Power Steering --Vibration through Steeing Wheel---Normal???

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious, why did Chrysler go to all the trouble to drive the cooling fan via hydraulic fluid instead of the usual twin electric fans switched on and off by a thermostat? The hydraulic fan assembly seems more complex and heavy and expensive than the electric alternative. I was at a car show Saturday where there were lots of old hotrods with very clean looking electric fan installations, some in front and some done behind the radiator. Some have variable speed controllers (or simply high/low/off speeds) and so fan noise was not an issue. It seems like the Viper is a good candidate for an aftermarket electric fan replacement assembly.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: Ok, a little embarrassed, but learned more about my car. Met with Pedro (Cubican) in his '03 and Kyle (FrgMstr) '05 this afternoon. First, 'thank you' to both of these guys for meeting up with me. Too cool having 3 Viper Reds together.....hopefully Kyle posts some of his pics....

Anyway, long story short ---as Kyle told me, ,"it's not a Cadillac." LOL. I sat in / drove Kyle's and did feel the same/slight vibration at idle and when driving around the parking lot. Kyle drove mine as well, no issues --- Looks like I "Dodged" some viper-tax and met 2 more Viper owners. Anyway, thanks again to everyone that helped me run the VIN, etc. This forum has been a great way for this newbie to get some help.

Lastly, I was humbled by both of your cars---you've both done some great mods ---I better get cracking as I'm bone-stock. Greg

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious, why did Chrysler go to all the trouble to drive the cooling fan via hydraulic fluid instead of the usual twin electric fans switched on and off by a thermostat? The hydraulic fan assembly seems more complex and heavy and expensive than the electric alternative. I was at a car show Saturday where there were lots of old hotrods with very clean looking electric fan installations, some in front and some done behind the radiator. Some have variable speed controllers (or simply high/low/off speeds) and so fan noise was not an issue. It seems like the Viper is a good candidate for an aftermarket electric fan replacement assembly.

A hydraulic fan module is capable of flowing FAR more airflow than a similarly sized electric counterpart. The Gen-3 cooling fan far outflows any of the electric fans that you could possibly fit into a Viper.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did feel like reading all the posts, but my 03 the fan assembly was bad on mine when the car had 4K miles. It would vibrate like a SOB when fans kicked on. Had it replaced under warranty
So if you have some vibration in the wheel I would say its not normal and the fan assembly has something wrong with it

F

FrgMstr

Nice little gathering. TexasTorred's is in "just drove it off the friggin' lot" condition. Fender liners are still gloss black! :) Great looking ride. Stick shift way too long though. ;)

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice shots Kyle. Yes, I've got long arms and can reach up in the wheel-wells, but too long and need shorter throws on the shifter:) Thank you and Pedro for coming out to put an end to the vibration issue.
Pretty cool and rare, I would think, to see 3 Viper Reds together. Very flattering to have the Lowe's staffers coming out to snag pictures too.
What are the odds of us all living within 10 miles of each other too......

Love both of your guys rides..... You obvioulsy have good taste and with all those mods---some deep pockets:) Be safe.
greg