was pushed @ 15 feet into a 3/4 Chevy truck, damaging it. The officer stated he was looking away at another cop across the street doing a traffic stop. I am betting there is $20K plus damage to my car as the rear bumper is now in the trunk area, the frame rails are bent, quarter panels bent, truck lid gone, front end and grill toast, fenders deflect, etc. Not pretty. Question I have is has any one dealt with this type of situation before? This car is two months old and cost over a $100K. I will not accept anything but a new car from the lovely state of CA. Has anyone ever had to deal with something like this? I have already contacted my attorney who thinks I will have to sue the state to get a decent settlement. My State Farm agent seems to agree. I guess it could have been worse, it could have been my Viper.:(

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, that really *****! Did he write himself a big, fat ticket for careless driving like he would have if it had been a civilian that hit you???

Seriously, I would try to get a sitdown with his Captain before I went legal. A lawsuit against the police will drag on for years.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always wondered what would happen if an officer caused an accident. Well now I know. You just purchased the car, I would not settle for anything less than a new one ... but if that is not an option, DEPRECIATED VALUE CHECK + A little more would work.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When collecting for the damages, my guess is a cop causing an accident would be handled no differently than any other state employee causing an accident. It'll all end up in their legal department/claims Department. You'll have to file a claim with the state. An individual Department (ie: Parks Department) probably wouldn't pay for it out of their own budget.

~Craig

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that really *****! Did he write himself a big, fat ticket for careless driving like he would have if it had been a civilian that hit you???

Seriously, I would try to get a sitdown with his Captain before I went legal. A lawsuit against the police will drag on for years.

Good point, you should make sure he was ticketed, because just as it is important when a regular person hits you and that shows liability, it is important here too. And before sure to go to court and see that he doesn't get off lighter for it than the average citizen as well.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, state of Kentucky, took over 10 months to pay $4,500 for damages a state trooper did...he hit a cady belonging to a wonderful old couple.

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newest update is the state is not calling back to even start the claims process for get me a rental car. I had to go rent one myself today. State Farm and Body shop just told me it may take 3 plus months to repair as its a new for 07 body style and an AMG...parts like the specific front AMG bumper are not available for 60 plus days and need to come from Germany. I called Mercedes dealer and they confirmed this. Merry F***'n Christmas I guess.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here your insurance agent would take care of the whole thing. They would sue the State and act on your behalf, protect and take care of their client.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How true. Quick to point a finger at us, but if it is one of "them" forgetaboutit. :evilmad:

Everytime I ****** something, I'll get a ticket. :nana:
What was it, "equal justice for...." Right. :buttkick:

The point that they will not even talk to you says it all. Get a lawyer and get even. I would not settle for anything less than a new E63.

I wish you all the luck. :2tu:
Let us know what the outcome was!

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my State Farm adjuster went out. Estimate is now climbing...over $20k for repairs and going up...they are finishing a teardown on it tomorrow. Since it's a 07 and an E63 AMG- part prices are not all available. Mercedes is quoting up to 60 days for some of the parts! That means we are looking at 3 months or more to get the car back. Plus my back hurts on top of that. The seat belt left some nice bruisess as well. Got it documentmented by my doctor. You know, if your going to get hit...do it in a Benz...I might have really gotten seriously hurt instead of just bruised/banged up if I had been in the Viper. As tough as these cars are, I think it could have been ugly in a compact or sports car like a Viper or Corvette. I'll let everyone know how this ends up. At least I have a great reason to drive the Viper when its not storming!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my State Farm adjuster went out. Estimate is now climbing...over $20k for repairs and going up...they are finishing a teardown on it tomorrow. Since it's a 07 and an E63 AMG- part prices are not all available. Mercedes is quoting up to 60 days for some of the parts! That means we are looking at 3 months or more to get the car back. Plus my back hurts on top of that. The seat belt left some nice bruisess as well. Got it documentmented by my doctor. You know, if your going to get hit...do it in a Benz...I might have really gotten seriously hurt instead of just bruised/banged up if I had been in the Viper. As tough as these cars are, I think it could have been ugly in a compact or sports car like a Viper or Corvette. I'll let everyone know how this ends up. At least I have a great reason to drive the Viper when its not storming!

I dunno about your assessment on the Viper's safety. You forget the steel frame is probably more solid than the benz. The z06 might have problems with it's aluminum frame, but I don't see the benz being any safer than a Viper. I've seen Vipers take air and roll a dozen times at over 150mph and the driver escapes with just a couple broken bones.

Anyways, hope you're doing better and get the bastard. You should look into filing a citizen's arrest on the cop for felony reckless driving if he won't give himself a ticket. Probably won't get anywhere, but it'll make you feel better. Believe me... they get away with more traffic violations in one day than the whole VCA put together in 10 years.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The benz just "feels" safer because of its size. I think the
AMG versions might be 7-8000 pounds lighter for perforamce
reasons, but they're still tanks. Being an 07 with modern
saftey devises probably didn't hurt either.

I'm glad your okay and I hope this goes well. Here in DE a few
years back a trooper broad-sided a suburban in an intercetion
so hard it flipped the truck over four times and killed the
mother and three children inside. After "review" it was
determined that the suburban was at fault becuase she failed
to yeild the cop right of way (even though the cop didn't have
her lights on but was still responding to a call.) Make sure
you have a good lawyer in hand becuase cops have some of the
best spin-doctors on the market. Wouldn't surprise me if you
suddenly get charged for reckless parking or something.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is not going to turn out well for you.

Regardless of your personal beliefs, get a lawyer. Now.

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were to take the next step to secure the responsibility and the issue of settlement, would go to see a couple of doctors for setting up therapy and any other findings they can list. Did the truck drivers sustain any injuries? Who does that driver sue, your insurance company since you hit him? The doctors statement rules very heavy on a fast settlement. It sure can't hurt to go to a doctor to discuss the dizzyness and loss of sleep. Neck pain.yada yada yada :nono:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD GRIEF.....what does a stock one weigh?

The benz just "feels" safer because of its size. I think the
AMG versions might be 7-8000 pounds lighter for perforamce
reasons

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E550 weighs 3885 lbs and costs 60K base.
E63 weighs 4035 lbs and costs 85K base.

So the AMG version is actually heavier. :D I reaffirm my vow (not holocaust related) never to buy a Benz.

CCBrian, good luck with your case.

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the real kicker is that after 3 weeks...the body shop cannot get parts ordered as Mercedes does not list them for sale yet! And to top it off, the car has sustained frame damage but they do not have the pull points from Mercedes since it's a new chassis for 07, and they have not been released. So we do not know the total cost to repair- but it's at least $25k at this point. I got an attorney today. :( Brian

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,
You are entitled to a rental car of equivalent value. 90 x $125. = $11,250.
Not sure about the $125. Maybe more?
Get tough with State Farm, they should represent you. They should also cover the cost of your rental.