Power steering fluid lost!!!

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2000 GTS 14k miles. Out on a cruise two weeks ago and hear alittle power steering pump whine while parking the car. Pop the hood to take a look and the reservoir is less than half full. No sign of the fluid anywhere. So I top it off and drive the car another 80 miles and put it in the garage. I go to look in the reservior and it is down a third. No sign of fluid on the ground. Where is it going?? I know nobody is crackin my hood and siphoning it out. Mabey the carbon monoxide is getting to me?;)

Well.. instant update. Before I hit the post button, I just went out to look where the car was parked last week and there is a 6" diameter puddle of what seems to be power steering fluid on the ground. I looked in the engine compartment and see nothing and nothing under the car now where it has been for 3 days.
According to where the puddle was is must be coming from the passenger side right under the front shock area. Cant find any signs of leaking. Ideas?

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update. After sitting for two more days the puddle has appeared again. I guess it is time to get it on the lift. Any ideas what could be leaking on the passenger side??

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a leak from the rack? Oil seal?

You could also check the thin small radiator under the air box which is attached to the aluminum cross brace, it might have a pin hole leak and fluid could be dropping down from there? there are also a couple of Hard lines that run across the steering rack, check the lines to make sure they have not been damaged and or any signs of corrosion? If its the rack its self I don't think that is a serviceable part. So check the other areas first!

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is the steering rack or that mini radiator I have those sitting in my garage from the salvage if you need them. The steering rack will be a pain to replace so hopefully it is not that.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rack was on the wrecked car. The main damaged was hit on the front right and it ripped the wheel off. The rack itself is fine but you will need to replace one inner and outer tie rod on it. Shoot me a pm with your email address and I will send a photo of it.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From experience get under the car and grab the steering hose nearest the serpentine belt and see if there's a pin hole where the belt has been slapping the hose. This happened to me. A new hose and a little adjusting away from the belt fixed the problem. Just a thought. I never saw anything either until I turned the steering wheel full right to the stop and held it. Fluid went squirting.

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok thats on the schedule for this weekend. Didn't think to turn the wheels to full lock to see if it leaked!