Quick Power Steering ?? For you guys

Charlie C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm working on an 06' and I started to hear the power steering pump whine the other day. I checked and the reservoir was empty. Then saw where it had leaked from. The top power steering line was loose. I put a wrench on it to tighten it and the fitting was already tight. But I could still wiggle the line. Any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks guys.

Charlie

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The line is loose in the fitting because it is a swivel coupler. -it's supposed to be like that.
That is one of the few weak links of the gen III.
There is just one little o-ring in the fitting. It leaks after a while. The only way to fix it is a new line and fitting.

I am on my 4th one already.................:crazy2:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...............If you replace it yourself, you are gonna love the end of the line that connects to the fan assembly.
That has become my favorite thing in the world to do.........on a hot day.
:mad:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....also, make sure you get the fittings with the copper colored retainer clip inside.
there were some made with a black colored retainer, they tend to blow apart while you are on the racetrack going full-blast. -don't ask how I know.

It really ***** cleaning the hood pad. :mad:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done that same line on my '05, and I can tell you now that I would not bother replacing the line with the same old part from the factory. There is a nice aftermarket upgrade available from JTS Venom Performance that sells for $220 for two braided lines (PS pump to fan and fan to steering rack, and new pump fitting included).

Just as with the oil cooler hoses, if you put back on the same ol' junk that was on there, it will fail again at some point.

And as Allan noted, getting that PS pump hose connected to the bottom of the fan assembly is a bummer. Probably easier to remove the black fiber belly tray and work from under the car since getting it started from the top is just annoying, for a variety of reasons.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........................:rolleyes: Yes, the true meaning of life comes into question while struggling with the P/S line to fan connection.

:crazy2:

-Even if you scream and yell at the line and fan assembly, it doesn't help things.

OP
OP
C

Charlie C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, just ordered the steel braided PS up-grade kit from JTS Venom Performance. Now the fun begins. The installation....