Question for folks who do or run track days/HPDE/Viper Days . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the length of this post but thought this might be good food for thought for those that take their cars to HPDEs and driving schools.

I am getting ready to do about 8-10 HPDE/driving schools this year at various tracks in Oregon and Washington. I have completed my research on companies that offer collision insurance and have been pleased to find that there are multiple options available.

FYI, the companies I have found that offer liability insurance for track days are Anthony & Company (located in New Jersey), Ontrackinsurance.com (site member ACR Steve is one of the administrators of this program) and Locktonaffinity (they are the main providers of track day insurance on motorsportreg.com). A this point I am leaning heavily in favor of ontrackinsurance.com because of competitive pricing and because they offer insurance through an admitted insurer. (I believe this means that the company is guaranteed by a state's insurance fund which will step in and pay claims if the company defaults. Ordinarily I would not be so concerned about this but in these "interesting" times one cannot be so sure about a company's future existence). I am waiting to hear confirmation from ACR Steve that their insurer is admitted in Oregon and Washington.

Anyway, on to my question: I am also seriously considering the need for liability insurance at these events. So far, the only company I have found that offers liability is Anthony & Company. They are offering liability coverage for 8-10 track days for about $1500. On the one hand, this seems like fairly cheap peace of mind but on the other hand every event I attend involves the signing of a waiver that releases claims against participants. My question for those who run or regularly attend track/HPDE events, do you have liability insurance or do you believe that the track organizers waiver language and insurance coverage is sufficient?

I am an attorney but by no means specialize in sports or recreational law. My analysis below was for my own use and is not intended as legal advice nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship with anyone on this board blah blah etc etc. That being said, I did a little research and of course I found that states appear to be split on whether a comprehensive liability waiver would bar, for example, a lawsuit by the heirs of someone seriously injured or killed at the track. See, e.g. Gershon, Administratrix Ad Prosequendum for Estate of Pietroluongo, 368 N.J.Super. 237, 845 A.2d 720 (2004) (holding that broad liability waiver signed by participant who died in diving activity did not bar surviving wife and daughter from suing dive shop that conducted activity on grounds that New Jersey statute and public policy disfavored such waivers and that signing of such waiver by deceased father could bind deceased father but not ex-wife and daughter who did not sign waiver). In contrast other states such as California seem more willing to strictly enforce these types of waivers. See, e.g., Madison v. Superior Court, 203 Cal.App.3d 589, 250 Cal.Rptr. 299 (1988) (in case also involving a fatal diving accident, California court holding that signing of broad waiver of liability by person killed in diving accident operated to bar claims by surviving family members since dive shop could assert same defenses--including waiver of liability--against family that shop could assert against diver had he survived accident).

As luck would have it, neither Oregon nor Washington courts seems to have squarely confronted the issue of enforcing waivers of liability. Without some more clear assurance that I would be covered on the liability end of things, I am leaning towards getting my own liability insurance but wanted some perspectives from other attorneys on this board or from seasoned track participants and organizers (Jon B, Skip?) about this issue.

Thanks for your help on this.

/Rich

PS: adminstrators feel free to move this topic to whatever forum seems best suited for it.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you already know, there have been cases where the waiver has not provided protection from other parties, with reagrds to incidents on the track. In addition, it is probably best to have all valuable assets placed in a completely different environment. I am sure you know what I mean.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
being an MD, half of a typical work day for me revolves around potential legal issues. I don't own anything. my wonderful wife owns my viper. as far as track insurance goes, I can't be bothered at this point in life. if something happens I'll deal with it then.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lawsuits and insurance costs have taken a lot of fun out of life. Nearly half of track rental fees go towards insurance. It's nothing short of extortion. Suing somebody for something a participant agreed to - it is ridiculous and there appears to be only one way to reduce it.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have used Anthony and Company for both track collision and liability ins. The 1500 for the liability is worth it to me. If something happens and someone comes after me I would rather have the policy there to take the hit. Steve is offering the insurance for the frirst time this year and the rates look good.

Dave

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You can also try K&K Insurance.
Suggest at least a $10,000,000.00 liability policy, noting your current umbrella carrier may take a dim view of ''racing'' (as they like to characterize HPDE events).

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
being an MD, half of a typical work day for me revolves around potential legal issues. I don't own anything. my wonderful wife owns my viper. as far as track insurance goes, I can't be bothered at this point in life. if something happens I'll deal with it then.

LOL very true for myself as well being a dentist in my own building in private practice. I rent the building from my wife and all of the equipment. Shes the head of the corporation and I just have the license. Funny thing is shes the only nurse in Erie that owns her own dental practice. Atleast she hasnt fired me yet.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments thus far. I copied this post to John Draneas, an Oregon attorney who writes a regular column in Sports Car Market magazine on various legal issues associated with our hobby. I thought you might find his response interesting:

"John --

Thanks for your feedback. You can use my e-mail as the basis for an article. Let me know if and when the article is coming out so I can get a copy. Should be an interesting read. I will share your response on the VCA website as well.

/Rich

-----Original Message-----
To: rcl4668********
Sent: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:26 am
Subject: RE: Track Liability Insurance

Rich,

You're doing very well here.

Inquiry about their insurance status is smart. The first company to offer this type of coverage was out of Canada, and the criticism was that they didn't really have any insurance at all. I'm not sure how they sold insurance when they didn't have any, but they aren't around any more, and20a competitor took credit for that.

There is a lot of angst about releases, but I have not seen a reported case where a release did not work in a racetrack situation. Gershon is interesting, and I believe goes against the weight of authority. It seems to be an intermediate appellate court, so there may be more law there some day.

Still, I have heard a lot lately about lawsuits in spite of releases - Jon Brobst told me about the one pending where the track instructor is suing the student for not following instructions and crashing. And, we all know about the Carrera GT crash lawsuit. Even though there was a clear release, it settled with the track and organizers paying real money.

These days, most insurance companies are writing track incidents out of their policies, both in the liability and comprehensive sections. As you know, a release may protect you from liability at the end of the lawsuit, but it won't necessarily prevent the lawsuit. So a separate laibility policy might make sense, even if just for the defense costs.

I think it would be wise to write another Sports Car Market column about the matter, and incorporate the insurance availability. Can I use your letter as a stating point? Also, how about letting me know what you learn, and also giving me the contact info for the appropriate insurance people so I can call them and quote them?"

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember that the family (parents) of Greg Moore sued various parties including the California Speedway for negligence after his fatal crash there in an Indy Car. I never did hear the result of the action. I also know that Mark Donahue's family won a lawsuit against Goodyear after a tire blew causing his fatal crash. Even family of professional drivers have attempted to beat releases.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of this reminds me of why I walked out of law school 25 years ago and never returned. I realized that the other students in my class would be my peers and most were a**holes who I would have to work with. Best decision I ever made. But in saying this, some of my best friends are lawyers and are class acts. Unfortunately, most are not.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of this reminds me of why I walked out of law school 25 years ago and never returned. I realized that the other students in my class would be my peers and most were a**holes who I would have to work with. Best decision I ever made. But in saying this, some of my best friends are lawyers and are class acts. Unfortunately, most are not.

:lmao: :2tu: