Polishing Stock Rims

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am contemplating taking a set of Stock 3 Spoke Rims (Gen I) and having them polished. Does anyone happen to have any pics of what a Gen I rim looks like polished? Maybe even on a Black RT10?

Anyone have any suggestions on who I should take them to for polishing? Local within Texas would be best, as to save shippping back and forth (I could deliver them and pick-up them up).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
25Viper2-med.jpg

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's mine :

244Summer20030014_klein.JPG

And more :

244Summer20030001_klein.JPG

I like it a lot.
Came with the car, had it for 3 years and no quality issues.
Couldn't tell you who did it, but he sure was a pro.

OP
OP
T

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GaryC, Yves:

Thank you both so much!!!! I appreciate that you two answered my call. I get to see one heck of an impressive (not to mention powerful) RT10 with Polished rims, and one beautiful RT10 with Chromed rims. And both are Black!!
Thank you, Thank you!!! :2tu: :2tu:

Now I am will have a tough time deciding whether to "polish" or "chrome" my rims. ??? :confused:

Anyone know the pros & cons for each? (i.e., cost; pitting of finish due to brake dust, etc.; maintenance; durability; etc.)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know the pros & cons for each? (i.e., cost; pitting of finish due to brake dust, etc.; maintenance; durability; etc

unless you laquar them (which is hard to do) they will go dull overnight if left wet, I left mine unlaquared and used to dry them off after washing the car
or getting caught in the rain. Brake dust doesn't effect the finish and cleans off easier than the OE painted finish

18viper.jpg

OP
OP
T

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Neil.

This is a very nice looking red RT. These polished rims look really good!! :2tu: Almost shiny enough to be chromed.

So, the question remains...

To Polish, or, To Chrome? :confused:

(Any other comments from people in the know???)

OP
OP
T

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanx for the personal "opinions" guys. :2tu:

Gerald - Why chrome, instead of polish? :confused:

=============

To elaborate on my initial post, ....
What I am after, is a reply with some "pros & cons"?

So far, what I have found, is the Chrome is roughly 2x the cost of polishing?
(i.e., $200 vs $100 per Rim. *** CalChrome has not yet replied to me. ???)

I have seen some nice pics of shiny, high polished rims that look as good as some chrome ones. :2tu:

Also polished ones are easier to repair or "re-polish" in case of pilot error or otherwise.

I have also seen some chrome rims that are beautiful, as well as some that pit easily due to a poor chrome job. Even CalChrome warrantees only for one year. (Why so short a warranty period??) :confused:

With good cleaning habits, I want my rims looking good after 5,6,7,8+ years!!

That is the reason for this thread. Any one with substantiated opinions on this subject?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I saw a polished set of three spokes on ebay just an hour ago.
And there is a set of five spokes for a reasonable price.
They look better than three spoke anyway.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanx for the personal "opinions" guys. :2tu:

Gerald - Why chrome, instead of polish? :confused:

My personal experience is that polished metal will require more upkeep to maintain the polished appearance whereas chrome, when done properly, is dazzling. And if you do a search here for California Chrome, it is second to none. Look at the cars that are on this site that are knockouts, more times than not they have chromed wheels, not polished. And if you had the chance to see a California Chrome wheel vs a polished wheel, my opinion is that there would be a big difference with chrome looking better. But like you said, it's more expensive. You make the call. JMHO.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Calchrome http://www.calchrome.com/wheels_dodge.html has done rims for my Vette and for my 95 Viper. I had the Viper rims done a year and a half ago when the car had 17k on it. It has 53K on it now and they still look like new. A lot of those miles have been open track events The Virginia City Hillclimb (twice) and The Silver State Challange. The only disadvantage to chrome is that it adds a little more weight and if they do chip they look bad. I have other rims with slicks on them that I use for open track events now. Plating is not that much more expensive then polishing. I paid around $100.00 a wheel when I had mine done and I have no complaints at all. If you don't use Calchrome make sure that whoever does the plating has done these type of rims before. It is a whole different process then steel.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you polish and then have them CLEAR COATed, like the late model 5 spoke (99(I think), 2000+) wheels, you can care for them just like paint. I have 2002's on my car and I use swirl remover, polish, wax, and use a buffer on them. If the clear coat eventually wears off, polish and re-clear coat. Chrome is probably the longest lasting, high gloss, assuming a good chrome job, and stay away from the curbs.
Later,

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are chromed. Hardly any maintenance on them, nor any fading. They still look good after all those years.

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Polished alluminum looks awesome.
What I'd really like to do is get another set of possibly 19" rims in addition to the stock wheels.I wish stock rims were just an inch or two bigger than they came with!

OP
OP
T

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Polished alluminum looks awesome.
What I'd really like to do is get another set of possibly 19" rims in addition to the stock wheels.I wish stock rims were just an inch or two bigger than they came with!

Dr. Viper - Since you too have a Black RT10, do you have a pic that you can post showing your polished OEM rims?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire