Power Steering Problem

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here it goes:
As usual before to take the road, I checked the Oil level and make sure the PS reservoir cap is tighten. (without checking the level...)
I take the hgwy, found a few sportbikes, and a few cops, anyway, stop at a gas station after 10 miles. As I take the last turned to park, I felt the steering being hard with a weird squeal... I get out of the car, looked around, and it was smeling burned something... As many of Vipers and owners were at the meeting, I started to say hi and...
Well, as I was ready to go again, after starting the car, no power steering at all !!! and the smell of burning again...
I left my fellows from the So.Fl. going to the Mar A Lago event and called AAA for my baby and I to go home...
I searched the forum and found several issue on power steering, thou, I would like to describe my symptoms and get some feedbacks from the knowledgable crowd...
Here is the reservoir, it was clean when I left the house:
You must be registered for see images

The Pulley does not seem to be broken:

Is there a leek?

Now, the problem, the fluid level is very low:

and the color does not seem right !!!

I have noticed a very small spot on my garage floor, but I have a hard time to find out where it is coming from...

My thoughts:
Cracked reservoir
Is a pump failure possible?
what is the most possible spot for a leek?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I bought fluid to add in the circuit, but I need to know what happen before to do anything...
Thanks

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High pressure line. Change both hoses and while you're at it switch to an aluminum bracket and pulley.

If you wanna check it, with the motor running and have someone turn the wheel to full lock and hold it while you look for the leak.

ljpviper2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 96 GTS two month ago.

It was the pulley on mine also. You described what my car was doing as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte