Question regarding tires

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a chance to get a set of original tires that were on a Gen 1 with only 500 miles on them.
I have heard horror stories about using "old" tires.
Just wondering what you all think...I dont track this car much and can handle it if the only downside is that they are a little harder. I just dont want them to fly apart at speed and damage my snake...or me for that matter...
opinions please.....

Cheers,

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When 18" wheels came out, folks were selling 17" wheels and good tires pretty cheap. I bought lots, since I went through rears every year and fronts about 1.5 years. I have a 3.5 year stock of XGT-Zs left and have seen no reason to not use them. The only downside is that they are very slippery when cold and take many miles to warm up. I don't think this is too different from when they were new, though. There are small cracks along the tread grooves, but none have ever gotten "bad." I think I wear them out before anything else happens.

Those old tires were 100 and 140 Treadwear; newer ones are 240? Once the XGT-Zs warm up, I suspect they aren't too different than the new Pilots... Yes, I have heard the Michelin guys say 4 years or 6 years.

I don't track them, though. Kuhmos are so much better.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After ******** tailwagging death defying vertical drop near death experience with "old rubber" don't do it! The car will skate the rear with a cold low traction tire so buyer beware with these.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are just cruising in your RT, then you are probably fine, with 10 year old tires.
If you do any spirited driving, then I would stay away from OLD tires. They just won't stick, and they won't be as safe, as the New Tires.

Just saying 10 year old tires, makes me nervous though! :p

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
C'mon Casey especially with your S/C (ooh the dreaded CAPS) you know you would not trust that old rubber!
Old rubber (pun intended) is not reliable or safe and if you want to save a few bucks on tires just keep in mind what it will cost you when you stack it up!

OP
OP
S

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just saying 10 year old tires, makes me nervous though! :p

Ya that kinda bugs me too, but I wonder how much different the "old" tires really are, is it just a "feel" thing...I can overcome that I think...maybe the "edge" is a little quicker to get to....
I also wonder if the Michelin guys have a stake in telling us to change our tires every 4-6 years...
I do some spirited driving on the twisty bits in Southern Cal...like Ortega, or Angeles Crest...so I dont think I would want to fly off a cliff or anything...
But getting a full set for the about the price of 1 "new" tire looks pretty good....
Please chime in with your thoughts.......
Cheers,

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you exactly what the difference is:

1) Car breaks loose at 50MPH; you're instantly '180'd'.
2) Car breaks loose at 70MPH; you can drive it out.

Fresh rubber (and the newer compounds) makes all the difference in the world. As the rubber ages, it turns 'plasticky' and they become far too hard to gather grip. If you heat up sufficiently old tires, they will start to seep (at least that's what I call it) -- essentially, the tire begins to perspire oils and you're screwed at that point. May as well be driving on wood.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still have the stock tires on my 95. I am trying to "use" them up quickly. I think the car still handles pretty good over all. I have no interest exploring the edge though.

Biggest thing I found with old tires in the past has been ride quality. Old tires tend to have very stiff sidewalls that bang the car around a lot. That is the main reason that I want new tires.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original tires (MXX3), 1996 GTS, 16K miles. Still look perfect and work fine for me, just have to know the diminished limits (i.e. cold traction) and remember to drive within them.

No doubt new is better though....

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider this logic (veiled reason to use old tires)

Rubber performance deteriorates via oxidation and vulcanization. If you've seen an old rubber band that looks like it has lots of cracks, it has oxidized, which will make it harder and brittle, and it will break. If you've seen a pliable rubber turn hard, then it has been gone through many heat cycles and the cross-linking via vulcanization has made it a stiffer compound.

Unless you believe that tires are pourous, at worst, only the surface can oxidize (the layer exposed to the atmosphere.)

However, each time a tire is used, it heats up and further hardens. Racers use this when they switch from stickers to scuffs (once-used, slightly hardened tires.)

Logically then, the performance of a tire could be projected not by it's calendar age, but by the number of heat cycles. A 10-year old tire with low miles would likely have very few heat cycles. Also, the original XGT-Z had a treadwear rating of 100 (rear) and 140 (front) so it started out softer than newer Michelins (220? )

Lastly, are we agreeing that the construction of the tire is safe and we're only discussing the merits of tread compound? The belts and cords are buried deep inside and are made of things that don't deteriorate.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set I keep for show only. If you drive your car like I drive my wife's Mini-Van you won't have a problem. Any kind of spirited driving on damp roads will put you in a ditch.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a presentation by a Michelin rep at our last VCA Spring Brunch and he said that most tires over 6 years old are unsafe. Tom outlined most of the reasons in the post above. It's not just that they are harder and won't stick as well, they are brittle and can the plys can fly apart. I wouldn't drive over 30 mph with 10 year old tires! Michelin won't warranty them. :p

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Even if they were free - I'd turn them down! My $35K Viper and more importantly my life are worth a lot more than saving a few bucks on tires.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are dumpster junk and can cause you to total your car before you know what happened. DO NOT mount old tires on your Viper. New pilots are bad enough, but rock hard 10 year old tires? You might as well start parting your car out now.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
If you drive a viper you will.........

get on it every now and then (most a lot more of the now)

you will throw out the rear................

get new, huge difference on my 95 ........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96