Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggg
Tom,

I trust your opinion, and would appreciate some input.

I went on a big fluid change binge today, diff, power steering, engine oil and trans.

When I dropped the plug out of the trans, what came out appeared to be gear oil. I had bought 3L of Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid to put in. Now that it's had gear oil in it, can I go back to the recomended fluid or should I go with some type of synth gear oil?

Thanks for your time!

Gggg

Hi Gggg
Gear oil isn't just gear oil. For instance API GL-4 is for synchronized transmissions and some differentials, and API GL-5 is for non-synchro transmissions and some differentials. The GL-5 chemistry is much more aggressive and will possibly harm the face of the synchros that act as little clutches to get things to come to the same speed.

If you wanted to use gear oil, must find API GL-4, and then to be like the OEM fluid, a low viscosity such as 75W-85. The Dodge dealer will have this (big $$)

But anyway, yes, use the Mobil oil. You'll have 95% new Mobil and 5% old stuff. The only time mixing is a real issue is when you are in the middle, say 50-50, because many additives only work at 40% effectiveness when they are at 50% of the amount needed. With two different additives at 50% each, you would only have 80% of the performance needed, if the additives even worked together.

So you are safe and doing the right thing.

-Tom

Thanks, Tom.

I just want to clarify. For certain it was gear oil that came out, I don't know specificaly what grade/weight it was. I bought the M1 syth AUTO trans fluid, which meets&excedes the specified Dexron III requirement (1997 GTS, just fyi) It's not too late (still up on jack stands with the belly pan off) to put something else in there if you think it's a better idea.
There were no problems with the trans, other than it shifted stiffly when cold (due to the higher visc. gear oil, I assume).
I'll go with the M1 for now, I guess(?).

Thanks again!

Gggg

Yes, M1 ATF. If you remember, give me some comments after you use it for a while. You will be comparing the gear oil vs. ATF and I would like your impression. Thanks.

-Tom

Hi, Tom.
Been awhile now with the synthetic ATF, maybe 1500kms. I haven't noticed any real big differences. Seems to work fine, no excessive gear noise or nuetral "rattle" (was worried about that). Shifts smooth, maybe a bit easier into gear, hard to say, not dramaticaly different though. Seems I used to miss the odd 2-3, I haven't done that this year at all now that I think of it.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Gggg

Thank you for remembering, I appreciate the input. Smoother shifting makes sense, so all seems good.

Enjoy the car, more kms=more smiles.

-Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4