Random thoughts...

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most cars, once warmed up you can casually stretch 'em up to about 3500rpm - 4000rpm gently before shifting and not break the speed limit. Let em breathe a little and just stretch things out. Now, you're not accelerating hard mind you, just cruising and savoring the later shifts - listening to that beautiful mechanical music.

In most cars this doesn't put you too much over the speed limit by the time you shift casually into 4th. ;)

Now, in the Viper with that stock 3.07 rear, doing so results in just about a nice leisurely 70mph or so when you go to shift out of 3rd gear. :) Again, not really accelerating hard or anything - just simply savoring that shift at 3500 or so. Makes city driving rather frustrating - you get to enjoy 1st, then slip into 4th for speed limited cruising. It's amazing how 80ish in the Viper feels like 35ish in the other cars. No, it's not amazing. It's just frustrating.

Stupid speed limits and short roads anyhow.

So this past Thursday night I went out for a late spin around midnight...cruising my usual haunts just listening to some music and enjoying the cool 70 degree weather (you savor every low humidity evening you get this time of year in Texas!)...

From out of nowhere I see a pair of headlights screaming up on me in the next lane from about a half mile back. I'm doing 45 so this monkey must be doing close to 100 or so. Flys by at about 100 and turns out its a later model MR2. Nice car actually. Not really riced out and sounds pretty decent.

We both hit the next red side by side and there are no cars around in any direction...ordinarily this would be a great chance to experiment with some "delayed shifting" but, with the new street racing laws in Texas, I've just pretty much decided that it's not worth losing my license over for a year. That's automatic now if busted for street racing and I can't live without being able to drive. I still play when conditions meet my requirements but I do so by myself...might still get a massive speeding ticket but at least I won't automatically lose my license.

The light turns green and I ease into first and up to the speed limit...no excess, no showboating...no drama and no real show of speed. The MR2 seems to just cruise behind me and catches up...I have the windows down and as he pulls up next to me he's yelling over :

"Hey! Man that's no fair from a dig - let's do it from a roll!"

I'm kinda in shock wondering if I got on it 20 minutes before or something...then it dawns on me that just simply stretching the Viper out gently and slowly to 3500 before shifting in 1st and 2nd STILL wins "races" with other normal cars. Crazy!

I told him I didn’t' feel like spending any more time in jail for street racing and he kinda got this odd look on his face before turning off at the next street. Guess not everyone's up on the new laws yet (or some folks are still up for the gamble).

It's pretty tough in situations like that to "just say no" - familiar roads, no traffic - just the two of us on a one way 3 lane back road. Very hard to swallow the urge and just keep cruising. :(

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have given him just a taste. Slamm it hard for about 2-3 seconds then let off so you won't get into any big trouble. That probably would have gave him a heart attack.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about that (afterwards of course)...and it wasn't an f-body or 'stang so it would have been "safe".

Safe = the local police have purchased a dozen or more of each (Mustang GTs and Z28s) and are out in force baiting would be street racers now in said pony cars each and every night. ****** me right the F off but what can you do? They do it with drugs and prostitution so I guess street racing was inevitable...

I know more than a few guys up in Plano that have been busted HARD by this little bait n switch in the past 2 weeks. Sigh.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You were SMART. It's not worth it. Thanks for the Mustang & Z28 Cop car info. I didn't know about that. Hope they don't buy any VIPERS!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safe = the local police have purchased a dozen or more of each (Mustang GTs and Z28s)
and are out in force baiting would be street racers now in said pony cars each and every
night. ****** me right the F off but what can you do? They do it with drugs and prostitution
so I guess street racing was inevitable...

Isn't that entrapment?

If they weren't there in the "rice/race cars" and encouraging the public to race...
********!!
:mad: :mad:

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope they don't buy any VIPERS!

They won't buy Vipers - they'll try to bust us and simply take ours!

<shiver>

As far away as MSR is from where I live it's just not worth it anymore to risk it on the street (for a # of reasons). I still have fun on familiar roads, just not lined up with someone.

Besides, MSR is much more fun anyhow. ;)

BTW, the pony cars are unmarked (of course). Their usual MO is to bait and race with cops perched just upstream from where they start their roll-on. From what I've heard by the time the race reaches the waiting cops it's pretty much over and the "bait" car heads back to troll some more.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a hard habbit to break...as long as I was the only person in the car, on familiar roads with no intersections and with no traffic (a rare combo but these roads do exist here in Texas at least - quite a few just around the corner here from the house in fact...) it was always game on before Sept 1st.

From the sounds of it, parts of CA (I've only heard about LA being extraordianly strict) has some pretty stiff street racing laws as well. All sorts of bad mojo there...losing your license AND your car potentially? Forget it...

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus, so i guess msot of these ricer punks dont read, or are too stupid to realize the basic consequences of street racing huh?

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus, so i guess msot of these ricer punks dont read, or are too stupid to realize the basic consequences of street racing huh?

Dunno...hard to say. I'm pretty sure that had these laws gone into effect when I was younger I would have still gambled a bit more with it but I personally have a lot more to lose nowadays. You know?

Also, I wouldn't call these guys "ricer punks". As I always say, "If it's fast, I like it!" - I don't care what it is. A lot of folks have trouble giving the import crowd any kind of respect, which is a real shame. At the end of it all, we're all the same kind of enthusiast. We just choose different rides (or are lucky enough to be able to choose different rides such as the Viper).

A few guys at work who still street race had absolutely no clue about the Sept 1 laws so I'm sure it's a mixed bag...if I wasn't involved in various forums as much as I am I probably would have to find out the hard way...

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Nexus-6,
Any idea exactly where this Cop baiting takes place? I'd like to go there and play with them. I have some local TV News contacts that might be interested in doing a story on this from the angle that the public is being put in danger by this Cop tactic, would love to "bust" them! We all know they break the speed limits all the time even when they have no offical reason to be doing so because they can. Would be nice to give them a taste of their own medicine.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DD -

Parker near Coit is what I've heard...Park during the afternoon pretty much anywhere is also bad but Parker is the one spot I've heard repeated a few times.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safe = the local police have purchased a dozen or more of each (Mustang GTs and Z28s)
and are out in force baiting would be street racers now in said pony cars each and every
night. ****** me right the F off but what can you do? They do it with drugs and prostitution
so I guess street racing was inevitable...

Isn't that entrapment?

If they weren't there in the "rice/race cars" and encouraging the public to race...
********!!
:mad: :mad:

I say entrapment - and then the cops want our respect!!!

There's a world apart between a simple fun run on a deserted street for a few quick seonds then back off - and illegal street racing where drug trafficers do deals, the speeds get crazy in a built up zone, and regular passers by get intimiated off.

There's also real crime like - burglaries, robberies, general theft, violence, kidnappings - children missing, rapes etc - why don't they put their energies into that? Seems racing a guy in a fast car to bust them is now better than police work. If you enjoy your Viper - you are more a criminal now than the animal that breaks into your home and steals your stuff - go figure.

There's no common sense.

If a guy kills someone racing on the street - do them for manslaughter - but don't try to turn the world into penguins by making every one who enjoys being an American (or free) into a criminal - its nuts. I've yet to meet ANY cop who can drive that doesn't enjoy the same as the rest of us - a good blast once in a while. Those who hate it can't drive anyway so they can't understand us.

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen Torquie.

Here's yet another Texas law that passed Sept 1st...no letters or numbers on your Texas license plate can be covered or even touched by your license plate frame. This also includes the "TEXAS" logo across the top...right where all frames reside. The fine is up to $200.

This too is something that, believe it or not, they've been enforcing pretty heavily in this area since Sept 1st. Just trying to spread the word I'm certain. :(

This is about the same as not having a front plate. In other words, an esthetics tax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te