PSF=ATF?

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just stopped by my local Dodge dealer to pick up some Mopar PSF "All Climate" and they gave me ATF+4 instead. They said it's the same stuff. Anyone know if this is true?

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be paying them a visit to return the transmission fluid.

Or maybe I could send in the **** Strike Force to teach them a lesson?:nono:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The power steering and auto transmission fluid installed at high volume production facilities is ATF+4. For the car/truck plants there is only one ATF/PS distribution system and in general the PS is developed to work with the current generation of ATF. The Viper has not been consistent. Refer to your vehicles owners or service manual for the correct fluid.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder my '06 Charger steered hard when cold. Did much better with GM Cold Climate PSF.

Oh... but you said high volume. (Gallows humor.)

For years GM had a PROT (Pressure Relief Oil Test) requirement which simply ran the pump as if the steering wheel were turned all the way to one side. The vane tips and inside of the pump cavity were rated for scuffing (if the pump didn't stall). Texaco had a synthetic ***** oil friction modifier that was the secret to an easy pass. This test was also what kept PSF and ATF from being the same - the FM in the PSF was "good" but in the ATF was "bad" because it affected the shift quality.