Radiator HELP please

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car problems have been a ***** this month......Had a coolant leak, found out I need a new radiator for my 97 GTS (also have to get a fan apparently). What is the best kit to get? Is it a simple bolt on? The "how to" i see in the illustrated upgrades section for a Fluidyne radiator requires some modifications. I would like something that doesn't need any modifications. Feedback would be massively appreciated as I need to make some kind of decision tomorrow. Thanks!!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should be a fairly straight forward change. Although this is a good time to upgrade. There should be some options out there to upgrade the fan size or a better radiator that will just bolt right in. It may take some searching.

:usa:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 97 had a TSB way back in 97 that actually replaced the fan NO CHARGE for 3 years if 97 had an overheat. So, the 'fan is optional but recommended' Spendy bugger, largest 1-day MoPar price increase EVER! You could try without it, and add it later. If your car was NOT overheating (and not being tracked) you could be OK !

We do have IN STOCK the Davis Radiator as used extensively in VRL and MoPar VCC Racing. This is a drop-in rad, Under $649, all aluminum, fan-optional.

Call, CAN SHIP TODAY.......... Thank You

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could get a used radiator and a used fan from svs.I just got some things from them and they have some great price.They have the newer 99-2002 fan for $250.I'm sure the radiator would be less than that.Call 630 876 1335 and ask for ron jr.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up getting the Ron Davis from Partsrack before I even saw his response on here. I did a little searching and found that the fluidyne needs some modifications. The ron davis radiator and fan are over $200 less than the dealer was going to charge me for the mopar radiator and fan so it seems like a pretty good deal and something I can do by myself pretty quick.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up getting the Ron Davis from Partsrack before I even saw his response on here. I did a little searching and found that the fluidyne needs some modifications. The ron davis radiator and fan are over $200 less than the dealer was going to charge me for the mopar radiator and fan so it seems like a pretty good deal and something I can do by myself pretty quick.

Chip, Thank you (again) The Alum RDR radiator shipped TODAY and the fan assy goes out tomorrow....................

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck. Mine leaked new out of the box, and after having to pay shipping to return it, am on my second.

I would pressure test it before installing it.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/610376-brand-new-radiator-leaks.html

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, come on man. Well I hope not, i've had enough car bills the last month for maintenace. Thanks Jon

You did buy what I would call the one with the second least amount of bad votes. Yeah, they all have them, but here is the official score that I keep:

Fluidyne - most bad votes

Ron Davis - second most bad votes

Alan's - least amount of bad votes

Bad votes being defined as either negative comments or problems reported. I know, unscientific, but nonetheless my next radiator will be an Alan's based on my own study.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Haha, come on man. Well I hope not, i've had enough car bills the last month for maintenace. Thanks Jon

You are WELCOME and Dont worry..... what he's gonna do someday means his RDR rad is working just fine..(a habitual contrarian after my posts, for his self-gratification-amusement)

It does not reguire statistical genius to figure out if you have only been making Viper radiators for MONTHS (vs 12+ years,) you will indeed have 'fewer complaints'!!

{{And if someone cant deal with prepaid call-tags, they cant get free shipping, despite the BEST HONORABLE INTENTIONS of the manufacturer, who's vendor sent a replacement rad UP FRONT in that rare, 1-of-a-kind situation.}}

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did buy what I would call the one with the second least amount of bad votes. Yeah, they all have them, but here is the official score that I keep:

Bad votes being defined as either negative comments or problems reported. I know, unscientific, but nonetheless my next radiator will be an Alan's based on my own study.

Whoa, you forgot one....with the least bad votes....STOCK brass radiator . I can send you a recore stock ( 3-row...better than stock) for $433 . Or, I can get you a new perfectly stock radiator . Good for 10 years. Ask Dan at DC which he prefers.....I think he knows a few things about radiator choices.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm done with mopar parts. I did forget to mention that they also wanted to replace my water pump. I just had that same place install a brand new water pump less than 2 years go, less than 9k miles. So no more stock parts for me

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pressure test any radiator just to be safe. My Ron Davis Is working fine!!!! Thanks JonB!!!;)

This is a post by you earlier about your first Ron Davis failing. So I assume the one that is working fine for you is your second one.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/614994-sending-back-ron-davis-radiator.html

There is also a post in that same thread by a vendor that sells the Ron Davis unit, whereas it is said that 4% of them are defective. It would be at the bottom of post #9 in that thread.

And while it is claimed that my headaches with Ron Davis and the service I got from them were like walking on rose pedals for the King, I incurred all costs and delays including shipping for this problem. All I got from the vendor I purchased the unit from was an address to send it back to. Nothing was prepaid. No compensation.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be weak, haven't had morning coffee or breakfast yet, I respect both of your opinions, always read your posts, and this is painful like watching 2 friends fighting over a girl

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfr2CgIPhg[/media]

.....had my wife slug me in the arm....sorry for butting in

at least we have our Vipers (& last night Shell V-power $3.45/gal wooohoo)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I respect both of your opinions, always read your posts...

Interesting comment. I've complimented our vendors here many times on their technical knowledge base, yet some still find amusement in creating a stir when I post stuff that I've learned here that is not consistent with their business direction. Even more disturbing when I find an old post where someone gets caught saying something contradictory to their current statement.

I am the first to admit that I try hard to be the class clown, but when I frequent the serious technical posts/replies I try to ensure it can be backed up. I also admit fault when I make one, and have no business ties that influence what I say. It makes my perspective different than others.

Whew. Anyone have a 12-pack they can spare?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting comment. I've complimented our vendors here many times on their technical knowledge base, yet some still find amusement in creating a stir when I post stuff that I've learned here that is not consistent with their business direction. Even more disturbing when I find an old post where someone gets caught saying something contradictory to their current statement.

I am the first to admit that I try hard to be the class clown, but when I frequent the serious technical posts/replies I try to ensure it can be backed up. I also admit fault when I make one, and have no business ties that influence what I say. It makes my perspective different than others.

I got a case for you if you want to fly to cali and rice up my car. :D

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll send you a damn keg if you send me a life size likeness of you with those bitchin white socks those "short" shorts on. :lmao:

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new rad problem one time,is ONE TIME TO MANY!!! I have Alan's and it was a perfect fit!He also supplied the updated fan which bolted right up with NO MODIFICATION at all!:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't know why this has been bugging me, but the operative line in my previous post is ".....had my wife slug me in the arm....sorry for butting in"

never want to be the cause of driving someone to drink:)

unless it’s me of course.

thanks crazyspeed for the option, will keep it in mind for the future

shalom

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new radiator is in. Do I have to get nuts and bolts myself? The Ron Davis didn't come with anything besides the drain plug and elbow fitting. Anyone with the Ron Davis want to chime in? I need to figure out how to secure it...

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I prefer the stock radiator. How many bad votes for the OEM?. If I can get you a terrific price on a new oem or a 3 row oem recore ????

just trying to help:)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan's Performance rads. are works of art. Mine was beautifully fabricated but the front mounting studs were the wrong thread pitch and both broke off easily when I tried to use the original nuts!! I had to make my own front nuts with sleaves that could reach what was left of the studs... wish I had a pic to post... I'll have to go take a few.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in too.:drive:

I bought 2 (two) Ron Davis radiators from JonB. One went south and started to leak after 1 year, so instead of returning it and dealing with all the hazzle shiping it here and there, I just bought another from JonB.
I kept the old leaking one in my garage and participated in one of those RD radiator threads about my leaking radiator.

JonB called me and said that RD would like to get my radiator back to see what they could do to solve the situation. So I packed it and they called about 1 week later. For some odd reason it looked like the old radiator was distorted. Beats me, but to make sure there was not a reaccuring condition on my car, I pulled out the new radiator off the car and took pictures of it for RD.

Ron Davis sales manager called again and we reached an agreement that they would repair the old one for me free of charge. This was fine with me, since 2 good radiators is always better than one. I could use the #1 (older one) as a spare.

To my suprise they called 1 day later..... They were afterall not going to repair my old one as we agreed on, but they wanted to send my a brand new one, free of charge. And they did.

I am still driving with the "#2" RD radiator in the car, no leaks inspite hard lapping at Poconos! It is now 2 years old.

Only thing I can say for anyone considering RD radiator, They have been long time in business and manufactured lots of radiators. Mine had a problem with it, which was undetermined what caused it. Inspite of that Ron Davis Radiators decided not only to honor our agreement for a warranty service, but they offered a new one at no charge.

#1 was out of warranty at that point, so for a company to take care of customers as they did with me if absolutely fantastic. For JonB to call me is equally fantastic. There is a good reason to support vendors as both above.:2tu::usa:

My 2 cents.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in too.:drive:

I bought 2 (two) Ron Davis radiators from JonB. One went south and started to leak after 1 year, so instead of returning it and dealing with all the hazzle shiping it here and there, I just bought another from JonB.
I kept the old leaking one in my garage and participated in one of those RD radiator threads about my leaking radiator.

JonB called me and said that RD would like to get my radiator back to see what they could do to solve the situation. So I packed it and they called about 1 week later. For some odd reason it looked like the old radiator was distorted. Beats me, but to make sure there was not a reaccuring condition on my car, I pulled out the new radiator off the car and took pictures of it for RD.

Ron Davis sales manager called again and we reached an agreement that they would repair the old one for me free of charge. This was fine with me, since 2 good radiators is always better than one. I could use the #1 (older one) as a spare.

To my suprise they called 1 day later..... They were afterall not going to repair my old one as we agreed on, but they wanted to send my a brand new one, free of charge. And they did.

I am still driving with the "#2" RD radiator in the car, no leaks inspite hard lapping at Poconos! It is now 2 years old.

Only thing I can say for anyone considering RD radiator, They have been long time in business and manufactured lots of radiators. Mine had a problem with it, which was undetermined what caused it. Inspite of that Ron Davis Radiators decided not only to honor our agreement for a warranty service, but they offered a new one at no charge.

#1 was out of warranty at that point, so for a company to take care of customers as they did with me if absolutely fantastic. For JonB to call me is equally fantastic. There is a good reason to support vendors as both above.:2tu::usa:

My 2 cents.

I prefer a product that does NOT cause me to REPEATEDLY do disassembly on my car, hassle with sending DEFECTIVE product back, and cover their ass by claiming great customer service.

First line of defense... DO NOT SELL CRAP!!!

There are mounting reports here of multiple failures of Ron Davis products. So while making your choice on which one to put in your car, also set aside a savings account for future R&R if you make the wrong selection.

My $600.00