Radar help

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving to Atlanta from Chattanooga last week. I had my radar on and I passed through two obvious speed traps with no reaction from my detector. In one speed trap, there were two troopers sitting in the median pointing radar in both directions at the same time. It should have gone crazy. I know they were on because I was looking right down the barrel of one as I passed it.

My detector is about 5 years old. It is a $50 whistler (yeah, cheap, I know...). Is it out of date? Do they change the bands often? What would you recommend? If I get a new one, how do I know if it will be up to date?

If any of you know of a thread that might help, I would really appreciate it.

Greg

Last edited:

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too say get a V1. It's probable they were there as a deterent, and not running active radar. Does your Whisler have laser detection? If not, that may be your answer.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just cause they are there doesnt mean its ON. but my guess is its shot,. my 5 year old V1 needed to be fixed too.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 problem solved..Once you get used to having it, can give you a sense of security and you will drive faster....Al

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your detector is over a year old, it is out of date. You need to either get a new one or if you have a V1, get it updated. Your 5 yr old cobra is junk. They weren't the greatest when they came out, but now you're just asking for a ticket if speeding.

D

DAMN YANKEE

1. Cops don't trigger until they target. Not targeted, no trigger, no alarm.
2. V1 is a great unit, one of many, few as expensive. Its upgradable, thats good. The best thing about a V1 is their marketing.
3. See the cop....too late...
4. Laser used....too late.....the hit pattern is the size of a pin head. Laser detectors are just about useless.
5. Cop that knows how to use his gun.....too late...
6. If your one of many and your in a Viper...your the guy/gal getting the ticket.

Best bets:

1. Always (as in ever damn time) stay to the farthest right hand lane you can.
2. Tuck in and behind at all times.
3. If you are lucky enough to get a smattering of someone elses radar you might get a sound off it time to slow down.
4. You will rarely get a laser smatter. A laser detector is great to know that you will be slowing down soon to pick up your ticket.
5. Do not run a front plate.
6. Every braking light you see ahead of you in the left hand lane of any highway is somebody realizing there is a cop. Its better than a detector.
7. 0-78 racing almost anywhere that is reasonably safe is a low ticket risk.
8. 80+ racing for big distances is a high ticket risk.
9. Racing the same area twice is just plain nuts. Drive the run SLOWLY before you launch.
10. Lasers are rarely used in the rain.
11. Look for the center isle cop crossings. Get a sense of the standard distances between them on a modern highway. First 50% past them is much, much safer than the last 50%.
12. Let the idiots go right by you.
13. Let the obvious uncompetitive cars go right by you.
14. Race the right rigs when you are ready, on your terms.
15. Dont Sh*x in your own nest....go very slow and quietly in your own neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a new V1
:2tu: I have one in each vehicle. The first one I purchased about 7 years ago and the second one about 2 years ago. The only difference I believe is the size (smaller now) and the new "POP" detection is better. Love the Valentine. Plus you can send the old unit in for an upgrade when things change. I was quoted on the old one $100 for the upgrade but when I talked with Micheal Valentine himself he said that I should save the $100 because it really was not economical to upgrade for just the "POP". He said wait for more changes.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive quickly and smoothly. Minimal lane change and signal use. Lazer is a joke. Cops assume a stance and you can see them as well as they see you. You can get burned by instant on radar so light up the brakes before the lock on. Got nailed at 17 over instant on durning a brake and tire burning slow down. V1 went off at WAY over the limit but only was locked at 17 over. Street racing?? is for morons and azzholes. Wanna race?? Take it to a drag strip or road course to find out if you are really any good or just another ******. GTS Bruce

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Cops don't trigger until they target. Not targeted, no trigger, no alarm.
2. V1 is a great unit, one of many, few as expensive. Its upgradable, thats good. The best thing about a V1 is their marketing.
3. See the cop....too late...
4. Laser used....too late.....the hit pattern is the size of a pin head. Laser detectors are just about useless.
5. Cop that knows how to use his gun.....too late...
6. If your one of many and your in a Viper...your the guy/gal getting the ticket.

Best bets:

1. Always (as in ever damn time) stay to the farthest right hand lane you can.
2. Tuck in and behind at all times.
3. If you are lucky enough to get a smattering of someone elses radar you might get a sound off it time to slow down.
4. You will rarely get a laser smatter. A laser detector is great to know that you will be slowing down soon to pick up your ticket.
5. Do not run a front plate.
6. Every braking light you see ahead of you in the left hand lane of any highway is somebody realizing there is a cop. Its better than a detector.
7. 0-78 racing almost anywhere that is reasonably safe is a low ticket risk.
8. 80+ racing for big distances is a high ticket risk.
9. Racing the same area twice is just plain nuts. Drive the run SLOWLY before you launch.
10. Lasers are rarely used in the rain.
11. Look for the center isle cop crossings. Get a sense of the standard distances between them on a modern highway. First 50% past them is much, much safer than the last 50%.
12. Let the idiots go right by you.
13. Let the obvious uncompetitive cars go right by you.
14. Race the right rigs when you are ready, on your terms.
15. Dont Sh*x in your own nest....go very slow and quietly in your own neighborhood.

Other than they do not look good, why should you not run a front plate? Is that a good (metal) spot for them to get a better detection? :confused:

D

DAMN YANKEE

Bruce, that would be me...all three. The *****, the Azzhole and, always the ******. I am also the idiot that voted for Bush...twice...
Wanna race?

No front plate as that is the laser target of choice.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a new ****** SRX last year. Built into the car and can't be seen unless you look on top of the visor. Hidden sensors (3) inside the grille, rear sensor bolted at top of license plate. Audio and video (LED) alarms and a mute button. Laser scramblers front and back. 65 safety messages (Ambulance, Fire Truck, road closed/construction, etc.). Worth the $800 ($12-1500 installed) just for the road costruction warnings (no radar signal unless actual construction site, tired of slowing for 'fake' construction sites all the time). I didn't buy a V1 because many states and Alberta give tickets for radar detectors, California doesn't allow anything to be stuck to the windshield.

So far NO Viper tickets in 19,000mi. of driving and No false alarms. I figure the SRX has saved me about 8 speeding tickets so far. Threw my Bell in the garbage because I continuously got false 'laser' alarms.

I got an email from an Oregon VCA mem. that told me that the new 'Stealth' radar is nearly non-detectable except for new expensive detectors. Planning to test the new radar guns with my SRX this summer.

Ted

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sent my V1 off for repair. It is about 7-8 years old. Do you guys think I should spend the money and get it upgraded or just fixed?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've been using the passport 9500i in my cars.... has gps to store previous speedtrap locations and eliminate false alarms...picks laser up good as well... just another option....i have the mirror mount in the viper

h2.JPG

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, that would be me...all three. The *****, the Azzhole and, always the ******. I am also the idiot that voted for Bush...twice...
Wanna race?

No front plate as that is the laser target of choice.

Does the laser not work so well on the Viper shell? Just curious... Or is it that the license plate just gives a nice flat rectangluar target that is easy to spot and hit, while the rest of the car is too rounded?
:confused: