POP vs Instant On

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am shopping for a radar detector for my GTS and I notice that some radar detectors in the same line have instant on detection but not POP and the better detectors just have POP...

What's the difference between instant on and POP if any ?

What's a good reasonably priced Radar/Laser detector that has a goood mount for a GTS ?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
POP, according to the radar gun manuals, is only to be used to estimate a car's speed and should not be used to issue citations. I found this out after a State Trooper in MD wrote me a ticket using POP. My V1 never made a sound so I researched what the heck had happened. If POP shows you're speeding then they are supposed to hit you with the regular radar pulse. POP is too fast for most detectors to detect and is therefor also not as accurate. After the ticket in MD I upgraded my V1 to POP. Of course everyone seems to be using Laser now.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it does now, but prior models (and I'm not certain when POP was made part of the programing) did not. I had my 8 year old V1 "upgraded" some time ago.

I still think ALL radar detectors are useless without some traffic ahead of you to "rabbit" you some advance notice .... POP sensitivity or not.

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the V1 is the best detector out there and comes with POP....IMO nowadays a radar detector gives a false sense of security as it does not guard the instant on laser gun which most troppers are using....

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a v1 and think the laser gunners are useless except at night. They stand out in the open and point and you can see them a mile away. Its never a problem if there is some traffic up ahead radar or laser. If you're the only one out on the road at night better slow down. GTS Bruce

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"******" for the Radar.

"Laser Interceptor" for the laser.

Why just detect it when you can deflect it....:dunno:

Laser Interceptor;
"
Manufacturer Description: Laser Interceptor is an active jammer, which means it sends out beams blocking police lasers, as opposed to radar detectors that will only warn you your speed has been measured. Laser Interceptor is an LIDAR triggered Jammer that transmits a Jamming Beam only upon detection of a LIDAR signal and does so for the duration of that signal and then immediately disengage when that signal is no longer detected. Laser Interceptor will then immediately reengage again upon the detection of another further LIDAR Signal(s). Laser Interceptor consists of two units. Each unit consists of a receiver and a transmitter. Both are installed on the front of the vehicle. Additional sensors can be purchased to protect the rear of the vehicle as well. Every time the device is turned on, it performs a self test after which welcome sound is played. The transceiver unit has two built-in sensors that are sensitive to laser beams. When the sensor receives a laser beam, it forwards the impulse to a microprocessor, which then analyzes it and sends corresponding impulses to transmitter LASER. minimize

Laser Interceptor USA - Laser Jammer - Exclusive Factory Authorized Distributor to The USA and Canada - Home

Check out "Product Videos"

"85 OF 200" can elaborate...

The LI system has "saved" me a million times......:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the most common here in the Pacific Northwest being an ****** SRX with "Laser scramblers". It is a custom install and mounts the front sensors in the grille beside the laser/radar target which is the license plate. Accurate readings on the sloped wndshield are difficult so the training is to shoot the headlights and/or license plates. The SRX also has laser and radar sensor around the rear license plate.

The new 9500ci is cost prohibitive at nearly $2000 for wholesale and takes longer to install becuase of the GPS ant. I'm not sure of the webloading of the speedcamera locations with the control unit hardmounted in the car, but I just kept the SRX (8500) in my car and bought the cheaper 9500i (GPS) unti that mounts like a V1 in case I ever go to California of somewhere they use mounted radar cameras (they're illegal in BC).

I do like the SRX as it has extreme sensitivity and I often get detection when the cop shoots a car as much as a mile and a half in front of me. The 36" laser beam can also bounce under cars and trucks in front of me and I can detect it because my sensor is only 8" off the ground inside the front grille.

I do really like the program and radar location upload that you get for FREE with the ******.

In REALITY, you need to buy the best radar detector for your area. If your state has the speed cameras then your only option is the GPS (****** 9500 series) as the speed cmaeras are beign triggered by cables, not a or laser. This mechanical switching means that the radar signal you receive is the signal that records your speed. With the GPS Escrot unit the locations of speed cameras are programmed into your radar detection unit and the GPS allows the programing to signal you about a mile before the speed camera gets you. It was reported that California uses 20 of these type of speed cameras along the interstate at all times. It takes a while for new locations to be programmed onto the internet for uploading, but ... there is no other option? Like the one post says, "Radar detectors are useless" and against deadman switches, speed cameras etc. you always take a risk.

Although Laser 'scamblers' are legal in BC, they are not legal in most places and Ontario has some extremely "take your car away" laws that never should have been allowed to become law. I guess the Liberals (?) in Ontario keept the **** ideals?

As I said, your area is probably different. Find out what your laws are. If the law says that you lose your car or get a fine of $1,000 for having a radar detector, you probably don't want one.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Euchar, is that from ******? Looks like my SRX sensors and there is one laser scrambler mounted on each side with another mounted in the rear license plate frame.

My control unit is hidden, I placed the 'mute' button on my dash and my LED on my steering column.

Ted

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even IF a laser scrambler DID WORK IF you got caught using one in NJ the penality (impeding justice ),cost for an attorney,aggreviation ect would probably be worse than the ticket.If a Trouper were to point a lazor at a car he thinks (thru his observations) is speeding up here and it were to go blank TRUST ME that car is getting stopped and possibly searched .As far as just cause for the stop instead of possibly speeding they would use the ols careless driving or improper lane change ect .

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The purpose of a laser jammer/scrambler is to jam the signal long enough for you to slow down and TURN IT OFF...if you have a good detector you should have enough time to slow the car and turn the jammer off so the gun gets a signal with you traveling at a much lower speed....

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The purpose of a laser jammer/scrambler is to jam the signal long enough for you to slow down and TURN IT OFF...if you have a good detector you should have enough time to slow the car and turn the jammer off so the gun gets a signal with you traveling at a much lower speed....
Once again ALL the above is great provided you dont get caught .In NJ our state police are trained to visually know when a car is speeding (i know because my cousin has been a Trooper since 1985 )so if they observe a car they think is speeding ,hit it with a laser gun and the signal is jammed (depending on the mood of that Trooper ) that driver is going to get hassled big time.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS they almost always use instant on so REFERRENCED BY THE VISUAL SPEEDING ID

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again ALL the above is great provided you dont get caught .In NJ our state police are trained to visually know when a car is speeding (i know because my cousin has been a Trooper since 1985 )so if they observe a car they think is speeding ,hit it with a laser gun and the signal is jammed (depending on the mood of that Trooper ) that driver is going to get hassled big time.

WWHHHAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!.........

C'mon man.... :lmao:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was unaware that laser jammers are illegal anywhere in the US. Radar jammers are because, as I understand it, radar is regulated by the FCC and since you don't have a license to transmit on the radar frequencies used by law enforcement you're in trouble. Laser on the other hand, again as I understand it, is regulated by a different agency, I think the FDA. Not sure why this is but I believe there is no law against you transmitting a laser signal. Maybe some lawyers could chime in here.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS they almost always use instant on so REFERRENCED BY THE VISUAL SPEEDING ID

They almost always use X band in NJ and have it on all the time. The rest of the country uses K, Ka, etc. The majority of police forces in NJ use X band. They have not upgraded and will not upgrade for some time. There is and has been no money.

They still pick up the same number of speeders, however. NJ is a fast state.

Visual speeding ID is used as a backup. Not nearly as reliable.

I would place a priority on X band sensitivity if I were you.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WWHHHAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!.........

C'mon man.... :lmao:
You think iam joking our State Troopers are visually trained to id speeders then hit them with the instant on .I believe Patent Law (also an attorney from NJ )will attest to this fact .Its an entirely different world up here due to our population concentration .For our cops and Troopers to catch speeders its like shooting fish in a barrel because there are so many people driving above the limit .A young gung ** Trooper can write 15 tickets in an afternoon without trying on the GSP esp if its summer Bennys HEADING TO THE BEACH.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think iam joking our State Troopers are visually trained to id speeders then hit them with the instant on .I believe Patent Law (also an attorney from NJ )will attest to this fact .Its an entirely different world up here due to our population concentration .For our cops and Troopers to catch speeders its like shooting fish in a barrel because there are so many people driving above the limit .A young gung ** Trooper can write 15 tickets in an afternoon without trying on the GSP esp if its summer Bennys HEADING TO THE BEACH.

The above is correct. NJ has trained some individuals to identify speed using various means.

NJ has even trained individuals to look at smoke stacks coming from power plants to determine opacity levels and give large fines to corporations, without chemical tests on what is coming out the stack.

Visual observations can lead to serious consequences in New Jersey.

In addition to the above, the average speed on interstate roads in NJ is about 80 mph, much more than the posted 65 mph. The police can write tickets all day long in NJ.

We have such a budget shortfall in this state that it is expected that the ticketing of motorists will increase over time.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above is correct. NJ has trained some individuals to identify speed using various means.

NJ has even trained individuals to look at smoke stacks coming from power plants to determine opacity levels and give large fines to corporations, without chemical tests on what is coming out the stack.

Visual observations can lead to serious consequences in New Jersey.

In addition to the above, the average speed on interstate roads in NJ is about 80 mph, much more than the posted 65 mph. The police can write tickets all day long in NJ.

We have such a budget shortfall in this state that it is expected that the ticketing of motorists will increase over time.
LOL some just dont understand what its like up here due to the amount of people-traffic in such a confined area.Personally the last thing i would ever want to due is *iss a Trooper off (esp if he and i know we were both speeding) by using some type of Jamming device.Up here (at least )i think the best method to get out of a ticket is apologize ,admit you were wrong and drop a lot of Trooper names =STFA STICKERS WORK A TON BETTER THAN ANY JAMMEWR ECT.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBA stuff is big in this state.

Or get a Rutgers, Seton Hall or Widener Law School Sticker and put it in your back window. Chases them away.....:D

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBA stuff is big in this state.

Or get a Rutgers, Seton Hall or Widener Law School Sticker and put it in your back window. Chases them away.....:D
It really is esp if one is fortunate to have a Troopers badge number to drop in cordination with the STFA Shield.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a V1 ('01, no updates). I've done four cross country rallies, about 90% of the detectors are V1. The people that don't have a V1 follow those that do.

Nick

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was unaware that laser jammers are illegal anywhere in the US. Radar jammers are because, as I understand it, radar is regulated by the FCC and since you don't have a license to transmit on the radar frequencies used by law enforcement you're in trouble. Laser on the other hand, again as I understand it, is regulated by a different agency, I think the FDA. Not sure why this is but I believe there is no law against you transmitting a laser signal. Maybe some lawyers could chime in here.

Only problem with that is the cops do not have the authority to enforce FCC rules and regulations. Now if there are FCC cops standing by with the local Barney Fife, then ok..........:lmao:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done any research or install of a jammer called "Blinder"? Was shown at SEMA.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want some good reviews of jammers & detectors, post up on revmat.ch or gtspirit.com

Nick