Radiator rebuild advice

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything i should make sure to mention or expect when taking my radiator to the shop tomorrow to get rebuilt? * keeping in mind i dont race my car and plan to keep it stock and would like to keep the rebuild cost reasonable.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my factory radiator rebuilt with a custom 3 row core for $450. I would recommend that for anyone in a hot climate. the only other issues I've seen are getting the inlet and outlet connections oriented properly when reassembling it. Take some good pics of it side front top etc so when they F it up you can say it ain't right.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my factory radiator rebuilt with a custom 3 row core for $450. I would recommend that for anyone in a hot climate. the only other issues I've seen are getting the inlet and outlet connections oriented properly when reassembling it. Take some good pics of it side front top etc so when they F it up you can say it ain't right.

For $450 or around that price I would take a look at Snake Oyl Products.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $450 or around that price I would take a look at Snake Oyl Products.

So the $800 radiator at Snake Oyl is a performance and budgetary challenge to repairing the factory one at $450? Using an aluminum core that cools 2.5x worse than copper and will surely fail?

Well I'll be.

Signed, Dave, who has used and tested most brands of aluminum radiators in his '01 GTS, having some of them leak new out of the box, and the rest failing within days or a few months.

To the OP, if you want to get rid of your OE radiator let me know. I can help you with a downpayment toward a shiny new silver one.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Snake Oyl Radiator in my 1997 GEN II GTS. It got installed right before winter. So I do not have alot of time on it yet although McCann Racing has had alot of success with them. The 1997s had the smaller radiator fan. I also upgraded my fan with the later GEN II larger radiator fan. Got the new fan from Viper Parts of America.

For what it is worth I wouldn't bother rebuilding the dinky stock radiator.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock radiator is two 1" thick copper rows. My custom 3 row is... um... well... three 1" thick copper rows.

Most aluminum radiators are three 1" thick aluminum rows. That have thermal conductivity numbers way short of copper.

So, is the factory radiator "dinky?" No, more like you like to buy shiny stuff LOL.

Did you get a long warranty? Are you going to go spank the dog crap out of it in the 110 degree weather like my test bed? No, quite likely after a few trips to car shows and 7 coats of wax later, you'll say it's a great product.

LOL

OP
OP
B

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I'm sold. Taking it to a shop in the morning to get the factory radiator rebuilt with a 3 row core. Thanks for the help!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After Dave's very thorough experience with aftermarket radiators I'd say get a local, reputable shop that knows radiators and have them rebuild your radiator for you. This is my plan when my radiator craps to bed.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Alan's Performance Radiator, 700$. Installed in 06. Still working great. It is a little thicker than stock. Works well in the Sacramento heat.

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to Dave. I skipped the aftermarket stuff, got the factory rad rebuilt locally for $280 and that **** is perfect now.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave is right. The black one on the left is a rebuilt 3-core stocker and it doesn't fit. I'm not certain a 3-core is needed but I got it anyway. The fins per inch is 16.

RebuiltOutOfSpec.jpg

1194.jpg

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave is the man when it comes to cooling issues...he has been there and done that.

Good pictures and measurements before the rebuild is a great idea. I too had my 96 stock rebuilt and had to take it back to have the inlet and outlet tubes reset after the initial rebuild left them mounted to wide like the ones in Chucks photo.

OP
OP
B

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took Dave's advice and should be able to pick it up from the shop tuesday. Thank you Dave and everyone else

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave is right. The black one on the left is a rebuilt 3-core stocker and it doesn't fit. I'm not certain a 3-core is needed but I got it anyway. The fins per inch is 16.
Chuck, a stock 3 cored radiator doesn't fit??? I'm looking at doing this soon. I have no issues with recoring my factory one as long as it fits

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock radiator is 2 core and has the tank width necessary to allow a three core rebuild. Care needs to be taken during the rebuild when the end tanks are installed so the inlet and outlet are properly angled.

That is why photos and measurements are a good idea to provide with the radiator when you drop it off.

I had to show the radiator shop Chucks photo for the them to get it right the second time.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 3 core copper radiator using the OE end tanks. Why would it not fit :dunno:

Tell the shop not to dick with the hose nozzles and then there will be no issues.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4