Questions on use of a carcover

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a California Car Cover, to protect the car while in the garage, especially from my dogs. The question is whether it is ok to put the cover on if the car is not freshly washed? For example, I took the car out the other night, it did not get rained on, but it did get condensation on it when it cooled down at night. I know that the car, although it doesn't show it, has a thin coat of dust & dirt on it. If I put the car cover on without washing it, am I going to be scratching the paint? If so, can you really ever drive the car and then put the cover on without washing it first?

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do is this: After a drive I'll take my California Duster and dust the whole car and if there is any road grime, dirt, bird poop etc. I'll wash them off with a detail spray and put the cover on. I think I am pretty particular about having any fine scratches on my paint and so far following the above routine I can't see any on the car.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think that a lot of it will depend on the material the cover is made of.

I drive my car to work pretty much every day its not raining, and I cover it every day that its not excessively windy with a cover I bought 8 or 9 years ago from North Coast Tarpaulin Works in San Diego (they've evidently changed their name to "Coast Car Covers" at http://www.coastcarcovers.com ). I forget the exact material mine is made of, but its fairly thick, and textured - looks like it could be the "Evolution 4" or "Noah" fabrics - is highly water resistant, and has a flannel-type material on the inside.

My car is black, and thus its fairly easy to see any paint problem, scratch, etc. Even though the cover is an exact fit for my RT/10 (with or without a top on, it fits extremely well), windy days will cause the cover to flap against the car and create rub marks where ever there is a seam in the cover, hence my qualification about not using it when windy. I used a silicon-impregnated duster on the paint quite often (e.g. a California Car Duster or generic similar one), but I've never had a problem with existing dirt/dust scratching the paint. More of a concern is getting the inside of the cover dirty - as, if you do get the inside of the cover dirty/dusty, it will tend to transfer back to the car when the car was otherwise clean.

Condensation-caused dust, etc, has not caused any problem with the cover or paint in my situation, although it may not look that good after you take it off as you'll see mottled spots of dust and such on it, but it won't cause any damage. Maguires Quick Detail will make short work of any condensation-attracted dust, or, in fact, most any other problem short of actual dirt clods stuck to the paint.