PS vent tube..

hyatt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of one properly installed?

Thank you in advance!

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does that vent onto the track or street? I'm thinking that might not pass tech in some places. If you're twisting up your engine high enough to spew out your PS fluid you probably don't want to put that in front of yours or anyone else rubber.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the vent tube also come with a special cap for it to connect to?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had a conversation about this with Jon B, it overflows the fluid in the path of your front drivers side tire, not good if it overflows when you are taking a hard turn :crazy2:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does that vent onto the track or street? I'm thinking that might not pass tech in some places. If you're twisting up your engine high enough to spew out your PS fluid you probably don't want to put that in front of yours or anyone else rubber.

1000 % EXACTLY!

If it vents to the ground, you will cross the drips when turning. Duhh.

Better to have clean, fresh, hi-temp rated synthetic fluid, very tight cap, and NOT be speweing fluid anywhere, especially under your tires !!! [ So "properly installed" may be an oxymoron.]

i had a conversation about this with Jon B, it overflows the fluid in the path of your front drivers side tire, not good if it overflows when you are taking a hard turn :crazy2:

Johnny, unless you are in a hard-lock-right, it ends up on the ground mostly in front of your cornering REAR tires, where the last thing you want when cornering at the limits is a few drops or mist of hot P/S Fluid!

Last edited:

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ran a hose from that metal line to a catch bottle mounted behind front bumper. kills 2 birds that way. cap cant loosen and it wont vent anywhere but into a catch bottle.
pretty much run of the mill roadracing requirement stuff. easy and no big deal;)

100000000% simple fix :omg:

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i ran a hose from that metal line to a catch bottle mounted behind front bumper. kills 2 birds that way. cap cant loosen and it wont vent anywhere but into a catch bottle.
pretty much run of the mill roadracing requirement stuff. easy and no big deal;)

Good fix X-Metal.
I'm wondering how much PS gets spit out, have you ever found any PS fluid in your catch can?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

100000000% simple fix :omg:

Yeh I need a solution to mine too, that's a great idea!

Before I had the tube I just took a little fluid out to allow room, then put it back after I got done at the track.

Now with the tube I am wondering how much DOES leak out..?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so if I never track my car (or plan to) and don't really push the car all that hard at any point, is there any reason to worry about pushing liquid out of the power steering cap?

Seems to me that I'd never really build up enough pressure. Don't want to add a mod that is not needed.:nono:

Thanks!:headbang:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added it, if so much fluid dumps out it makes you crash I would expect there to be another issue that needs addressed.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so if I never track my car (or plan to) and don't really push the car all that hard at any point, is there any reason to worry about pushing liquid out of the power steering cap?

Seems to me that I'd never really build up enough pressure. Don't want to add a mod that is not needed.:nono:

I had overflow before I ever tracked my Viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The problem is the p/s reservoir is from a Jeep. In the Jeep there is plenty of space to keep it away from engine heat. In the Viper it is much closer to the engine and the heat and torque of the V10 causes the cap to loosen. Cap falls off, fluid hit headers, and you can start grilling smores on your Viper while you wait for the fire dept. to arrive. You being a fireman just means you can put the fire out yourself (but you don't get smores afterwards) :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda always thought the vent tube really just held the cap on better. thats pretty much why i put it on. i cant imagine much if any fluid coming out

i just didnt want a fire from it getting on the headers

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda always thought the vent tube really just held the cap on better. thats pretty much why i put it on. i cant imagine much if any fluid coming out

i just didnt want a fire from it getting on the headers

I thought so too. Why not just block the exit to the tube when tracking? No leaking fluid and no possibility for the cap to loosen and spin off. Hmmmm, maybe a small cork is the solution....:smirk:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, if this is as common as it sounds, why didn't Chrysler do a re-call and change the cap or develop a solution? I know....its Chrysler...just askin'!:dunno:

Okay, guess I'll add to the list of to-do's.

Thanks!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda always thought the vent tube really just held the cap on better. thats pretty much why i put it on. i cant imagine much if any fluid coming out.

I think it's good for keeping the cap in place. I don't remember any fluid leaking out of the tube on the track. For those of you that actually vent to a catch can, how much fluid are you catching out of the tube?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are puking PS fluid it is too old, too cheap, and / or too full. C'mon, guys, would Team Viper - PVO - SRT, who flogs the crap out of our cars, make that critical error? NO!

The story of frequent power steering fluid fires in a Viper is an urban legend. PS Fluid usually scorches, and makes acrid smoke, long before it ignites (if ever). I know of ONE tiny fire, where the loose cap became lodged against the race headers and the CAP scorched and smoked, had a bit of "flamage" but no fire. Weve bought sveral "burner" cars too, but NOT from PS Fluid !!!

The SCARE TACTIC we tech inspectors used in days of old, at Viper Days, Viper Nationals, and HPDE events, was to frighten you into using a shop rag or towel to be CERTAIN the caps are VERY tight after a pre-track-inspection. They vibrate off. It happened to me ONCE in 1993...never again.

I have seen several Vipers get black-flagged for smoke, come in hot, NO CAP..... and a spray mist of stinky fluid underhood. Not a flare up. We loaned / borrowed caps from off-track cars!

If you go to an HPDE where a non-Viper person techs your car, RE-CHECK THE PS CAP. A Must.

OLD PS FLUID BOILS, just like old brake fluid. It smells scorched when it is too old, just smell it on your fingertips when warm, not on skin when HOT. Smell the dipstick. And change it frequently, even if you just use a suction or turkey baster to change the reservoir several times a track-weekend. The fluid circulates well. If you put too much in, it will Puke when hot, thru the vented cap. Capturing or re-routing the puke is NOT the solution! Prevent the puke, with the properer fill of clean, good, synthetic fluid.

Last edited:

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story of frequent power steering fluid fires in a Viper is an urban legend. PS Fluid usually scorches, and makes acrid smoke, long before it ignites (if ever).

I can agree with this after watching a Jeep roll on the trail with its entire reservoir of ps fluid dumping all over the headers and block. Smokey but no flames.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can echo the comment about Jeeps, as they're pretty common up here and I've been to a number of Grand Cherokee's being unside down/on their sides....never a fire.

So, again maybe an obvious question, if the issue is the cap loosening, then instead of an overflow tube, how come nobody has come up with a better designed/fitting cap so it DOESN'T GET LOOSE?

Hey, just askin' !!!:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ironic that the Gen 1-2 PS pumps and reservoirs are from the JEEP !!

You have to clean the threasd on the reservoir, adn on the cap, and THEN TIGHTEN. Road grime and grit and vibration losens the caps on Vipes and Jeeps I guess. If you dont have a tight cap, at a track or hillclimb or crawl, its YOUR FAULT, not Chrysler's!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Sir! I will do that, Sir! I'm sorry the cap was not tight, Sir! It won't happen again, Sir! I'm ready for KP duty, Sir! :D

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I invented the power steering vent tube after buying my 95 Viper with 800 miles and the cap came off with 1/4 twist. It was only designed to keep the cap from twisting off which it does nicely. The arch in the tube means fluid would have to go pretty far up before leaking out and the tube exit keeps anything away from the headers. C'mon, you are not going to be spraying fluid out the tube. The threads on the cap and the reservoir and the proximity to the headers allow the cap to work itself off. There are a million ways to hook hoses, duct tape, screw clamps, etc. to secure the cap. Just don't block the airflow out the hole and replace your fluid on a regular basis.

The power steering vent tube accomplishes the goal and looks good. I sold a ton of them and priced them so low that I didn't make a penny. I did it for Viper members, not to quit my day job. I bought everything from suppliers in Detroit so I hope we kept a few US workers employed too.

I moved to Arizona and found a few in a box the other day if anyone needs one.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are worried about the flow of the fluid out of the tube couldn't you just block the tube to stop the flow? I like the idea of it holding the cap in place and would like one for that function, 95 Viper PM me I would be interested in one Thanks!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are worried about the flow of the fluid out of the tube couldn't you just block the tube to stop the flow? I like the idea of it holding the cap in place and would like one for that function, 95 Viper PM me I would be interested in one Thanks!

Don't block the tube as the reservoir needs to vent. This is why I am concerned about rubber tubes that can kink. The concern with this entire issue is keeping the cap from falling off, not fluid spraying out.