Quebec to BC...3450 miles in my GTS FE

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in January I bought my 2002 Viper GTS Final Edition from a dealership in Montreal. Faced with the problem of how to get it from Quebec to my home in British Columbia I had the choice of shipping it (boring) or driving it (fun). So the plan was hatched to wait for Canada to unthaw (this takes longer in some parts than others), and then to fly out to Montreal Quebec and drive it home to BC on a cross Canada road trip/adventure.

Waiting five and a half months till I was sure we wouldn’t get fluke snow was tedious, but ultimately well worth the wait. May 18th My Wife and I flew out of our little Fort St. John airport, transferred through Vancouver and landed in Montreal around midnight. After checking in to our Holiday Inn the Wifey was hungry, room service had ended, and because it was a long weekend/holiday pratically everything in Montreal was closed. So we jumped in a cab and directed the driver to find the closest 24hour Mcdonalds (you can always count on McDonalds). What ensued was a two hour guided tour of Montreal at night. My wife and I had never been to Montreal before and our cabbie showed us some of the highlights; Notre Dame cathedral, Old Montreal, St. Josephs cathedral, shopping districts, parliament buildings, the list goes on…and all while noming on McDonalds which we eventually found somewhere in Old Montreal. Considering our tight schedule and plans to be in Toronto the next day it was really a great fluke that we such a great cab driver who killed his meter and showed us all over the place for $100 bucks…we really wouldn’t have seen much of Montreal if we hadn’t ventured out that night.

Anyways back to the car…after breakfast we caught a cab over to Clairview Motors (who were excellent to deal with by the way…ask for Albert). I could see my Viper parked out front before the cab even got there…it looked amazing! As I walked around it looking it over I was delighted with my purchase…the paint was perfect, the wheels were almost perfect (a little bit of rash on the passenger rear), the interior was spotless and everything else (exhaust, stereo, engine bay) was all super clean and looking pretty much brand new.
At this point the car had 12,200 miles on it 19,500 kilometres for those on metric system (the cars odometer reads in miles because it was imported from the States in 2003). Everything at the dealer had already been taken car of so I just took it for a quick test drive to make sure it ran good and we threw our duffel bags in the trunk, shook some hands and hit the road.

Over the next 10 days (we spent 3 day in Toronto) we drove from Montreal to Toronto, and from there we stopped over in Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder bay, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and our last night was spent in Jasper National Park before making the final push home. We covered between 550 to 800 kilometres per day, saw a lot of Canada and had a great time…here are some pics from our journey. (for some reason the pics we took in Montréal didn’t save in the camera properly so they start from northern Ontario)

A few pics by Lake Superior…this is in between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder bay.
You must be registered for see images

I added some Canadian flags to the car for the trip...although I now think there a permanent fixture because they got a lot of positive comments

Me looking smug

We found a great view at a rest stop…still Lake Superior

This little town who’s name escapes me on the way to Thunder bay had these HUGE geese every were, so a pic was in order

Cool old rusted out tractor in the same little town

A boarded up old building I took some pics in front of

Wifey and I at the Terry Fox Memorial outside Thunder Bay

Getting further north between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg

@ the parliament buildings in Winnipeg

You can see the flood waters haven’t receded completely yet (Manitoba had huge flooding this spring)

Wifey huggin one of Winnipegs painted bears…Hey! I think that bears coppin a feel!

Bears checking out the ride

OP
OP
N

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Entering prairie country

Nomin on ice cream

Regina

Heading for Calgary

Pics on the plains

Heading into the Rockies (Banff and onto Jasper)

Wifey looking pretty

I was surprised the water is still frozen in places

Some shots @ the Columbia Ice Fields (a big glacier that famous in these parts)

This monster rig is used to take tours out onto the glacier

This big horned mountain sheep didn’t even care we were rumbling by

On the back deck of the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge were we spent our last night of the trip

Parked out front of the Fairmont…no valet drivers for my baby

Starting to head out of the mountains around Grand Cache

Arriving in my driveway 3450 miles later…the end of our trip

I quick review on the Viper...Its fantastic! No problems the whole trip, great on the highways (21mpg), good in the rain…I was actually surprised by its poise in the wet, I could break my NSX loose with ease, but the huge Michelins on the Viper needed a lot of left foot to break traction (not OEM they are one year old). The seats were comfy and supportive even on the longer 8 hour days. The car has full BB headers and exhaust and it makes a great noise…way better than stock. It drones a bit but it is easy to avoid by keeping the revs in the right range. Clutch travel is a little long, but not heavy at all…even getting stuck in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic downtown Toronto was’nt much of a headache. It does like to hunt around for ruts in the road surface. This is my first time in a car with tires this large so I’m not sure if that’s normal or not, but its minor and I can still easily do everything with one hand or even my fingers…it just requires more attention than some cars when making lane changes and passing. I had it up to 160mph and it was rock solid, the steering is super direct and after the connected feeling of the viper other cars I jump in feel very vague. Lastly I’m pleased with how well dampened the ride is…I test drove a Corvette C6 Z06 a year ago and dear god…I went over a set of train tracks and thought the car was gunna break…comparatively the Viper is very smooth and handles imperfections and bumps quite well for a car that handles like it does. I think people who complain about Vipers being archaic are weird. Not the most sophisticated car by any means…but far from the beast many make it out to be.

From an attention point of view all I’ve gotten so far is positive, lots of people wondering what it is, lots of waves and thumbs up, we got randomly flashed by a ******* a sidewalk (that was a first)…no hater issues, no wanna be ricers trying to race, anyone I gave rides to thought it was awesome. A quote from a friend “the way it throws your head back at 100 km/hr is awesome”…I replied “uhh, that was 100 mph ”.

Its been lots of fun…So after having put more miles on in twenty days then some people put on there cars in three years, over 4000 miles and counting, I plan to just keep driving the hell out of it…I’m not into garage queens.

Northernsnake

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! You've put more miles on that Viper in a week than I put on mine in the (almost) year that I've had it, and I drove mine back to Illinois from North Carolina when I bought it. Congrats on the purchase:2tu:

P.S. Check out Dodge Viper Final Edition Registry if you haven't already.

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great pics!!! I envey you getting to do that trip. I've lived in Montreal Toronto Winnipeg and Vancouver and I would love to visit them all in a trip like yours.

Enjoy...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome story and fantastic pictures too! Be sure to join the Western Canada Region of the VCA, many of them have taken similar treks and I suspect you would find a LOT in common with them!

icedrive3.jpg

Again, congrats!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good story. Good pictures. Those cars have been built to be driven! Very good, man. Congratulations!!!

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great pictures and nice write up. I wish I had done that when I drove mine back from LA. to Ontario. I think the name of the town with the huge goose is Wawa.

Enjoy the car
Stew

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice !!!
I wish had the time to make the same travel !
The first trip is always the most important.

This story should go into the Viper Magazine !

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent read! Thanks much for sharing! Extraordinary pics! Makes me want to take a cross country "spin" some day too.

For future use, you will make it easier if you reduce your photo sizes for viewing on the site. I use this FastStone Photo Resizer - Powerful Image Converter/Resizer . It's free and quick even for large batches of photos. Mind you, your post was still well worth the large download wait! :2tu:

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Great to hear from someone who enjoys the car as a daily driver and who, without hesitation, heads out on a trip most people would spend weeks contemplating in any car. I've put 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) on my '08 in 6 months of road time and will probably add another 3-5K (miles) before this season's finished. It's a terrific "road trip" car - never had a problem; 25 miles per US gallon at 60 mph, 21 at 75.

Sounds like yours was handled with care by previous owner; it's a great looking car, too. Nice pix. Thanks for sharing. I'm contemplating the same trip to BC from Toronto, perhaps next summer.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the Car! :2tu:

What beautiful pictures man!! Absolutely beautiful ride and countryside you live in!! I did some bear hunting up in Canada a few years back and the area was awesome. I do love Canada!

OP
OP
N

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words. It was a great trip, i plan to keep rackin up the miles (i'm heading to kelowna in ten days) so hopefull i'll have more good experiences to share.

and yes i believe my FE is the only Viper in FSJ right now. i heard there was a red 2006 coupe in town last summer but i never saw it, and relatives of the owner told me it has since been sold to someone out of town. its fun to have the only Viper in town...considering there are probably 20+ corvettes and 5 or 6 porsches.

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great pictures and great read. I am doing something very similar this Wednesday (June 17). My trek starts in Regina, SK and pit stops will be: Minneapolis, Kansas City, Memphis, Atlanta, St.Louis and back up.

Congrats on the vehicle.

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff,

Here's a guy (and his willing girlfriend!)that are "Doers". The type of Viper owner. DO IT.

Congratulation, I love the pics in the mountains, reminds me of those trips in Banff, back when I was hitchiking all the way from Quebec and could only dream about Vipers and Porsches, ...

Great stuff man

V

Venomiss

Great pictures of one of the best drives ever!

Hope you get in touch with Craig Sanford and check out this site if you haven't already.
Canada: Western
website

Be sure to read the Western Canada regional area too.
Welcome!