Radiator Fan died Yesterday

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our 01 decided to add to the list of repairs in 5 months; this time the fan on the Radiator stopped working.
I have determined it is not a fuse but have to look at the wiring or the motor itself.
The Previous Owner added a Ron Davis Radiator so is there an option to a higher CFM fan over stock or just stay with stock?
thanks
Ray

Reaction score
Mine died awhile back. Check the connector to the fan motor itself. Mine was burnt and everything else was OK. If burnt, eliminate the connector by directly splicing the leads. I got this tip from DC Performance and it totally solved my problem.

Good luck

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuse is right next to your brake booster, and the relays are in front of that. Two of the three relays in the box are for the fan. Both need to be good for proper operation. You can test them by plugging them into your starter relay which is the 3rd relay in the box.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuse is right next to your brake booster, and the relays are in front of that. Two of the three relays in the box are for the fan. Both need to be good for proper operation. You can test them by plugging them into your starter relay which is the 3rd relay in the box.
THIS :2tu:

My fan stopped working while out and about in the car, I noticed the car getting hotter and hotter, I lifted the hood and noticed the Fan was not running! On my 2000 GTS there are 3 Relays (all of the same type), just in front of the Battery positive terminal under the hood, swap them over and see if the fan comes on :) I went to my local parts accessory shop and picked up another relay for $6.00 Job done :2tu:

I think there are 4 relays on your 01 :) When you remove the plastic cover turn it upside down and there should be a sticker inside enabling you to identify the problem relay :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just played musical Relays and no luck.
Even though the fuse/Relay cover does not show the fan for any other the relays. The 2 mention above are High Beam and Low Beam Headlights. In fact the 3rd does not say starter either.
I will have to check the wiring this weekend.
Ray

OP
OP
A

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More diagnostic results with no resolve of the issue.
Unplugged the fan motor from the harness.
Attached 12v+ from the battery terminal and the fan spins up.
Tested the 2nd lead and the fan spins up.

Tested the wire harness plug side and found the following.
The main wire that I believe to be the ground did give tone when touching chassis ground and also when touching the + battery terminal.
The other two wires gave nothing for shorting to chassis ground.
Turning on the engine with AC on I still 0 voltage across either of the 2 wires using a voltmeter.
I going to go get 2 new relays and just try that.

Any suggestions?

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a ground problem, check the ground as this is should be your problem. Pull apart and clean the ground and hook back up..

Let us know.

OP
OP
A

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess it helps to be looking at the correct relays. I went out today after work to take a look at how to get to the wires under the fuse relay box and found another relay cover.
This one says fans on it.
Here is what I found
You must be registered for see images

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha Ha Yes, that's the Correct place to look ;) I did say in my post the Relays are IN FRONT of the Positive Terminal :)

You can buy cheap replacement relays, but it looks like you could do with a new base ;) Its also worth carrying a spare ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21