PROBLEM: Viper running bad..... PLEASE HELP.... thanks!

two06vipers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys i have a 97 viper gts with 9k miles "blue w/white stripes" the car is running rough. When you first start the car it runs great. Smoothe as can be! After warming up a bit.... and driving lets say 10 minutes the check engine light came on and the car is bucking and hesitating like crazy. Now it use to hesitate and buck like say 3 weeks ago constantly but there was no check engine light on. Now the CE light is on and the car is bucking and surging... only when your moving....idles fairly well..... would you say its the 02 sensors? if so does anyone know the best price/place for them?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to autozone and get them to read what the ODBII code means... that will tell you a whole lot. but I wouldn't replace anything until yo uread the code. it could be any # of things...

JD

OP
OP
T

two06vipers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well ill see if autozone can do that for me here..... I havent had the car but a month. I dont know much about these things at all. But the check engine light coming on while its bucking and all scares me. It has been bucking and hesitating when you press on the gas almost like it has water in the gas or something for the last week. Someone told me the 02's were probably bad. Now i drove it today and it was driving just fine... then all of the sudden the bucking hits.... and when that hit the light came on but thats the first time its come on......
ill try the autozone thing...

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scan codes & have them clear any codes that come up but write down the code. From what I hear when the battery starts to go bad the car acts like you are talking about, so you can check that next.

my .02

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with looking at codes...I would be NICE to scan it with a DRB III or a Snap-Nn MT 2500(or Solus or Modis)...might try a local shop or two if the Zone can't help you.

There are many other considerations...not the least of which include battery status, throttle position sensor, etc.

Welcome to the Group...and, PLEASE let us know what you find.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your codes, takes about 1 minute. MOST of the times when your CE light comes on it's emmissions related (left bank lean,right bank lean) which are your 02 sensors.

Good Luck

G

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the 96-97's notorious for bucking & surging, especially at low speeds ??? Do some research on past threads concerning the proper adjustment of your throttle plates. ( I'm not discounting the possible O2 issue, because the problem I refered to does not trip a CE light. It just probably needs adjusted also. ) Lets us know what you find !