Questions for Nitrous and Propane Users

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed my nitrous and propane BTR kit, this kit was purchased from a local Viper owner who had it on his GTS for a couple of years, and before everyone tells me to talk to Tom Welch I've tried calling and emailing with no response, so I'll leave it at that.

My car is a 1999 GTS with Roe Blower, 8#, SVS headers, 3" Borla, no cats, Roe **** injection. We are maxing out my fuel pump and injectors at 602RWHP and 658RWTQ, hence the reason for doing the propane / nitrous.

I recieved one of BTR's older kits with an elaborate harness and Holley Viper fuel enrichment box deigned for a 92-95 GenI dry system from Holley, I was told by the previous owner that this box was removed as they could never get it to work correct, he let me know the system was changed over to a regular micro switch activation, however the box was still in the harness. Simply put I removed this harness and made my own, the system is hooked up just like any NOS wet kit now, and it triggers off of a micro switch, the only difference is I have a line running from my propane tank to the fuel solenoid instead of pulling fuel from the fuel system.

A few questions:

What size jets are some of you running that are using nitrous / propane only? I'm not using BTR's additional gasoline injection, I've read most are using a 52 nitrous and a 40 fuel, but I've also read a 52 nitrous and a 30 fuel so there is quite a big difference on the propane side.

What pressure do you keep your propane bottles at? MIN and MAX? right now my pressure is at 132PSI on a partially used bottle.

Does anyone regulate their propane pressure? I was thinking about getting a regualtor and keeping it at 90psi or so, how about a heater does anyone use a heater on the propane bottle to keep the pressure high?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are on the eve of destruction - the stated jets are at a bottle pressure of 155 psi. If you are dialed in at 155 psi and the bottle drops to 135 you will lean out approximately 1.5 points.

Make sure you start rich and work your way up on a dyno or with an in-the-car a/f logger. I would personally start way down on the nitrous jet sizes and work your way up.

The kit suggests 50/26, but, on my Gen 1 that was dangerously lean. I ended up at 49/40, once again, that was a Gen 1. The solenoids and the nozzles will also affect jet size since most of the pressure drop is across those two elements.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jack, I havent run the nitrous yet, I read the bottle pressure should be at 160psi on the propane... I have my Innovate wideband on the way, like you said I'll start small and work up.

Thanks for the reply!

Adam