Question for Steve Ferguson or other Comp. Coupe gurus

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently the word is that Chrysler is making the Comp. Coupe mainly as a "club racer" type car. It seems that if they make enough of them, they couldn't *all* go towards racing in VRL.

What is the honest-to-god real chance that an application would be approved that would involve using the car *primarily* as a drag racer (racing in close to stock form), and the car would also be used for the occasional club races at local road courses (not in professional racing, just the events we do with the Cobra club, Corvette Club), and if the car would be used for product development for guys who *are* racing them in VRL, etc.

I know it's been said that drag racing and club racing is an accepted purpose for the car, but it seems like most folks want to run VRL or Speedvision series (oops, I mean speed channel). Are they serious when they say drag racing is an accepted purpose for these cars? I'd love to drag race with one, with the goal being to see how far I can push the envelope to have a car that can go from the drag strip to the road course and be competitive in both.

Should I bother trying to apply, or am I wasting my time?

When would the anticipated delivery of the series 2 cars be? What is the expected price? Will there be a series 3?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike and all,

There is a great chance that anyone who wants to buy a CC, and has Proof it is for ANY form of racing, that they will be able to get one at some point.

Obviously, it was a great move to get as many in one group as possible, so they can create even more excitement around the project, and hopefully generate even more CC sales!

Bottom line, produce a license, order the car, list the different venues that you intend to compete in, and there is a good chance that you will get one of these track beasts!

I know I have started a fund to get mine. And my intention would be to run in the VRL when in my area, but also at local VCA functions and other club functions. I am buying the car to further my enjoyment of racing, and to do it with the brand I love. Plus now my Street Viper can remain what it was intended to be, the greatest street car ever!

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

The way you put it is *exactly* how I would want to use the car. I goto the drag strip twice a week for pretty much the entire season. I flirted with the idea of competing in the regional point series last year (which tours the local IHRA tracks during the drag racing season), but I decided not to because I didn't want to turn my car into a racecar, and I would rather have a purpose built car.

In addition to that, I'd love to take it to local events, run it on the roadcourse with the other clubs in non-series events (but still timed, competitive events) with the Cobra Club, Porsche Club, etc.

I have a feeling DC wants these cars to go to the high-profile racers first - guys like Archer, which is fine. So will there be more than 2 runs of these cars? Will they make enough to satisfy demand or is this going to be a very limited edition car that is a one-time opportunity? I'd love to place my application over the summer, so I can save $$'s and I guess build a new garage
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made the tooling to be able to produce a sufficient number of these, so put your name in and get that garage expanded. The only key point is that you have a racing license, that will REALLY help you get serious consideration. Let me know when you order your, maybe we will have the same run? BTW, be careful calling someone such as me a "guru"? I have no qualifications to fall into any automotive guru classification. If it has 4 wheels is about the only question I am qualified to answer.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I invite you to go to any NHRA event and hear Kenny Bernstein(sp?) 'fine tune' his Top Fueler. I always had the impression that a car that could do quarter mile could always be dual purposed for road course racing. I was one of the few who stood behind Kenny B's Top Fueley when he decided to open it up! It was a moment that I'll never forget. It was that exact moment when the line was drawn in the sand making it quite clear that there IS a Difference! It felt like a sledgehammer to the midsection! Of course my friend who went with me to the event failed to tell me to cover my ears. (Whatta ****!) But if asked again, I'd go back to any NHRA event just for the good times of all types of racers.

Jay K.

ps. Is bracket racing really Dragracing or is it clock racing??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte