Pushed my Viper 4 miles on my Birthday!!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leading a pretty hectic life as of late, moving into a new building, leaving the Viper in a garage at another building, taking on a new manager for this location to take care of the place. Thought I'd take him out for a ride in the Viper as he had been asking for a while.

Birthday on Sunday, nice day out on the lake all day, have a nice base tan kickin' now. After getting home washed up the GTS and talked to Fred who had wanted the ride for a while and thought now is the time.

We leave the place here around 11pm for a toot, car is running fine, cruise around for an hour or so, get some fuel and take it out on the expressway for a romp. Some gear runs no problem, I turn around at an exit and run thru the gears and on the shift into third it goes completely in and then makes a horrific noise, sounding like a handful of bolts in a tin can. The car is bucking in every gear, still running. Give one more shot of gas into 4th to get some speed and this problem is hard to explain, at one point the was accelerating fine in 4th slowly and then bang, the bucking and can of bolt sounds come on and the car lurches. I shut her down and coast to a stop.

Here is where it gets interesting. It's now 12:30am, the roads are empty, I am about 4 miles from my house with Fred. No tow trucks would be able to lift it without fascia damage so we PUSH the car for 4 miles, thru stop signs, lights, you name it. Few stops at any open convience stores along the way for some fluids. About a 4 hour trip in all, we did make good time and was basically at walking pace the entire time.

Interesting to note no one called the police, as several people stopped and offered help. Thought it was an odd site two younger guys in baseball hats pushing a Viper around the city. What a day, and it was my birthday no less.

Anyone offer any kind of help on the diagnosis here? Motor for sure, noise is from under the hood. All fluids look good with no cross over. Checked the belt and pulleys and things are all bit down good. Balancer pulley is still tight (the 250 lb one). Was thinking it might have been that but isn't.

Thanks for any help gang, I know the descript is vague but all I have to go on right now, what a night, I just woke up now.

Have to look at the bright side, the car is in my garage, unscathed from the incident body wise, and can be fixed on my terms under my supervision. If this happened 3 weeks ago at a 1/4 mile track or road circuit I would have been in deeper trouble hauling wise!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine. I wouldn't push the thing 1/4 mile. Tow ropes work pretty good. What in the world would cause an intermittent "handful of bolts in a tin can" sound?

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grin* Only the locals know about Mons? Or is it just THAT notorious ?

Oh no, if you're male and have ever been in the Tampa area, you'd know about Mons Venus. It's reputation precedes it!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'specially when your girl takes you there and dances JUST for you in the corner... then all the dancers come over and compliment her FUN FUN! :D

yeah baby!

G

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you hear the kind of sound you describe, that is usually not good news. Nothing under the hood looks bad?

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Ryan, that is bad news. I can see you have been really busy lately. We haven't had a chance to chat. Let me know if you still want to hook up sometime in July.

take care,

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it's in the tranny since you mentioned you heard the noise when shifting. If it was making that noise in neutral and revving then obviously it's the engine.

Well, at least you got a good workout :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it make a noise when the clutch is depressed. That is a more certain way to disconnect the transmission. If the tranny is broken internally it could still be making noise in neutral. Being able to push it is a good clue though that it was not locked up.

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Mons venus, there is a heaven on earth. Words dont describe the feelings on gets after a night at Mons. Everytime Im in Tampa Im there at least one night. What a great place for VCA meetings and such...

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies gang, still a little sore from the push, will hit the trip and see what the total push was, at least 4 miles, no one seems to believe my story knowing the distance involved.

Anyways Mike is popping down this weekend for some go-karting and will stop by and check it out, thanks for the offer Mike, any time will be compensated of course. I would prefer to start the thing only when a trained ear is around (Mike) to prevent any further damage.

With the bucking in gear and bolts in a can noise would push assumptions to the tranny end, but I am not so sure.

Time will tell......

and to the Mons crowd, that Slaughter character dragged me into such a hideous establishment further tarnishing my already rock bottom reputation in these parts as one who does not seem to enjoy the company of a lady for very long before sampling the wares in someother district.

Too bad I had the same clothes on from Canada (1400 miles and 18 hours) as I was cutting it tight to make it to Mike's Viper party before everyone left to cruise, my A game was not on that's for sure, maybe next time I'll try showering first!!!hahahaha......

Thanks for the upbeat vibe, normally I would be peeved about something like this with the car, but I just do not have the time to be bothered mentally. It's a car, and it will be fixed, period.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and to the Mons crowd, that Slaughter character dragged me into such a hideous establishment further tarnishing my already rock bottom reputation in these parts as one who does not seem to enjoy the company of a lady for very long before sampling the wares in someother district.

Tarnished it further? Yeah, right :rolleyes: :D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry that I missed that evening you guys met up at Mons.

I must've been busy.

Yeah, but GenXGTS and I were witnesses to how busy you were later on ;)

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have got to have the longest Viper push in history.Sounds imaginable,4 miles and to top it off-your birthday!
Glad you made it home O.K.
Happy Birthday!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe someone mentioned the Mons! I'm dying over here. I lived in Tampa about 6 years ago and every time a buddy came down we went to the Mons. Nothing like it. Unreal..."in the light" (you who've been there will know what I mean...the lights around the inside of the stage).

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the push! What a friend you got, helping you push your car 4 miles! I would have set in the front seat and steered!!!!!