Power Stearing Cap Popped Off !!!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was leaving home, gassed it down the driveway a bit and by the time I got to the stop sign on my road, I see smoke from my left hood vent! :omg:

I pull over, look under the hood, and my cap is wedged down the bottom of the engine compartment!:dunno:

First, why did it pop off. Second, I need to top off my fluid now.:rolleyes: What do I need to use? Regular Mopar stuff? Or is it Viper specific blend?

Thanks!

Robert

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem.. someone here will chime in with an alternative / aftermarket solution.. One time I looked at mine and it was just sitting there unthreaded.. I just cranked it really tight for the time being, but if I were to go on the track or whatever I'd definitely implement something to fix it in place.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It popped off because the entire power steering system on Vipers is a complete JOKE. And not a funny joke. Many Vipers have caught fire due to the caps coming loose and the fluid leaking onto the headers. Many others have been stranded because the p/s pulley and/or bracket (both made of material weaker than wet paper) have busted. You need to order:

Power Steering to replace your cheap p/s bracket and pulley

And...

Roe Racing Power Steering Vent Tube - 92-02 - Safety - Roe Racing to make sure your cap doesn't come loose again.

I have all 3 upgrades on my car

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know this was a common thing or I would have!:rolleyes:

Judging from the looks of it, a VERY common thing.

So what actually (as in technically) allows the cap to pop/loosen itself?

Also, what fluid needs to be used to top it off again?

Robert

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may ask everyone,
Do you check your oil?
Do you check your coolant?
Do you check your brake fluid?
Do you check your clutch fluid?
If you checked your power steering fluid as often as you SHOULD your other fluids, the results would be a TIGHT P/S cap! After checking the level in the P/S, tighten the cap as hard as you can make it by HAND and you'll find that the cap will stay on. The P/S pump used on GENI & II's came from a Jeep out of the eighty's with a plastic reservior and a plastic cap that used to live in a engine compartment with LOTS of room and a six cylinder. Now you move the same P/S pump into a engine compartment with VERY little room and a ten cylinder, with the heat differences from the two compartments is huge, the plastic parts expands a great deal allowing the cap to come loose when it cools back down and then with the motor/drivetrain vibrations, the cap may jiggle off.... NOT good!! :omg:
So spend no money and check your P/S! :hmmm:

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may ask everyone,
Do you check your oil?
Do you check your coolant?
Do you check your brake fluid?
Do you check your clutch fluid?
If you checked your power steering fluid as often as you SHOULD your other fluids, the results would be a TIGHT P/S cap! After checking the level in the P/S, tighten the cap as hard as you can make it by HAND and you'll find that the cap will stay on. The P/S pump used on GENI & II's came from a Jeep out of the eighty's with a plastic reservior and a plastic cap that used to live in a engine compartment with LOTS of room and a six cylinder. Now you move the same P/S pump into a engine compartment with VERY little room and a ten cylinder, with the heat differences from the two compartments is huge, the plastic parts expands a great deal allowing the cap to come loose when it cools back down and then with the motor/drivetrain vibrations, the cap may jiggle off.... NOT good!! :omg:
So spend no money and check your P/S! :hmmm:

Yet more common sense in the world of car maintenance!:headbang:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my car to the track and the tech spec removed the cap and it looked like he tightened it down. A kid at the track late that night wanted to see the engine. I half reluctantly showed him and saw I had no cap. I was glad I showed him. Could not find it. $35.00 for the cap from the dealer. Now I don't care about the techs feelings I check myself that it is tight and eveytime I use the car. John B said that a lot of times it gets lodged somewhere. If it ends up on the exhaust you will have a fire.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I safety wired mine on , it is easy to do.
Drill a tiny hole on the outside of the cap , near the edge , past the seal and wire it to stay tight , aircraft/racer style..........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte