Question on new rims for my Gen II...

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS with stock suspension and brake system, and stock 17 inch rims. I would like to get a hold of some 18 or 19 inch rims. Particularly, I've got my eye on some SRT rims, which I believe are 18s

Problem is I can't figure out if I have to modify my Gen II to make them fit or not. Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to fit larger rims on my 97 GTS? Thanks!

Jason
Suffolk, VA

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will bolt right up without any modifications and the SRT rims are 18" in the front and 19" in the rear.

Last edited:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jay01m,

Sent you a private message. Would like your stock rims if you are considering selling them.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and looking at the same solution.

Will the speedo have to be adjusted with the larger rims/wheels?

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and looking at the same solution.

Will the speedo have to be adjusted with the larger rims/wheels?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to, as the overall diameter of the wheel/tire shouldn't change.

Thanks to all for the info I needed, I swear I searched the forum every way I could to find the answer, but no joy. It's nice to know I can ask a simple question and get the answer without getting flamed. Few car forums are like this, which is why I'm proud to be part of this one.

Cheers, and keep the shiny side up!

Jason

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the 18/19 combo SRT wheels on my 94 RT/10 over the winter. They bolt right on with no mods as stated above. The only thing you should do is have a wheel alignment done so everything meets specs. The rear wheels sit about 1 inch or so higher than your stock 17s. The look is much better IMO and fills up the wheel wells better. One recommentation I can make, is go for the NON run flat tires and get the PS2's. These tires will ride much better than the old version.

I added a few pics for a visual reference. I'm sure there are a few with these wheels on their GTS's as well.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Mics 6-16-08 053 [].JPG
    Mics 6-16-08 053 [].JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Mics 6-16-08 045 [].JPG
    Mics 6-16-08 045 [].JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 18

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is as already noted a small difference in the OE tire height and the 19 & 20 inch tire heights. They will affect your speedo cal. It will read low. DC Performance sells calibration units but I think they are to be specified by gearing, not tire diameter. So you would have to find a gear ratio change that is the equivalent to your tire change for that cal unit to be accurate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery