PSF or ATF+4

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type/brand of power steering fluid (PSF) are you all using? My car's owners manual calls for ATF+4. But I have been told by many people to just use PSF.
Any guidance would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken
:confused:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...and, by the way, your 2006 Owner's Manual has the correct info on page 222...noting that the 2006 Service Manuals (issued in mid 2006) have the incorrect fluid listed. Nice, huh??!!!

P.S. The fluid you need conforms to MS 9602 ....which is Mopar ATF+4 AND Mopar's "Power Steering Fluid +4"

Last edited:
OP
OP
ACR VYPR

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the information Steve :2tu:
I just siphoned some fluid out of the PS reservoir and it is in fact ATF, it's red in color and pretty clean.
Over the past few days I have called several different dealerships, the service managers have all told me to use PSF:dunno:. Some went as far to say the owner’s manual is wrong:omg:.

Anyone want to buy a pint of PSF:eater:?

Ken

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the REAL confusion came with the 2003 Cooling module recall where D-C REQUIRED the Techs to use the old "old style" PS fluid as the fill upon completeon of the recall...which was indeed the factory fill at the time.

At this point, I believe most EXPERIENCED Viper Techs are using the ATF+4 in all the Gen III's...makes sense to me as the fluid has "double duty" running the fan and the PS.

Enjoy your Snake !!!!

OP
OP
ACR VYPR

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, that was some good reading in the 2003 PS link.
It is hard to believe that 4 years later we are still discussing the same problem.
The 2008 Vipers have an electric fan now.
I wonder what type of PSF they use?:rolaugh::lmao::rolaugh::lmao::rolaugh:

OP
OP
ACR VYPR

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, I'll be at Indy this Sept for MOTOGP. I'll have to buy you a beer.
Again, thanks for the info.
Ken