Question

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here use a Carcoon (either the indoor or outdoor model)? Or, has anyone used one in the past?

I have a few questions for you if you currently use one or have in the past...

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the hail storm this past weekend here in Dallas, I was wondering if the Carcoon (www.carcoon.com) would stand up to moderate to severe hail (their outdoor version) for my daily drivers that must sit in the driveway...

It's conceivable that they would at least slow the hail enough to prevent damage to your car given the fact that they're inflated but I'm unsure of how thick the material is. Have a question into their sales guys but haven't heard back yet.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus,

Great point..both my cars got extensive damage and I am actively looking for a protective cover. If anybody out there has some information please pass it along...hail protection here in Texas is very,very important.
Thanks in advance.

CStegall

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask those pansies in the Detroit area (Motor City Mad Man and GenXGTS) which bubble they use :)

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch Clark!

We have to wait until next week to see the adjuster but in just running them around town to various places, we're looking at $1500 for the Lightning and over $5K for the 325 (ouch).

Lucky for me, the L employs a lot of fiberlass (zero damage) - the hood on the other hand, is (rather, was) aluminium. :( Ah well - I'd been eyeing an aftermarket hood for the L - now I have no excuse. ;)

How bad was your damage? I'll let ya know as soon as I hear anything on the carcoon - hell, I might just buy one and test it out with icecubes or something. :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask those pansies in the Detroit area (Motor City Mad Man and GenXGTS) which bubble they use :)

Ouch!

This "pansy" uses a garage. That new fangled thing that stops the rain (and hail) from reaching our precious babies.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus,

Great point..both my cars got extensive damage and I am actively looking for a protective cover. If anybody out there has some information please pass it along...hail protection here in Texas is very,very important.
Thanks in advance.

CStegall

Go talk to habib and buy a couple rugs. I'm sure that would help. :laugh:

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offended!! GENXGTS is Canadian! A field of pansies considering the exchange rate! Ensure he is properly classified in the future.

;)

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Go talk to habib and buy a couple rugs. I'm sure that would help. :laugh:

[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh...my favorite Canadian Automotive Marketing Student chimes in with his answer to our dilemna. Guess that is an example of the "Marketing" part of the Automotive Marketing Student...glad you are putting your education to use :D

CStegall

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus,

Just got the damage report on the two cars(no Vipers involved)and it wasn't as bad as first thought...a couple of grand on each...guess it could have been worse. I have decide that we need to find something that gives us protection(besides a Habib rug)...let me know how the inflatable cover works. There doesn't seem to be much out there.

CStegall

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a Carcoon on my Cobra, but I use the indoor one since it is garaged. It's excellent quality, I recommend it over the made in China imitations.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clark - will do. I'm going to order one for the wifes car and test it out. I hope our damage isn't too bad (and that the adjuster doesn't screw us...)

inVision - how resistent to impact is the bubble? I know the outdoor version is supposed to be a little more stout...do you think it would stand up to marble or golf ball size hail (stand up as in - prevent or mostly eliminatate contact with the car...not necesarily remain intact itself!)

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They Use Carcoons on DeLoreans, I figure it must be good, but they use air to like pressurize it, so I'd say it probably would not stand up to it. but hey i haven't used one or got one for my DMC.

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to compare the two, the indoor one is resistant enough for me, like if I bump it with the lawnmower it isn't gonna pop! But looking at the brochure they make the outdoor one look like it's pretty extreme.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to compare the two, the indoor one is resistant enough for me, like if I bump it with the lawnmower it isn't gonna pop! But looking at the brochure they make the outdoor one look like it's pretty extreme.

Cool...

Clark, I'm gonna order one and give it a go. I'll post some ultra scientific test results when I'm done. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456