Questions from a prospective Viper buyer ( Eventually anyway)

Reaction score
Hello my freinds,

I'm sure some of you have seen my post in the SRT section about my north jersey viper sighting. Well while I continue to be a pathetic ass on that subject, it's time for some good serious discussion about things that actually matter. The Dodge Viper!

Now as time is going on I really really need this car. Hell it's essentially my only main goal right now. Now essentially my aim is either a 2000 RT/GTS Black, 2002 RT/GTS Graphite, or an SRT black or blue. However, being that the prices for these little beauties are so high, it will probably take a while to scrap up the dough for one of them. So lately I've been thinking of a "stepping stone."

I've been thinking of maybe a Gen 1 at least to start with being that you can probably find one for about the same price I paid for my 2005 V6 Mustang!($25,000). The only thing is I'm not sure about it and this where you guys may be able to fill me in. My only beef with the car itself really is the interior having little to no style at all. The 400 hp doesn't bother me, I'm not a power freak that needs a new 2008 600 hp :). I'm sure it's fast enough. Hell even the fact that there are no windows doesn't bother me. It will never see rain! However, what I'm looking for in my future Viper my indeed turn me off to a Gen 1. Unlike i'm sure a good portion of you who own these cars I have no intention of racing it. ( Well I may have that urge after going to my first VCA meet :)) I intend to buy the car as my trophie car and use it as a cruising car. ( THE ULTIMATE cruiser.) Now I've heard Gen 1s are like trucks, that they are go carts on wheels, etc etc. What advice/insight would you owners have into the Gen 1? Should I forget about it and just stay fast on to the cars mentioned above?

Anything would be helpful as I've actually never seen/sat in a Gen 1 or an RT/10 of any year.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thing to do is search the forums here and get your information. Gen I cars are not the poor cars that some on here think they are. They are wonderful (and pure) machines. Owning one is a dream.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice to you is to get a Gen II Viper. You can find some for low 30's if you look hard enough. In my OPINION it is worth it, to have a different interior, more HP & TQ, better exterior looks, functioning windows, and better HEAD gaskets (Gen 1's have head gasket problems so if it hasen;t been changed you'll need to)

In the end it is worth spending a little bit more $.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in no means putting down the Gen 1's their beautiful Vipers, but in my opinion the extra benefits the gen II's have fit me alot better! Just take Lauri's Gen 1 for instance that thing is a **** machine!

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
I was thinking that myself. The more I look at them the more I think it is worth spending the extra. It was just an idea of something I could do after the stang is paid off, but although I'd probably be happy enough with it, I'd probably always think it's missing something, extra styling, actual technology,etc. But like I said I want specifics so I guess I'll have to wait until I could go for the cars mentioned above.

Thanks guys

5-10 years is gonna be a long grueling wait! :).......:(

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, it mostly depends what appeals to you. If you're not going to drive the car that much and it's just a "toy" for an occasional Sunday drive, get the car that most appeals to you. Do the added accessories really matter? Maybe...to me, I don't care about the "technology" added in later models, I bought the car strictly for its visual appeal, and the RT/10 was my dream car from the beginning. The GTS is certainly a beautiful car, but my taste is more towards the original. Where I live, with the exception of 3 unbearably hot months, I can drive the car the rest of the year with the top off and don't need windows. We have about 14 rain days a year so I don't have to worry about that. With winter high temperatures averaging about 72 degrees, I love a top-off roadster. If I wanted all the gizmos and fancy junk I would have bought a Vette and some gold chains.

Get what YOU want, everyone here will tell you one is better than the other, and they're all correct...for them. Five years is a long time to wait, about the same amount of time I waited from the day I told my wife I would buy one someday. If you don't want to wait that long, get one you can afford for now, then trade up later. Most people here are on their second or third Viper. One thing to consider though, sometimes the wait makes the actual purchase that much sweeter. I still can't believe I finally have that thing in my garage. Good luck.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah I'm on the fence right now. The thing with Gen 1s from what I've seen and read is if you get one, you need to think of it as sortof a classic car you're getting and not a modern roadster. As it is I have to wait from the Mustang to be paid off and then save for a bit and that is only if I can find one for about $25,000 or so. If I went that route I'd probably get a 95 Black. Either way I'd have to see one as I've never seen a Gen 1 or 2 for that matter close up. Only Gen IIIs. That would really seal yes or no for the Gen 1 with me.

Thanks guys

key

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm looking at Vipers knowing that it will be 3-5 years before I get into one. Right now I own a 2003 Cobra that is paid off. I could sell the Cobra, put $7-10k on top of that money and get into a Gen 1 right now (maybe a Gen 2 if I found a good deal). However, I think it's important to do everything you can to find the EXACT car you want. Don't settle for something because that's what you can currently afford.

You also need to try to think about what the market will look like when you can afford the right car. By the time you're seriously looking to buy you might be able to get into a Gen 3!

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The spread between the prices of Gen I / II / III Vipers isn't as big as with a lot of other cars.

Unless you're attraced to one specific style or color, you should simply figure out what you're willing to spend, and buy the newest car you can find for that money.

Perhaps starting with year and then mileage. You'd likely be able to find some 2004 cars still under warranty that were put in service in latter half of 04', and then you could purchase the extended warranty from Dodge upon acquiring the vehicle and end up with a really great deal on a newer Viper that you don't have to put a dime into to fix if something happens.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy what you can afford. its easy for us to spend your money. my guess at your age, a GEN 1 is closer to what you can afford. i personally like them and even want one. its a different car than the GEN2's though. thats pretty much the reason i like them. they are like a go cart with 400hp. thats kool as hell if ya ask me. ive driven a few and like the raw power/feel of them.

you can and will find one in the mid 20's that wont have that many miles too. just do your homework on the car and get help to look it over. maybe call tator and see if he can run the VIN for ya to give you some guidance on the recalls and work done so far.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah I'm on the fence right now. The thing with Gen 1s from what I've seen and read is if you get one, you need to think of it as sortof a classic car you're getting and not a modern roadster. As it is I have to wait from the Mustang to be paid off and then save for a bit and that is only if I can find one for about $25,000 or so. If I went that route I'd probably get a 95 Black. Either way I'd have to see one as I've never seen a Gen 1 or 2 for that matter close up. Only Gen IIIs. That would really seal yes or no for the Gen 1 with me.
Thanks guys

You are smart to wait and save a bit for a Viper--a GenII BLACK sounds great!! Yeah, you have to SEE the GenI and GenII to appreciate the differences. GenI's have troubles with windows...they simply were not made to accommodate windows, and has caused a great GenI owner here on the site to sell it, due to not being able to really travel with the GenI/window issue. Good luck on finding what YOU want...look around, and I'd take up Plum's suggestion, that if you DO find one, to call the best in the Viper business--the Viper Wizard himself--Chuck Tator--he's a GREAT help to many of us on Viper issues....plus he's a wealth of information...you can even just call to ask your questions/or email him.
We wish you the best of luck, and you WILL have one someday...took us a very long time, much longer than most of the people on these forums...and we never look back!!!:2tu:
~juli~