Question about salvage title

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would a Steel Gray 2000 RT/10, black interior, hard top, 11,000 miles with a salvage title be worth? I'm not sure what happened to it, besides that it was hit in the right rear and repaired.

Thanks

-Rick

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say what happened to it but it must have been enough damage for an insurance company to think it was a total. Most likely a bent frame because if it was wacked in the back those parts are not as expensive as a hood. I would check it very carefully. There are points on the bottom of the frame where you can take diagnal dimensions. I would recommend that you do that. The dimensions better not be off more than an 1/8 of an inch. You should also look to see if any of the structural tubes used for mounting the control arms are pushed in. If so you may never be able to get a good alignment on that corner. Unless you are really saving over 15 grand over a like year perfect car than you should keep looking. If you ever need to sell it than you may regret being penny wise and pound foolish.

OP
OP
R

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a Carfax tell what kind of damage was done? If so could someone run this VIN: 1B3ER65E8YV602776.

Thanks!

-Rick

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think carfax will get that specific. What you need to do is find out who the original owner was. Bet he could fill you in.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's assume the car has been fixed so it's almost perfect (although you've not indicated that is the case). It's not worth any more than $25K, because when you turn around to sell it, nobody will want that car! There are too many perfect, low mileage garage queen Vipers out there to buy a wrecked one. The only way I'd say it's worth considering is if it's been fixed so you can't tell there was ever any damage, you can buy it for $20-25K, you plan to drive it yourself, and you don't give a rodent's rear end about any future resale value (cause there isn't any!).

If the car hasn't been made 100% right, you don't want it! If you're thinking you can get it fixed, remember that Viper parts are very expensive, and that when you're done you'll have a lot more money in that car than it is worth.

I say pass.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is is it straight or not.Race car hits the wall.You cut out the bent parts and weld in straight parts.The car is either fixed corectly and is straight or not.It may even be straighter than the original factory frame.Shame about that salvage title nonsense. Bruce

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rick,

I bought an RT/10 from a dealer that was sold to me as "clean" in excellent condition and it turned out to have a salvaged title. The car was not right and the frame had been bent, actually the original owner was killed in the accident I came to find out. I sold it for half of what I paid for it. In this case Carfax was wrong and they paid me for their mistake. My advice is to stay as far away from anything but a "clean" titled Viper as possible.

Good Luck,

Hadaviper