Question on how to flush coolant on a 96 GTS

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted this on the other sites but I want to get as many opinions since my husband is not familiar with Vipers at all.

I want to flush the coolant before winter and want to know if he needs a service manual and how hard is it to do?

Also a lot a hot rod's around here run Evan's coolant in their cars and say it is the best. Any one use this in their Viper?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a gen 1 guy, not too familiar with the gen 2, but it's all the same ... dump. fill, get the air out.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't pull the plug on the radiator. You will be making an expensive mistake. Pull the bottom radiator hose, drain into bucket. Refill coolant and burp if necessary. I was able to do mine without having to burp it.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't pull the plug on the radiator. You will be making an expensive mistake. Pull the bottom radiator hose, drain into bucket. Refill coolant and burp if necessary. I was able to do mine without having to burp it.

I've pulled my plug twice. It's made of copper, at least on mine, so it never seized to the radiator. I put it back on with teflon PTFE paste. I guess if yours doesn't budge, don't force it and use the bottom hose only. Now what I could never get out on my RT/10 were the engine block plugs. I gave up on those when one of the heads started to strip and I even bought the correct square tool from Snap On. Be careful with those block plugs, I don't know if they are galvanized steel, and if they are and they're seized that bad, they could strip the engine block threads. If they are aluminum, then they may be too soft to break free without distorting the square hole sometimes. Do Not try to remove the block plugs without the correct adapter for your 3/8" socket wrench. I used air pressure to force out as much coolant as I could out of the block. I still filled about 14 quarts of coolant so I think I got most of it out when I did mine last month.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, that is good to know! Will most of the old come out this way? Is there another coolant bottle behind the front fascia that needs attention?

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a fair amount of coolant in the block that will not be drained without pulling the block plugs. You can do multiple drain/fill/burb sessions to try and get it all flushed if you don't want to pull the plugs. I pulled the plugs and still did multiple drain/fill/burp sessions with distilled water to make sure I had all of the old nasty stuff out.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a fair amount of coolant in the block that will not be drained without pulling the block plugs. You can do multiple drain/fill/burb sessions to try and get it all flushed if you don't want to pull the plugs. I pulled the plugs and still did multiple drain/fill/burp sessions with distilled water to make sure I had all of the old nasty stuff out.

1)Are the drain plugs difficult to remove?

2)Can you use an Airlift to remove air easily from system like some corvette guys use?

3) Anyone on here use Evan's coolant in their Viper?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. you mean the plugs in the block? not sure the size, but I remember grinding down a 3/8" (?)extension to fit.
2. not heard of that. best to follow burping instruction and/or the steps in manual (buy one-they're helpful)
3. I think most use factory green stuff or dexcool.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... with distilled water.....

i am planning a multiple drain/fill/burp procedure soon

serious question: so the beginning of the process begins with a buggy full of gallon jugs of distilled water? do you remember how many gallons your multiple drain/fill/burp process took?

i was going to hose water the flush and final fill with distilled,but all distilled sounds better

tia

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There must have been some real idiots working on their cars over time to come up with all these burping horror stories and complicated procedures on filling the system. Pulling the block drains is simple. KD Tools makes the correct tool or make your own. If you drain the block you can flush through the fender tank poor man's flush but it works. The Gen 2 is self purging of air to a degree if the overflow bottle in the fascia is maintained and the line to it is secured to the surge tank properly. Just overfill the overflow tank at first and keep an eye on it after each drive cool down. The air in the system will be replaced with that coolant. Also be sure the coolant matches your car color so TFox use grape Kool-Aid in the radiator.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i trust you dave, but i still have block plug removal phobia :omg:

speaking of Kool-Aid, anyone use slices (also called chips) to make their koolickles instead of whole or spears :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't find them in KD's catalog so either they discontinued them or I've killed too many crain bells lately, but here's what they are from SK.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/skt41450.html

I'm assuming since the next size is 3/8" and that's what people grind down to make the homemade tool that 5/16 is the ticket. If I remember I'll look on my set tonight and see if I can figure out which one I used. The factory plugs are put in with some type of dope and will break free without doing any harm. You just have to act like a man and use the right tools. Oh, and wear your Barney Burple Mechanix Gloves.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you would read the thread from post #5 above...:rolleyes:...it's a 5/16 pipe plug socket...they came out smooth as silk...no problem.

Sybil TF...open up a Google search window and enter:

site:forums.viperclub.org Evans coolant

It will give you all the threads on this website about Evans coolant.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you would read the thread from post #5 above...:rolleyes:...it's a 5/16 pipe plug socket...they came out smooth as silk...no problem.

Sybil TF...open up a Google search window and enter:

site:forums.viperclub.org Evans coolant

It will give you all the threads on this website about Evans coolant.

Thanks!!

Very funny Dave!! Ha ha!!

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1)Are the drain plugs difficult to remove?

2)Can you use an Airlift to remove air easily from system like some corvette guys use?

3) Anyone on here use Evan's coolant in their Viper?

Drain plugs take a little ass to break free, but came out smooth. I did like many others and groud a 3/8" extension to make the tool. Distilled water is cheap... I try to keep several gallons just for projects. If you're in a pinch, filtered (think Brita) works well for the flush. Swapped to DexCool based on past experience and forum feedback.

Never ran the Evans coolant. Did run all of Evans' hardware on my Cobra and helped to develop their relocated thermostat housing and supporting pieces. Good company and fun to work with. Just never had a reason to switch to the $$ coolant when I'm always tinkering with something on the car and prefer to just flush with fresh on a more than regular basis.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow this man's advice. Been there myself and it works as described. Be sure to drain the overflow tank too by sucking it out through the hose connected to the radiator cap and refill through the same hose. A MityVac works great here.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic looking up from under the passenger side block. The drain plug is located to the right. There's also one on the driver side. I ground down a 3/8" extension to fit the plug.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• P1010157.jpg
    P1010157.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My radiator drain plug came out easily. I used the Rectorseal 2T from Home Depot (thanks Dave) on the radiator drain plug and the thermostat housing plug and no leaks whatsoever. I swapped from the green Mopar to the red long-life Mopar coolant. Ran distilled water through twice before filling with the Mopar red stuff.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see Tony edited his post. Way to be not hillbilly Tony :2tu:
\

LMAO, I should've known you'd catch that. :D Truth be told, based on how the ground extension came out, it did look Hillbilly but got the job done. :)

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If hillbilly works so be it. I ordered the tool since it was cheap.