Preset check engine light?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally I would think the check engine light will come on only when something is wrong. I my laziness, my light came on and I did nothing about it. I don't remember the mileage when it came on, but I was watching as I crossed 26,000 miles and the light went out at EXACTLY the same time. Hasn't been on since. I'm guessing it came on to direct me to take the car to the nearest stealership so they could tell me I needed plugs, wires, brake pads, wiper blades, fluid changes and other $$$$ stuff. Would DC do this?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2005 that I bought new last month; about 1600 miles thus far. The check engine light has come on a few times recently but went out shortly thereafter. I had the dealer check it the other day and the Viper Tech said there were no stored codes so not to worry...you could do the same and maybe yours was stored.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally I would think the check engine light will come on only when something is wrong. I my laziness, my light came on and I did nothing about it. I don't remember the mileage when it came on, but I was watching as I crossed 26,000 miles and the light went out at EXACTLY the same time. Hasn't been on since. I'm guessing it came on to direct me to take the car to the nearest stealership so they could tell me I needed plugs, wires, brake pads, wiper blades, fluid changes and other $$$$ stuff. Would DC do this?

At 26,000 miles Dodge strongly urges new blinker fluid, muffler bearings and a canoodler valve. Please do this to keep your car safe for you and those who happen to be on the same road as you!

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The check engine light is part of the OBD2 system and will only come on when a DTC is found. If there is a system to warn you of oil or maintaince it cannot be integrated into the check engine light, it will be a stand alone indicator.

My car seems to be very sensitive to the seal of the gas cap, I seem to get a evap code every couple of months.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some DTCs are transient. That's probably what happened in your case. If you like tool inclined, get this code reader Equus Innova 3130. Works great and compatible with future OBD protocols due in 2008.
You must be registered for see images

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9700 miles and no check engine light. I had enough of those when I had my Corvette. Made my heart sink everytime I saw that light (OH NO - Now What!).