radiator questions

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just discoverd that my aluminum radiator is leaking. i took it out and took it to a radiator repair shop and they said it was unfixable. i did buy the car with this in it. i was wondering if i should spend the money for another aluminum radiator or will a stock one work just fine? i have not heard anything good about the aluminum ones. any advise would be appriciated.
also if anyone has a stock radiator for a gen 2 for sale let me know.
thanks
rich v.
[email protected]

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why it would be fixable, but I would go with another aluminum one. They are supposed to cool more efficiently. Maybe talk to Alan at Alan's Performance. He has a triple bypass that is suppose to work well.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Alan's3 radiator and I'm pleased with it the only time I heat up is if I'm sitting still and the fan has not kicked on yet (there is a way to turn on your fan whenever you want without re-flashing your computer). I also have a 02 stock radiator with about 9k miles on it if you decide you want to go that way

Venom-US

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get a second opinion because most radiator leaks can be repaired. Sounds like they want to sell you a new one. IMHO

OP
OP
R

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the shop i took it too is a local shop with a good reputation. i took it out myself and just took the radiator there, they are not even charging me for the check out.
knight, how much do u want for yours?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact JonB at Parts Rack, and get the Ron Davis Aluminum. You probably have the updated (later model) cooling fan since you have an aluminum radiator. The Ron Davis is a Drop In, no cutting or hacking necessary.

http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/home.php

http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1332&cat=&page=1

CALL JON:
(360) 837-3937

Later,

That's not quite true. I have the Ron Davis rad and you need to trim the rad support under the bottom of the left side for access to the drain plug. Mine was leaking at all four corners, rad shop fixed it, was under $100.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So not to hijack this thread, but are there any aftermarket radiators that don't require cutting or trimming?

Back on topic, I find it surprising that the shop can't fix an alum radiator, unless the leaks are coming from parts of the radiator that are surrounded by the fins or something.

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some radiators are assembled using epoxy instead of welding. This is probably the issue here. My radiators are completely welded and use Visteon cores. This is one really rugged ""drop in"" radiator. I also offer the improved cooling fan.
Here is a link to my radiator and some other cooling items.
http://alansperformance.com/alpe3pacura.html
Alan