Power Steering Vent Tube Install

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone...

i just installed the power steering vent tube for a 1993 and was wondering if this looks right to you... it said to have it parallel with the valve cover, and i am sure a lot of you have experience with this on here...

thanks in advance for the comments...

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it vent the SLIPPERY fluid mist down under your tires ?!? Hopefully there is a catch can down there?

i have noooo idea... does something else need to be installed in addition to that vent tube? or is there a specific position to set the vent to to target something that already exists down there to catch it?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i will come out and say it, yes you installed it right but from my research you just added a product that made your viper potentially more dangerous. Put your old cap back on, use a shop towel to tighten the crap out of it and be on your way. Plus change out your stock intake tube for aftermarket smooth tubes to gain 15hp and a happier engine. Its an easy DIY job

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well i will come out and say it, yes you installed it right but from my research you just added a product that made your viper potentially more dangerous. Put your old cap back on, use a shop towel to tighten the crap out of it and be on your way. Plus change out your stock intake tube for aftermarket smooth tubes to gain 15hp and a happier engine. Its an easy DIY job

His old cap is on. Has your research included real world testing?

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah the cap is stock...this is just a vent tube that installs over top of it...when i first grabbed my viper everyone said that is a must, so i figured for $25 to save my viper is worth it...seems like there is a lot of comments for and against the tube

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah the cap is stock...this is just a vent tube that installs over top of it...when i first grabbed my viper everyone said that is a must, so i figured for $25 to save my viper is worth it...seems like there is a lot of comments for and against the tube

I have yet to see evidence of the this tube spilling PS fluid onto headers, tires, etc. I've had mine on since 2006. I've never had PS fluid come through it even on track days. I suspect that those who overfill their PS reservoir will have issues. I don't overfill mine: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This amazes me what I read sometimes. Let's think about this for a second. The OEM cap has a vented ****** that is about 2" tall. There is a splash shield on the interior. Adding the power steering vent tube extends this ****** to about 4", has an arch that runs along the side of the reservoir to stop the cap from turning. It is that simple.

So I read to not use this because it adds risk to vent fluid along side the reservoir and supposedly onto waiting tires. Keep in mind that the fluid now with the tube would need to go 4" up, around the arch and along side the reservoir. The advice is to keep fresh fluid (true), tighten regularly and leave OEM cap alone. So this advice is to let the fluid instead spray out the 2" ****** all over the reservoir and along side apparently onto your tires. Give me a break.

I said this before. Change fluid regularly. Duct tape, strap, whatever the cap. Do not kink with a hose and block the vent. Use the tube if you want it to look good like the rest of your engine. It is logically impossible to ADD risk by using the tube when fluid would only have to go further up 4" versus 2" to get out. Tube or not, the fluid (if it ever made it out) would exit the same location.

The confirmed fires are only if a cap came off and landed on the headers and melted. Stop worrying about the fluid and keep the cap on.

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This amazes me what I read sometimes. Let's think about this for a second. The OEM cap has a vented ****** that is about 2" tall. There is a splash shield on the interior. Adding the power steering vent tube extends this ****** to about 4", has an arch that runs along the side of the reservoir to stop the cap from turning. It is that simple.

So I read to not use this because it adds risk to vent fluid along side the reservoir and supposedly onto waiting tires. Keep in mind that the fluid now with the tube would need to go 4" up, around the arch and along side the reservoir. The advice is to keep fresh fluid (true), tighten regularly and leave OEM cap alone. So this advice is to let the fluid instead spray out the 2" ****** all over the reservoir and along side apparently onto your tires. Give me a break.

I said this before. Change fluid regularly. Duct tape, strap, whatever the cap. Do not kink with a hose and block the vent. Use the tube if you want it to look good like the rest of your engine. It is logically impossible to ADD risk by using the tube when fluid would only have to go further up 4" versus 2" to get out. Tube or not, the fluid (if it ever made it out) would exit the same location.

The confirmed fires are only if a cap came off and landed on the headers and melted. Stop worrying about the fluid and keep the cap on.

What he said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala