Question about buying an '03 Viper Please!

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question about buying an \'03 Viper Please!

Hello, everyone. I am new here and have been looking into buying an '03 Viper(currently own a 2003 Z06) and had a few questions I knew you all could help me with.

I heard you can get an '03 for invoice(or near invoice). What is invoice on one? Which dealers or areas are they available at invoice? I am in Memphis and would like to have it shipped, rather than putting too many miles on it driving it back.

Also, who here is leasing? I am thinking of going the lease route, since I don't keep a car that long, and I can get the payment down by doing so. I wondered what type of residuals and lease terms were out there. And last but not least. When do the '04s come out? Someone at a local Dodge dealer told me next April. Is this true??

Sorry about the long rant. I just have a few unanswered questions and I knew this would be the place to ask(I get no help locally).

Thanks in advance. Awesome sight you got here.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Question about buying an \'03 Viper Please!

I don't think you're going to find an 03 anywhere at dlr invoice. Too many voucher holders are still waiting on their cars to be delivered. I paid sticker for mine and believed I got a reasonable deal. I think what you're hearing about invoice price is either from voucher holders or is inaccurate. I shopped for a while and the going rate seemed to be around $90K at the time. I don't even know why you would care that much if you're already willing to pay the shipping $$ anyway (which will probably run close to $1,500 and be a big pain in the **** to deal with, plus you don't even get to see the actual vehicle first).

Carpoint and all the nomral online places can verify the invoice and sticker price, but I think it's around $76K. Sticker is $83,795, including the $3K gas guzzler tax.

I would bet that the 04s are out before April. That sounds like dealer BS to me. If you're really interested in buying a new one at a good deal and don't mind waiting or paying shipping, there are several members of this forum that are dealers: Woodhouse, Tator Dodge, etc.

If you've already contacted your local dealers, looked at eBay and searched online, I would contact some of the very reputable dealers that post on these forums. They know their cars and have lots of satisfied customers.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I firmly believe you can buy an SRT for sticker at this point. I would also make Woodhouse one of my first calls, followed by a couple other advertisers on these forums (Roanoke, etc.). Bill Pemberton is the Viper sales guy of choice for many around here and can be reached at (800) 889-1893. If he doesn't have the SRT you are looking for he can certainly track one down.

I would also politely disagree with Todd, as shipping is a breeze and the Viper is generally not a "tire kicker" you need to see beforehand. Assuming you have seen an SRT in person and know that is the car you want, then buying a new one that is to be shipped is an absolute no-brainer. Woodhouse delivers their own cars in enclosed trailers, so it makes it even better. I would be willing to bet that more Viper owners have had their cars shipped to them vs. buying them on the spot. It is just the way it is done, especially if you want to buy it from a respected dealership that will take care of you during your entire ownership experience.

I have no idea on the lease and suspect that the '04's will be released in late 2003. Just guessing. Oh, and if you don't mind buying a car with some miles, watch eBay and the Viper Classifieds (or check with Woodhouse), as a few slightly-used 2003 SRT's have hit the marketplace... Good luck in your search!

Chris

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought my car from Woodhouse. You will get the best deal on the car from them. No way you will get one for invoice as Chris said. Right now I think you can get one for a little off the sticker,and thats it. That's a lot better than a couple months ago. By the way, you will love this car. I had six of them in the past, and this car is so much more in styling, and performance, words can't describe it. Ask for Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse, he can ship the car for less than any car hauler co. out there.

Skip White

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had two shipped from Woodhouse and the experience is, to say the least, exciting. Watching her roll off the truck is something to record for posterity. And, it will be just fine getting it sight unseen. Waiting until 04 is a winner too, since some of the minor bugs will probably be gone.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also, who here is leasing? I am thinking of going the lease route, since I don't keep a car that long , and I can get the payment down by doing so.

Its a VIPER (NOT a regular vehicle), you WILL keep it a LONG TIME and LOVE IT!! I was looking on E-bay yesterday and theres a dealer stating that they have an '04 already for sale?? So, I guess they are already out now?? :confused:

Austin

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am now debating whether to bite the bullet and get an '03 or wait a few months and get an '04. I would liek to have an '03 while the weather is nice rather than wait until winter(unless Austin is right and the '04s are already out) to get one and have to store it until March. As for shipping. I wholesale tennis shoes all over the country(and world for that matter) and can arrange shipping pretty cheap with the trucking companies I deal with on a daily basis. I have not seen one up close but I plan on doing so of course.

I will definitely call the places mentioned above and I greatly appreciate all the honest replies!!

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Trusting your Viper to a guy who usually hauls sneakers doesn't sound like a very good idea.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some certificate holders don't even have their 2003 cars yet, so what makes people think the 2004's are out already?

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some certificate holders don't even have their 2003 cars yet, so what makes people think the 2004's are out already?

Im just going by what I read on E-bay. Now, I know E-bay isnt really that reliable of a source but, you NEVER know. Im just stating what I read. :confused:

Austin

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Trusting your Viper to a guy who usually hauls sneakers doesn't sound like a very good idea.

haha. What do you mean? It's a trucking company. They haul everything. I just happen to deal with them by shipping my cases of shoes. They use 52 foot and 40 foot trailors like any other trucking company does so I don't see what the problem is. My brother bought a vehicle in Connecticut and I had it shipped here in an enclosed trailor pretty cheap. I was guessing a Viper would be less because I would buy it from a more commonly routed city/state(Chicago, NY, CA,TX. The shipping from Connecticut was a little more because it is not a common route(CT to TN).

Also, why are some voucher holders still Viper-less??

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some are still Viper-less obviously because they have not taken delivery yet. Great cars takes time to build, unlike vettes! ;)

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some are still Viper-less obviously because they have not taken delivery yet. Great cars takes time to build, unlike vettes! ;)

haha. My car has cruise AND a cup holder!!(and still runs low 12s)...haha!

I know they haven't taken delivery yet but why not? Didn't most (or all) voucher holders have a certificate before the '03s came out? Also, I thought Vipers were only made like 3 months out of the year. Wouldn't that mean that they are done with production and they should all be delivered already? Again, this is just stuff I have heard. I am a fan of the Viper but do not know too much about them(yet). Thanks!!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's see if some math works out. My numbers are from memory only, so VERY suspect!

They planned on 1500 the first year at about 8 per day, but starting slower than that for the first month or so. Probably started building in November. SO, 20 work days per month is about 150 cars per month. With 8 months gone, that is about 1200 cars. Should be about 300 left. It's logical, but probably based on shakey data.

From what is thrown about on this board and past dealer experience, they may start the 04s in September.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank, I think you are correct with your calculations. I know of a member in Ontario that has not taken delivery of 2 SRT's and also think that many are still just arriving in California.
2003torchred - I have a semi-cup holder, problem is at high speeds with the top down, and about 1/3 of my Starbucks left, the cup lifts off right out of the holder! Cruise control would be too scary set at 180 mph :eek:

PIT VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check with James Cole at Bluebonnet Dodge in New Braunfels, TX. He just got an extra black SRT-10 allotted to the dealership by Dodge and says he is willing to deal. He can be reached at 830-606-3463.

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess all that "3 months out of the year" BS isn't true. I have actually heard that a few times from dealers. Then again, we rarely see Vipers down here at dealers.

aspviper- I wouldn't be too worried about a cup holder either..lol. I was just messin' with ya. Hell, I got one(if you wanna call it that) but doesn't fit a large drink(at most places). As for cruise, that would require me staying at a certain MPH for a while...lol!

Thanks again, guys!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll second (third? forth?) the recommendation to call Bill Pemberton (800-889-1893). We've bought all three of our Vipers through him, had them all shipped, and nary a problem. He'll give you as good a price as can be had, and zero BS to accompany it.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

haha. What do you mean? It's a trucking company.

Good luck. Oh, yeah. It doesn't make any difference what mechanic you take your Viper to, either. They all have tools.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't imagine there are too many ctf holders still waiting for their 2003 SRT. I finally got my car last week. I was guilty of not getting to the dealer until the final day the certificate was valid for ordering. Later I changed my color choice from red to black which may have set me back even further in line.

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

haha. What do you mean? It's a trucking company.

Good luck. Oh, yeah. It doesn't make any difference what mechanic you take your Viper to, either. They all have tools.

That was a bad analogy. So, you mean the driver may damage the car? Or will it not be secured in the truck? What I meant was that the company I use delivers everything from cars, to shoes,etc. I happen to use them for shoes, because that's what I do for a living. I have also used them to deliver my brother's car from CT. I call them, tell them what I need shipped and where it is, and they get it to me. So, I guess I still don't get what you mean. Or maybe you thought the trucking company I used only delivers shoes or something.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He means, if you don't have someone who specifically knows how to deliver Vipers, based on experience, you're Viper is likely going to be ****** up!

You must be registered for see images

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As long as the trucker has a good tie-down system to secure the car and everything else in the truck is also secured, I doubt you'll have a problem. As others have posted, many Vipers have been shipped problem-free to their owners by experienced Viper-oriented dealers. My 2002 arrived in an enclosed truck after 1500 uneventful miles courtesy of Roanoke Motors in Illinois (a sponsor of this site and high volume Viper dealer). Can't find the toll-free number at the moment but you can call dealership owner John Gastman at (309) 923-7823 for solid info and a reasonable deal. Without a certificate (long ago expired) you probably won't buy anything near invoice but soon pricing around MSRP seems likely as the start of 2004 production can't be far away.

mrviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 03 Viper SRT/10's in stock @ MSRP. Red Black or Silver. We can also help with leasing and shipping if needed.

Thanks

Eric Lee
Latham Motors
208-736-7080

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What I mean is that if you don't use an auto shipping company that knows what it is doing and that has prior experience with high dollar cars, you are likely to end up with your car damaged in shipping. Just because some outfit has a truck with ties downs and vast experience shipping such stuff as sneakers and dog food hardly means that they are competent to ship your Viper.

Just because a doctor has a medical license or a lawyer has a law license doesn't mean that you can trust 'em to squish around in your guts or handle a complex legal matter. Just because a trucking company owns a truck and tie downs doesn't mean you can trust 'em with your Viper.

And yes, Jeff, your car arrived just fine from Roanoke. They, and other dealers, uneventfully ship Vipers all the time. And the "uneventfully" part happens because they use companies that handle Vipers and other such cars all the time. You don't think that Roanoke just opens the phone book to "trucking companies" and picks one at random, do you?

Anyway, for those of you think that any ol' trucking company will do, good luck in your game of russian roulette with your car. Maybe your Viper will show up just fine, maybe it won't.

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see what you guys are saying. I have used them once before with shipping a car for my brother. I would compare this company with the others suggested and if there wasn't that much difference, I would of course go with a reputable company that dealt with Vipers.

Thanks for the info guys!

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even if you have to pay substantially more for a car transport company with a good reputation and much experience shipping high dollar cars, it will likely be a wise investment. You wouldn't go to the least expensive doctor or lawyer just because they were cheap, would you?

OP
OP

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I know. that's why i said if it wasn't TOO much more. If it was flat out ridiculous, I would go with the company I use(that I have already had a vehicle shipped with and had no problems). On the other hand, if it is ridiculous, I would just drive and pick it up myself.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Simply stick with Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse, John Gastman at Roanoke, Chuck Tator at Tators or Tom Sessions in North Carolina, sorry I don't know the latters dealers name. Then let them ship it, or you go there and drive it home. you will also get a great deal. Don't deal with anyone you can't get a recommendation from this board about.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte