Problem shifting from second to third

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wondering if any one had had this happen to them before ?
I was racing a buddy and i shifted from second to third and it felt like the car was in neutral revs went high and my buddy said my reverse lights came on. It felt like the shifter was between gears and the car went no where if that makes sence.HELP

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Type a search for Mis-Shift, I started a similar thread when I was having issues going from 3-4th. Used thumbdown for 3-4th and installed B&M shifter, much better!

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No the shifter was stuck inbetween 3rd and 5th and if you hit the gas it responded like the car was in neutral and the reverse lights came on . It was not a miss shift.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well maybe it was the viper communicating with your friends car. He was obviously loosing and your car just wanted to rub it in by reving real high and flashing the reverse lights:lmao:

Go put a B&M shifter in.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen - twice. During hard acceleration, the shifter/trans moves to the right and if you force the shifter to where 3rd is at idle, you can push the shifter between gears. Scared me to death. I talked to Mark J. at Woodhouse and he explained that the motor mounts have too much "flex", especially in Vipers with extra power. He said you can bend the shifter forks if you force it. Thankfully I didn't. Mark suggested I install their upgraded motor/trans mounts which I just did. I haven't had much time in the car but the shifting feels much more precise. Talk with Mark - he is a great guy. Good luck.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
04's seem to have a little weaker trans. My buddy ILLSMOQ has gone thru two transmissions while racing on freeway. Both were during a hard 2-3 shift. And at the time he didnt have a Paxton yet, so he didnt have a ton of power.

You'll probably have to be careful i fyou didnt already damage something. Maybe its time to upgrade some parts if you like to race around.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great feedback Thanx . Considering this is my second trans maybe thoes mods will save this one and if not hello warrentee .

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great feedback Thanx . Considering this is my second trans maybe thoes mods will save this one and if not hello warrentee .

Just one more thing that helped me alot with the shifting, I shift more deliberatly and do not just "throw" the shifter like crazy. Even when I'm getting on it I keep my hand firmly on the shift knob and make direct, firm, controlled inputs on the shifter. Its sounds funny but just calming down and not making rushed inputs with the shifter helped me out ALOT, even before the B&M.

If the weather is decent by you, go out on the highway today and try it out. You can just rip from like 50-100 and practice making shifts.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen - twice. During hard acceleration, the shifter/trans moves to the right and if you force the shifter to where 3rd is at idle, you can push the shifter between gears. Scared me to death. I talked to Mark J. at Woodhouse and he explained that the motor mounts have too much "flex", especially in Vipers with extra power. He said you can bend the shifter forks if you force it. Thankfully I didn't. Mark suggested I install their upgraded motor/trans mounts which I just did. I haven't had much time in the car but the shifting feels much more precise. Talk with Mark - he is a great guy. Good luck.

Thanx for the info. Pm me if you notice a big diffrence with the moun

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well maybe it was the viper communicating with your friends car. He was obviously loosing and your car just wanted to rub it in by reving real high and flashing the reverse lights:lmao:

Go put a B&M shifter in.

When i bought the car their was a short throw shifter in the car already. Not sure what kind in is I need to look into it a lil further . Thanx agin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4