Post header install whooshing sound

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediately after installing a full B&B exhaust system I noticed a strange new whooshing sound in the 2,250-2,500 rpm range. That seems to be the only time I hear it (maybe the exhaust drowns it out later), usually under mild acceleration or deceleration. It sounds like a something sucking air in or blowing it out, but it doesn't really sound like any exhaust leak I've ever heard, which is usually more audible at idle. Definitely coming from the engine compartment or front of the car. Any ideas?

Ronnie

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't be filter and tubes.....that's a "HISSSS", not a "WHOOOOSH"!!! Just kiddin'.....You might want to check under the hood to make sure everything is in place if you took stuff off for access...then check from the collector back for any obvious leaks, but as you say, it doesn't really sound like a leak at a flange. Usually, you can hear those kinds of leaks with the car sitting idling.....pete the XGG

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already had filters & tubes so it's not that. And I of course had the passenger side airbox off and moved the coolant overflow tank, as well as loosened the a/c compressor to reroute the l/s O2 wire, but that's about it. Very weird--it sounds like a turbo blowoff valve or something but only for a brief low rpm moment or two. Guess I'm just going to have to start checking/removing things.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious about that sound too. i was at the track and heard a viper with the whooshing noise...it sounded pretty cool

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have CDI connected to 3" straight pipe to 3" corsa.Loud at WOT,certain rpm and back off but no whoosh.Probbly a leak somewhere.No resonance.No sounds from the front of the car only behind it. Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960