Power steering issue.

VIPERGILLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello all. sitting at a traffic light and pulling away the steering lock up and could not turn. steering broke free 4 miles later going around corner. any help??

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean you lost the power steering for 4 miles, then the boost came back??? I get a funny tingle in my wheel sometimes (feels like air in the lines), but if I lost power steering for even 1 second, I would not drive it until it was fixed!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No power steering issues here. Only steering related comment is a squeaking sound from the column area when turning the wheel. Just enough to notice but not enough to warrant a dealer visit on its own.

Agree with gtsviper - was this a POWER steering issue or steering overall. A complete loss of steering would mean a flatbed for me.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same sensation as Viperfreak mentioned in the wheel. It is noticeable when I am coming to a stop. A sort of buzzing in the wheel. I know quite a bit about cars, and It does not seem it should do this. I've never experienced it on any car I have ever drove. I was hoping this would come up. I hate to take a car to the dealer, and they can't figure it out or they may say it's normal when it's not. Anyone else notice this this buzzing in the wheel upon de acceleration?

Skip White

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a "squegee squishy" sound from around the steering column when the car is hot. If you are moving slowly, like pulling into a parking space, you can here it make that noise when turning the steering wheel. The noise is similar to a squegee being pulled over a wet piece of glass. How about anyone else?
Russ

Twosnakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the "rubbing" sound when turning the steering wheel and I have once heard a "buzzing'during decelleration. My car has 600 miles so I am waiting before I visit the Dealer.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing. Rubbing, squegee, squeaking, etc. Mine is a lower pitch so squeak probably isn't the correct term. Kind of a plastic rubbing sound.

So it sounds like this is more than a 1 car phenomena. Hmmm. Solutions?

Note I have taken the column surround off once before to wire my V1. Doesn't seem like there was an adjustment for the surround.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove the car a while ago, and made a closer observation as to when this buzzing feel comes in, well I got it down to happening when the engine falls to idle speed, it immediately starts to buzzing in the wheel. I can't figure what this is. It may be normal, but I've never heard or felt this before. As far as the other noises, haven't heard any of them, but they could be related. Its as thou the power steering system goes in to another mode when the engine falls to idle speed.

Skip White

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The steering splits it's power by sharing with the engine cooling fan drive. Are you sure that's not what you're feeling/hearing? The fan does not run at the same flow demand all the time, and I could feel it "borrowing" power at low speeds in my SRT before I sold it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with Dean...can feel/hear fan coming on...am PERSONALLY not sure that I care for this "technological advancement"...but, admit that I really like SRT-10 overall.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure yet. I'll have to pay close attention to when the fan is on and if the tingle is in the wheel. Makes sense though, thanks!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying the fan is ran by a hydralic motor, powered by the p/s pump? If so, all the more reason to get the light weight battery in the car.

Skip White

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the buzzing and squegee (or rubbing sound) are different issues. The buzzing is the power steering splitting power with the fan. I can feel those vibrations in the pedals if I really try. The squegee noise sounds like it comes from the steering surround and only happens when the car is hot.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't heard or felt the buzzing noise (but I bet I will now that I know about it and I am sure it will annoy the heck out of me) :)

But the squegee noise is already bothering me. Any solutions that anyone knows about?

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the squeegee noise, then, after some parallel parking in the extreme dallas heat, lost PS completely, banging the rim against the curb. Dead steering wheel all the way. Managed to get it parked.

An hour later, the car was fine, just overheated the PS pump I guess, this never has happened in my 97 BTW. Also, another dallas member had his entire PS system (rack and all) replaced due to a dead wheel.

Mac Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Squeegie with no vibration, almost sounds like a dual axel trailer when the tires scuff around a tight corner

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a "squegee squishy" sound from around the steering column when the car is hot. If you are moving slowly, like pulling into a parking space, you can here it make that noise when turning the steering wheel. The noise is similar to a squegee being pulled over a wet piece of glass. How about anyone else?
Russ
My symptoms exactly, noticable but I was not concerned. Curious to see if it's a problem. Early May car.
Bill

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same "squeak" noise in the steering wheel/column when turning the car, especially when it is warm. I noticed the "hum" in the steering wheel from almost Day 1. It is ABSOLUTELY the fan kicking in - which runs off of the power steering pump hydraulics. Turn on your A/C and you can feel the faint vibration. Used to bug the heck out of me. Now I could care less.

Chris

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of a power steering pump going out and then coming back a while later. How is that possible? Does the pump have a clutch on it or what? Must be something really different than whats been out there.

Skip

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang