Potential tranny probs

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,does anyone know how bad of a problem it is when the shifter keeps popping out of gear?My car does that from time to time only in third gear.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend of mine had a 95 RT always popping out of Reverse. He got a brand new transmission under extended warantee.

My car does it sometimes, but second is the gear that does it to me. I think my problem is that I dont always pull the shifter into proper postion, still use to 2001 gear position. They are slightly different.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that it's either a case of not entirely
shifting into third (driver error) or a worn 3rd gear
syncro. I have taken off from a stop light once or twice
when I didn't have first gear fully engaged, it moves for
a few feet and literaly seems to bang out of gear.
Does yours only disengage under hard accleration ?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is most likely caused by a bent shifter fork inside the transmission. Later models changed from an aluminum fork to a steel one to fix the problem. It gets bent from speed shifting. The fix is a new tranny from Dodge on warranty. Once it slips out of gear under load, the syncros usually get wiped out for that gear.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert1994:
I would think that it's either a case of not entirely
shifting into third (driver error) or a worn 3rd gear
syncro. I have taken off from a stop light once or twice
when I didn't have first gear fully engaged, it moves for
a few feet and literaly seems to bang out of gear.
Does yours only disengage under hard accleration ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a '98 GTS that did that and in fact it was a syncro. They replaced the transmission under warranty.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With my 94 and 5000 miles since a warranty replaced tranny, mine grinds on an easy or normal shift into 3rd. Does this sound like another bent shifting fork?

Unfortunately leading up to this I was having troubles convincing my dealer that there was air in my clutch. No more air after bleeding 7 times but now this.

Thanks

Tim

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Um, Tim you may want to change that avatar before you go back to the dealer with another warranty claim.
laugh.gif