Problem with door poppers

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1994 RT/10. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased door poppers to have them installed. When the Dodge dealer went to install them, he said that I already had them installed. He just had to adjust them to open with the remote. There is a switch under the hood that also opens the door with the door poppers. I just opened the door with the switch under the hood and now the remote will not activate the door poppers.

Does anyone know what is going on and what I would need to reset to get the remote where it activates the door poppers now?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find out from the previous owner how they were installed. They aren't OEM, obviously. Assuming they are wired to the alarm unit?

When I put mine in, I wired them to the unlock button (I have a 3 button fob), but somehow that got fried and stopped working-can't remember the details. RuckDr is the expert and there was some discussion of needing to use a relay. Possibly the additional 12V supply has returned through the alarm box and damaged it?

Put your head next to the alarm box - it's above the driver's right knee on the transmission tunnel. You should hear it click... Alarm still work?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
I received an email from Randy (RSenn94RT10), as per your reference, before reading this post, and suggested what you said: "Possibly the additional 12V supply has returned through the alarm box and damaged it?" I sent him a schematic of what I think the dealer wired up for him, and suggested he test the alarm box for an output pulse sent with the key fob.
Later,

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The "How To" section has a good description of the installation and wiring if you want to check that. May want to try to run down the wire goes to the switch under the hood and see where it runs also.

My first move would be to try to reprogram the key fobs as this is a fairly easy thing to do.

1) Remove left knee panel.
2) Locate program wire lead - a dark green wire with a bullet insulator located right of steering column near the diagnostic connector.
3) Turn ignition switch to the ON position.
4) Connect green wire to a ground (use an aligator type jumper cable) - and make sure you have a good ground location.
5) Press button on transmitter to set code (not a bad time to change battery in the transmitter prior to doing this). If you have a second tranmitter, you must also program it now.
6) Disconnect program lead from ground which returns system to normal.
7) Turn off key and test key fob to see if it works.

I actually had a bad receiver that I had to replace that caused my poppers to work intermittently. Not sure if it went bad because of age or if in my initial install of the poppers, I had them adjusted a little tight.

The poppers are usually wired to the TRW receiver and not directly to the alarm system. The receiver connects to the alarm system to arm/disarm it. Both the receiver and the alarm unit are located on the transmission tunnel on the drivers side.

Does the switch under the hood still operate the popper?

Good Luck as Electrical Demons can be FUN!