Power steering failure

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out for a drive tonight when a smell not emanating from me filled the cabin. Power steering went out shortly after, and I limped home another 5 miles. Opened the hood and found that this fitting:
You must be registered for see images

Was very loose; I could turn both ways with my fingers. It appeared that this was the only place that fluid was leaking from.

Let it cool down, cleaned up the fluid I could reach, tightened down the fitting and filled up the reservoir (it was dry). Started it up and had power steering again, was it that simple? Any chance the pump was damaged in the 5 miles it ran without fluid? I had the steering rack replaced at a shop about 9 months ago; and I would guess they would have disconnected this, right? Car is an '01 ACR with 51k on it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're probably ok but if not the replacement pump comes off a Jeep I think. Not too much money.

For peace of mind I would do a few things.
1. Frequently check the cap for loseness.
2. New high pressure hose. They get brittle and spring leaks.
3. Aluminum bracket.
4. Aluminum pulley. (looks like you might already have)

5. Possibly install an overflow tube. I don't have one but they are good insurance.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the rack for leaks. If the pump vanes had appreciable wear, the particles may abrade the seals and cause a leak. Unfortunately, unless there is a screen in the pump outlet, I don't think there is any kind of filter in the system. If you get along with the shop, see if they have a method to flush the system.

>>a smell not emanating from me<< good humor!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go back and ask the shop that replaced the steering rack if they loosened that hose.

And if they say yes, ask them why they did not re-tighten it. :rolleyes:

At least that's what I would do. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery