Racedeck garage flooring

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres my racedeck floor. On a side note, everytime I see an add for racedeck in a magazine my old red GTS is right there. I miss that car.

181Garage_009_sm-med.jpg

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. All very helpfull.
PrimeTime: What kind of tape did you use for the tar paper and did you tape the entire lengeth of the seams?

OP
OP
R

RMviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Thanks all for all of the valuable input.
That’s right east coast and moisture issues. This house has always has moisture issue being on a hill with a steam below me. I am looking at my garage wall sweat right now. I like the feel & the look of the epoxy but it look like tile or race deck.

Reaction score
Question about Race Deck(Costco) moving. My tile stay in place. I drive my SRT10 Ram QC, Jeep Grand, Cherokee and Vipers with no movement noticed. A edge trim strip(tapered, approx. 1.5", strip) is also available.

The lift(Bend_Pak) is mounted on top of the tile same for my aircompressor which is 600 pounds.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PrimeTime: What kind of tape did you use for the tar paper and did you tape the entire lengeth of the seams?

Hope you don't mind if I answer this one.....

If you want to seal the joints, overlap the paper several inches and use a wet patch roofing cement or flashing sealer (available at lumber yards or Lowes/Menards/Home Depot etc.). It will not take much, just a very small bead. It comes in tubes that you use in a caulking gun. It is basically "tar", really gooky stuff, if you get it on your fingers, it will take paint thinner to remove. It looks like this:

You must be registered for see images

One thing, although minor since the tar paper will be below the floor, it will "rub into" the concrete. If you ever take up the racedeck if you move to a new house, you'll have tar to remove from the garage floor.

PrimeTime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the 30lb tar paper the same way you would when drying-in a house or a roof, from the bottom (garage doors) up (back of the garage). I overlapped the first course with the second course about 2-3" inches (there's actually a printed line on the tar paper for this purpose). Then I taped the entire seam with 2" duct tape. You'll only need the tape to hold until the tiles are set on top of the paper, can't go anywhere thereafter. You'll definately need a second set of hands to roll out and tape the paper. I had my 10 year son give me a hand.

The tar paper works the same as the underlayment on a floating floor system like Pergo. If fact, the snap-in tiles are a floating system, they don't get glued or screwed anywhere.

Good luck!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tar paper works the same as the underlayment on a floating floor system like Pergo. If fact, the snap-in tiles are a floating system, they don't get glued or screwed anywhere.

Good luck!

A great idea, you may want to consider using a floating floor system underlayment..... will not rub tar into the concrete.

PrimeTime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great idea, you may want to consider using a floating floor system underlayment..... will not rub tar into the concrete.

[/QUOTE]

Jay, I initially thought of using the indoor underlayment but decided it was to soft for the waffle backed edges of the plastic tiles. In time the weight of the cars would probably cut the padding and render it useless. Additionally, I don't know what would happen to it when it got wet. Inevitably, water will get between the joints of the tiles. Not a problem with the tar paper.

Where's Bob Villa when you need him?

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just got racedeck several months ago and love it! No moving of the tiles since I did the entire floor. Easy to trim to fit and I did the entire 2-car garage in one day (alone). Racedeck was great - they even threw in the necessary trim pieces that are seen at the garage door entrance. I hear they give VCA members 10% off.......wish I would have known that then!

Yeah, they may need regular cleaning, but any bright or colored surface is going to show the dirt. I was surprised at how easy sweeping and damp-mopping was on the 'diamond-plate' pattern.

OP
OP
R

RMviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Racedeck garage flooring

The Race deck looks great. In the end I went with the tile. I looked at all of that snow melting off the wifes car and chicken out on the race deck thinking the water and salt would build up under the decking. I would post a pic but have not figured out how to yet. Thanks for everyone's input very good info

Thanks all. Great Club: 7 years later I finnally start reading this stuff.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JeffM - is the light color tile silver or white? I just got my samples in today including a new brown that might go well with their beige for us "earth tone" types here in Calif.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

320garage-under-construction_202-med.jpg

Ill Chime in here...That's my garage ^^^
I installed my race deck about 3 months ago and really like how it looks....installed very easy...
It is a pain to clean the white tiles...
If you are going with the Black and White theme...the girl at Race Deck suggested using silver instead of white because its easier to clean....probably a good idea.
Cheers,

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ihave white tiles as well. Use the new "Magic eraser" by Mr. Clean. Fantastic on the white tiles and as easy as using a sponge. Great stuff (so I'm sure they'll takeit off the market like everything else I've liked :p

Reaction score

I have the yellow (car color) and alloy (silver)in a checkerboard pattern as well.
Yes, the alloy is real easy to clean, the yellow is tougher. I've have it down for 7-months, still loving it.

Race Deck was a pleasure to deal with, great vendor, highly recommend.

JeffM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris...My tiles are black and alloy. I like the alloy the best. The black shows dirt real fast. The floor looks great when its clean though.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JeffM - never thought the black would be a problem to keep clean but that's why after 4 black cars I'll never own one again. Thinking of Graphite and Alloy. I'll request an Alloy sample tomorrow. I put the two samples together and tried them out on my epoxy coated concrete floor. They click a lot when walking on them so I put some 40# roofing paper underneath and it took away the clicking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4